Advice on the right cross for me

Hi guys,

Right this is the situation. I'm moving out soon, I have two dogs one a saluki collie lurcher, one a terrier cross. The terrier isnt mine, more a family dog. The lurcher is mine. The problem is I work all day, can't take the the terrier and my lurcher and the terrier are like a little pack now and hate being apart. My lurcher is coming on for 9 and is bait set in her ways and doesn't really like change. Iv thought long nd hard about it, and if I was being selfish I would take her ( where I'm moving to I can't take both, that's out of the question) so I have decided to grit my teeth and leave her behind.

When I move I'm going to need another dog, well lurcher bitch. It's going to be weird leaving my girl behind but it really is for the best, nut I'm going to need another dog. Iv had a dog by my side since I can remember so this is my requirements. It will come to work with me everyday in my truck, so can't be to big, must have the physique at least and potential to take fur and feather and be quiet game to hit cover for quarry. I'm thinking collie or terrier greyhound. But I'm thinking what cross 3/4 or 1/2. I don't really want to end up with a 30" dog I'm looking for 25" max.

What do you guys reckon? F1collie cross? Wheaton cross? Really want to keep size down a fair bit but has to be able to give most edibles a go.

What's your opinion, and I have to stress this, if YOU have absolutely nothing constructive to add just don't bother replying, I don't suffer fools gladly and you will be told to politely to told to go forth and pro-create if I get any wise cracks or un helpful remarks

Cheers

Treefella

Cheers for the replys guys. I did think about lurcher x lurcher but I am a bit worried I could end up with something where the owner says there's a tad of deerhound in it and the pup ends up levelling out at 29inches. Iv seen it happen. I know it sound silly but I really want to be sure of the size (well as best I can, cut out as many variables. I am well aware it's a gamble with genetics) I don't want anything under 22 or over 25. It's going to sit in my transit during the day and I employ someone so it has to be smaller. I thought about going to Hancock (I know i know) but I know if I go for a first cross from him it will level out not to big, a bit h anyway. What do first cross wheatons level out at generally. Iv had collies all my life but wheatons interest me and a change would be nice. The dog will be walked twice a day and worked probably 3 times a week and sit in the truck for most of the day and a bit of a walk at lunch time. Would a wheaton suit this? Or should I just stick to collie based curs?

I know what your saying about the size throwback, even if both parents are 24" and there is deerhound somewhere down the line then a pup could throw 27" or more.

However I reckon you would get an idea from how even the litter is, either go for a really even litter from similarly sized parents or go for a pretty uneven litter and pick one of the smallest pups.

I think you would have to be pretty unlucky if both parents were 24", you picked the smallest pup from the litter and it reached 27"! Lol.

But i see your concerns! I reckon a Wheaton/Grey could suit you well or If you wanted the 1/4 Wheaten then maybe go Wheaten/Grey x Whippet to keep the size down.

All the best in your search,

Gaz

it sounds like a collie/whippet/ greyhound is what your looking for. just keep away fom something with deerhound in it and you wont go wrong.

50% border collie

25% whippet

25% greyhound

the jobs a good un :thumbs:

I honestly don't think that the exact breeding really matters, apart from the size issue of course, but temperament is absolutely vital: make sure that the parents are sensible, steady dogs which are working well: the rest is down to you, but a bit of Collie always helps IMO. For what you want I'd steer clear of anything with a lot of Saluki in it, but apart from that: why not go lurcher to lurcher? An inch or two either way won't make or break your truck! If you restrict yourself to certain straight crosses you could be doing yourself out of a really good pup.

As far as sitting in the truck for most of the day is concerned: make sure you have a good strong cage to put the pup in! No pup or young dog is going to be happy sitting around in a truck all day, but of course it will eventually get used to it and see it as a second home......and of course there's the house training issue as well: you need a bloody big cage for it so there is room for a toilet area at one end and a bed at the other or you end up with a stressed and filthy pup who has no idea where it can and can't crap and pee.

it sounds like a collie/whippet/ greyhound is what your looking for. just keep away fom something with deerhound in it and you wont go wrong.

50% border collie

25% whippet

25% greyhound

I agree with this. Alternatively you wont go wrong with a first cross Collie greyhound (I do like some of the Hancock Border and beardie1st x's) or even a Bedlington greyhound like my old girl. She was 24 tts, had a lovely temperament once she matured and was a very handy worker :thumbs:

Edited by omegathelast

50% border collie

25% whippet

25% greyhound

I agree with this. Alternatively you wont go wrong with a first cross Collie greyhound (I do like some of the Hancock Border 1st x's) or even a Bedlington greyhound like my old girl. She was 24 tts, had a lovely temperament once she matured and was a very handy worker :thumbs:

Whats wrong with having deerhound?

I have 2 bitches the sire is greyhound x collie x deerhound and the dam a pure whippet cracking little dogs for what i want them for.

Hes saying no deerhound because he doesnt want the risk of throwing to deerhound height, hes not knocking the breed.

Gaz