Hare dogs (Pre ban)

So Pre ban when we could go out and run hares

How big did pure hare dogs tend to be? is there an ideal height you would have gone for?

I'm not talking ones that took one here and there I meen dogs that when you slipped them week in week out you were coming back with good numbers!

What would be the smallest that you think a dog could be, And come back with good numbers?

Atb

Edited by Rogue and running dog

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this bitch was well under 23 inch and could catch a few pre ban!

my mate has a whippet with feathered ears and tail still up for it

i think it   i think they aimed at 50yard slips,,,and pure whips didnt catch much with that law   also some pure whip ,,,not ALL,,,wouldnt live with a hare if hare decided enough is enough and to

Posted Images

There's been plenty good small ones,, I remember just a few week befor the ban came in being on a big day on the fen by invite, and Clive had a good little black dog about 22 inch,, that had 5 that day if I remember right...

But I have seen a good few others that weren't much bigger 23 inch mark

Reasonable numbers!

Ye I get that you will get smaller dogs that can pick em up well!

My dad was showing me pictures of a whippet grey that he had about 20" that did hares regularly he said it got them because it figured out how to get them to turn and then snapped em as he cut them off rather than being a speed demon! But I thought that would be pretty small for a decent hare dog!

remember watching a old forley video with a bitch on it called mini probably mid nineties looked like a whippet but had a lot of saluki in her breeding. only small but could she pressure a hare ran all over the top of them. looked like she could end the course at anytime but took a fair time to strike.

when coursing whippets under rules. what was the slipping distance 35 yds?

I think so, yes.

i think it

when coursing whippets under rules. what was the slipping distance 35 yds?

I think so, yes.

i think they aimed at 50yard slips,,,and pure whips didnt catch much with that law

also some pure whip ,,,not ALL,,,wouldnt live with a hare if hare decided enough is enough and took off,,,,some pure,s aint that fast,,,again not ALL ,,u get good and bad in every breed sort off speak

• Like 1