Hare dogs (Pre ban)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this bitch was well under 23 inch and could catch a few pre ban!

my mate has a whippet with feathered ears and tail still up for it

i think it   i think they aimed at 50yard slips,,,and pure whips didnt catch much with that law   also some pure whip ,,,not ALL,,,wouldnt live with a hare if hare decided enough is enough and to

Posted Images

In Whipp hare coursing back in the day it was 50yrd slips and the idea was NOT to catch the hare but to turn it first for 3 points and the 1 point for each turn after,between two dogs decided by the judge on horseback.

Bryan.

That's a rather simplyfied version of the rules. The W.C.C. Rules were based on the N.C.C., (Greyhound), rules; and were virtualy identical apart from the "law"; which was 100 yards for Greyhounds, and 30 yards for Whippets. Also the "run-up" points were changed to reflect the shorter "law"; 3 points, (max), for a Greyhound, but only 1 1/2 for Whippets. Hares were rarely caught in Whippet coursing; and such experts as Douglas-Todd and Walsh, (who disagreed massively about Whippet coursing), agreed that the Whippet was, generaly , overmatched by a hare, even though Walsh was the Secretary of the W.C.C. !!

Of course Whippets will take daytime hares, I have seen it. But, at the end of the day there are far better types for coursing hares !! :thumbs:

Cheers/

• Like 1

In Whipp hare coursing back in the day it was 50yrd slips and the idea was NOT to catch the hare but to turn it first for 3 points and the 1 point for each turn after,between two dogs decided by the judge on horseback.

Bryan.

That's a rather simplyfied version of the rules. The W.C.C. Rules were based on the N.C.C., (Greyhound), rules; and were virtualy identical apart from the "law"; which was 100 yards for Greyhounds, and 30 yards for Whippets. Also the "run-up" points were changed to reflect the shorter "law"; 3 points, (max), for a Greyhound, but only 1 1/2 for Whippets. Hares were rarely caught in Whippet coursing; and such experts as Douglas-Todd and Walsh, (who disagreed massively about Whippet coursing), agreed that the Whippet was, generaly , overmatched by a hare, even though Walsh was the Secretary of the W.C.C. !!

Of course Whippets will take daytime hares, I have seen it. But, at the end of the day there are far better types for coursing hares !! :thumbs:

Cheers/

Yet when used correctly in a cross, can make some outstanding hare killing lurchers, funny isent it, just goes to show you what they mean about hybrid vigour :thumbs:

Bryan.

Cheers/

Agreed the hare was the ultimate game for a whippet, there was no bigger test than that.