Can anybody tell me how to train my pup 2 walk to heel and how to control his prey drive. Thanks

what age bud, i wouldn't recommend puppy classes, no offence meant leegreen but the ones i;ve come across, classes are about stopping pups doing things seemly to make them social and are for pets not working dogs,

methods used on a german shepard pup would destroy a lurcher pup mentally , as far as i can figure out every dog trainer settles on a certain method and treats every dog the same, not a very open minded bunch,

• Like 1

heeling can be thought simply by creating a desire in the dog for an item, ball or similar ,

this is then used to encourage the pup to heel beside you , heel for a few meters ,then give the command heel after a few more meters , give the "yes" to tell the pup its done right and launch the ball , heeling will become a way for something exciting to happen for the pup in its own mind,,

• Like 1

well im starting from scrach with my dog mate and he pulls like a rhino on the lead i tend to just pull him back fairly hard and tell him heel and once he has done it for a while i unclip the lead and tell him again heel and if he dont do it its back on the lead hes getting better at it now thats just a way i thought of might be rong in some peoples eyes but it seems to work for me

Get a whippy stick , get the dog at your side on lead , walk and if dog tries walking on tap it under the chin with the whippy stick (now I don't mean hurt the dog with the stick just a tap to make the dog not walk on ) do this while walking tight to a hedge or wall so she can't pull away from you :thumbs:

Alex until you got the dog walking to heel on the lead its pointless trying to do it with him off it.

Get the walking to heel corrected on the lead first, then when he gets what it is you want from him, try and do it off he lead. A good way to start this is to keep the lead on his neck and laid over his back so he half thinks your still holding him.

When he is walking to heel like this, then wrap the lead round his neck not tightly just so he can feel it (like a collar would).

Try doing your lessons in smaller chunks as opposed to trying to run before you can walk (excuse the pun).

Hurlock

Can anybody tell me how to train my pup 2 walk to heel and how to control his prey drive. Thanks

what age bud, i wouldn't recommend puppy classes, no offence meant leegreen but the ones i;ve come across, classes are about stopping pups doing things seemly to make them social and are for pets not working dogs,

methods used on a german shepard pup would destroy a lurcher pup mentally , as far as i can figure out every dog trainer settles on a certain method and treats every dog the same, not a very open minded bunch,

No offence taken mate, but Mr T doesn't seem to know much about pups and I also supposed that he didn't personally know anyone that could help him so I suggested puppy classes. Also making them social (puppys that is) is more important than making them walk to heal imo and you can take from classes what you will.

Teaching a pup to walk to heal is very basic and he was asking for help, so it seemed obvious to me. But I am a complete c++@ :D

Edited by leegreen

I would say get it sorted completely with lead on, when the dog is doing it right a small vocal praise. then in an narrow area with no scent or distractions about release the lead and keeping saying heel when dog is doing it. then you can use a stick as a barrier when walking keep slowly swinging it in front of the dog keeping it back. I always get my dogs to heel to the left and use a tap on left thigh to instead of having to say heel all the time.