I was out in the garden tonight with my pup and she won't retrieve or pick up the rabbit skin dummy I have. Now she's always had one of these dummies and I've never had a problen and since I've been taking her out she will pick a rabbit up and retrieve it fine, but I noticed that on sunday while out ferreting she just sniffed and licked the dead rabbits and didn't even attempt to pick them up and. Also a rabbit in the hedge in the net was in water and instead of grabbing it like she has done in the past she just barked at it!this evening she wouldn't pick the dummie up! Nothings changed in her routine and physicly she's fine so what can this be? Any help/advise much appreciated its just odd and don't want this to affect her and working. Ill add she's around 8 months now and a beddy whippet cheers for looking. Liam

Sounds like she could be going through the terrible teens mate ... Hormones all,over the place ... Give her a few weeks to settle and start again ... Don't push her to hard at this sensitive time ?...

• Like 1

I was out in the garden tonight with my pup and she won't retrieve or pick up the rabbit skin dummy I have. Now she's always had one of these dummies and I've never had a problen and since I've been taking her out she will pick a rabbit up and retrieve it fine, but I noticed that on sunday while out ferreting she just sniffed and licked the dead rabbits and didn't even attempt to pick them up and. Also a rabbit in the hedge in the net was in water and instead of grabbing it like she has done in the past she just barked at it!this evening she wouldn't pick the dummie up! Nothings changed in her routine and physicly she's fine so what can this be? Any help/advise much appreciated its just odd and don't want this to affect her and working. Ill add she's around 8 months now and a beddy whippet cheers for looking. Liam

have you told her off for mouthing a rabbit while out, she seems reluctant to engage, has she been confronted about her actions while grabbing a bunny in a net or something similar or have you disciplined her for anything recently,

dogs can tune us out to fit in, basically in a pack all the dogs have to fit in they become equal and opposite to each other , so when we show a strong emotional attachment to something a nervy dog can seem disinterested in it but its only the association with us that does it, if we weren't there the dog would be all over it,

work on the relationship, plenty of play, no confrontation just manage her, the working relationship dont just stop and start in the field for the dog , its in every interaction good and bad from the time you took charge of her ,

best of luck,

I was talking to Jim Greenwood the other day (lurcher man and dog behaviourist) and he was telling me that Beddy types are the worst for 'over reacting' if people behave in the wrong way towards the dog. Contrary to certain opinions, Jim reckons that Beddy lurchers are very sensitive to any negative words or behaviour from their handlers. Even a careless gruff word to a young dog at the wrong moment can have a knock on effect and turn them away from you mentally.

have you told her off for mouthing a rabbit while out, she seems reluctant to engage, has she been confronted about her actions while grabbing a bunny in a net or something similar or have you disciplined her for anything recently,

dogs can tune us out to fit in, basically in a pack all the dogs have to fit in they become equal and opposite to each other , so when we show a strong emotional attachment to something a nervy dog can seem disinterested in it but its only the association with us that does it, if we weren't there the dog would be all over it,

work on the relationship, plenty of play, no confrontation just manage her, the working relationship dont just stop and start in the field for the dog , its in every interaction good and bad from the time you took charge of her ,

best of luck,

cheers for that, but I havnt disaplined her in any way I try and encourage mouthing the rabbits so that she knows to pick them up in the net and like I've said I havnt had a problem in the past its only been in the last fortnight that I've noticed she's started doing it. I tried the dummy again last night with her and she picked it up and brought it back so I praised her up then the next couple of times she wouldn't do it! I've even chucked a whole rabbit around the garden and encouraged her to pick it up and she just would sniff at it then bugger off. She's happy in herself and I play with her in the house and play tug with her with a rope but once the rabbit or dummie comes out she's just not interested! I may even try her on the lamp just to see what she does see what happens then.

Has she had a season because normally a bitch will have there first season between 6-9months so if she hasnt had one my money would be that she may be coming in.atb floyd

no she hasn't had a season yet so she could be in soon, ill just keep an eye on her and see what happens

I was talking to Jim Greenwood the other day (lurcher man and dog behaviourist) and he was telling me that Beddy types are the worst for 'over reacting' if people behave in the wrong way towards the dog. Contrary to certain opinions, Jim reckons that Beddy lurchers are very sensitive to any negative words or behaviour from their handlers. Even a careless gruff word to a young dog at the wrong moment can have a knock on effect and turn them away from you mentally.

it could be that my misses might tell her off for picking up my daughters toys when I'm out of the house, I no she dosnt smack her or anything just usualy a sharp "NO!" So that could be the problem

That could well be the problem. It is difficult having kids and pups in the house together. I make it a point NEVER to tell a pup off for grabbing or carrying ANYTHING. If the pup picks up something I don't want it to have, I quickly grab something it can play with, and make the exchange, showing the pup the 'legal' item with a lot of excitement and enthusiasm.

It is hard work when all your instincts are shouting 'NO' when the pup has picked up a shoe, sock, treasured item, but any form of negative emotion on your part and the pup thinks it has done wrong for grabbing something in its mouth.

Failing that, kennel the pup and only let it in the house when there is nothing for it to chew or play with other than the things it is allowed to.

Kenneling outside is not an option as my misses loves the dog and aswell as my hunting companion she is a house pet also. Ill just try to keep encouraging play, just bought some more dog toys from the pet shop so leave them lurking around the house and make sure the little ones toys are in her room. Thanks for replys. Atb

my mate had his bitch from a pup, took her out lamping from a young age, teaching her to drop the kill. come back and all that bollocks. started cumin out wi us in subaru on fox and as soon as he gets out motor she comes off it and cowers. i did similar with my pup until i baught a saluki grey whippet which hasnt been taught a thing and this season so far hes pulled 6 or 7 charlies and stuck with em. so i stopped teaching them anything and just let them get on with it as long as they dont piss about not getting back in motor thats all that matters to me

All she's for is a bit of ferreting and marking warrens so I assumed I was doing the right thing by getting her out now and just learning the ropes. She chased two rabbits 2 night, one after the other so maybe its just using the dummy is boring her after the two runs she just seemed real keen and just hunted up the rest of our walk lol I'm sure shell be fine soon enough