deer dogs (preban)

My mate had a saluki whippet grey 23 tts that took deer regular, and his brother had a deerhound x greyx collie grey who was a big strong dog at 28tts and well let's just say he was a very very handy dog pre-ban

i think if i had to have one just for deer pre ban it would have to be a deerhound x

Saluki x for me, but i have never had a deerhound x, i just stick to what i know :thumbs:

i think the saluki would probably be a better choice if i am honest turn it into a bit of an all rounder.....

A lot of people dont like them, but put the time in, and they are hard to beat, and never revert to heavy handed tactics, or else you aint going nowhere :thumbs:

Not having a go mate, but have you actualy owned a Saluki or Saluki X ? You are dead right about the "heavy handed", by the way :thumbs:

Cheers.

Its the only cross i have ever owned, hence the reason why i never slag another x off, yet i do have good words to say about x's i have seen do good things, but i must admit, i am very biased towards my saluki x's

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

My mate had a saluki whippet grey 23 tts that took deer regular, and his brother had a deerhound x greyx collie grey who was a big strong dog at 28tts and well let's just say he was a very very handy dog pre-ban

i think if i had to have one just for deer pre ban it would have to be a deerhound x

Saluki x for me, but i have never had a deerhound x, i just stick to what i know :thumbs:

i think the saluki would probably be a better choice if i am honest turn it into a bit of an all rounder.....

A lot of people dont like them, but put the time in, and they are hard to beat, and never revert to heavy handed tactics, or else you aint going nowhere :thumbs:

Not having a go mate, but have you actualy owned a Saluki or Saluki X ? You are dead right about the "heavy handed", by the way :thumbs:

Cheers.

i would say he has he said in his other posts he would stick to what he knew ie the saluki breed :thumbs:

RAED THE POTS PROMPETLY YOU OLD FART CHARTI

• Like 1

theres deer and theres deer ,theres no good having a big heavy built dog that cant stick a long run on a good roe ,unless it does the job quick it will get left behind ,and its no good having a light frame dog on the bigger stuff sika .fallow .has they might do the odd one .but a nice strong type will prove its self time and time again

• Like 3
Guest bigdaddylongchopper

Cheers.

i would say he has he said in his other posts he would stick to what he knew ie the saluki breed :thumbs:

time charty had hes horlicks and got hes head down,he be a right grumpy old git in the morning if he has a late night :laugh:

• Like 3

Cheers.

I know an awful lot about Boeing 747's and Lockheed c130's, but, strangely enough, I've never owned one !! LOL !!!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Cheers.

Its the only cross i have ever owned, hence the reason why i never slag another x off, yet i do have good words to say about x's i have seen do good things, but i must admit, i am very biased towards my saluki x's

how long would you find these courses last gamerooster i.e a deer in the open (i no everyone is different etc...)

i.e would some be long drawn out like some hare courses were the saluki breed excel?

Edited by Ray Mears

Cheers.

how long would you find these courses last gamerooster i.e a deer in the open (i no everyone is different etc...)

How long is a peice of string, depended on the terrain, the dog, the condition the ground was in, bucks or does, the law, and the time of year, anywhere from seconds to 2 minutes, but the later where poor or in-experienced dogs

Cheers.

How long is a peice of string, depended on the terrain, the dog, the condition the ground was in, bucks or does, the law, and the time of year, anywhere from seconds to 2 minutes, but the later where poor or in-experienced dogs

so no need for the stamina of a saluki x for it then depending on ground and all other aspects etc

got to look at both sides there mate, not really an anser to that question if you as me, its a very wide open question , dog and deer. good deer will run for its life and could be tricky to bring to the ground for even a expirienced dog. a not so good deer woud maybe not have so much go go in his tank and the result woud come to an end sooner than later..

Cheers.

so no need for the stamina of a saluki x for it then depending on ground and all other aspects etc

My dogs were dual purpose, hares as well, so yes i needed the Saluki saturated dogs, but I suspect there was many a cross that had no Saluki in the regularly took deer.

got to look at both sides there mate, not really an anser to that question if you as me, its a very wide open question , dog and deer. good deer will run for its life and could be tricky to bring to the ground for even a expirienced dog. a not so good deer woud maybe not have so much go go in his tank and the result woud come to an end sooner than later..

thats what i was trying to get at mate i was going the long route :laugh: but i think i would go with something thats pacy and on it like a rash from the start if you like rather than a steady dog just my opinion :thumbs:

nice looking mut poacher does look big though :blink::laugh: seen bred out of a 22 thought it looked fookin big :laugh:

Edited by Ray Mears