Amazes me that people have money to throw away for this kind of thing .If the place is that cold then all you need to do is make the beds smaller and more confined so the dog heats its own surroundings .The only condition a dog needs is a draught proof enviroment with a good layer of straw underneath it.Insulate the building as a whole and the dogs will do very well but dont forget ventilation up high .Heating WILL make the dog soft for long periods of out door work .This is nothing to do with a macho, hard on the dog thing but from experience of keeping terriers and lurchers for over 30 years .

Nothing wrong with a bit of extra help in the way of heating your kennels though mate, especially if the weather is extreme, and they come in from a day or nights graft wet through, i have a tubular heater, but never had to use it yet this year, i will know when to put it in use, give em a good rub down when i come in, if the weather gets really bad, then a good rub down, and on it will go, long haired dogs will hold the wet, i have whippets, easier to dry off

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

these cost a few pence to run a day

our kennel is wooden, all boarded with 9mm ply, then a layer of that insulation about 2 inch thick comes in sheeets then ply wood again over the top, will last years and once in it cost nothing, letti

For my kennels i insulated with Celotex insulaton, same as Kingspan which is 2" thick foam sheeting with a foil wrapping. I put this on the walls and roof then coverd that with tounge and groove in th

Dry your dogs off by all means but heating is a big no in my book .Drape a sack over the bed entrance and they will be fine in extreme weather .The only time heat should be used is when a dog is seriously knocked up and i use a heat lamp to minimise stress and trauma but all other times they are well bedded and draught free .

I know what your saying foxdropper but useing a frost stat your hardly heating the kennel by keeping it around or just above freezing, my main problem was stopping the dogs water freezing while i was out at work, by dropping the water bowl into the same board as the base of the sleeping box but outside the sleeping box if you get my drift, theres just enough heat in the board to stop the water freezing, buster.

are you fitting these tube heaters in the back of the bedding box/small kennel in the run? are there any fire hazard considerations?

My heater,s in a mash box inside the sleeping box, and i use straw bedding, i dont think it should be a fire hazard, you can hold the heater in your hand when its on, no need to fit a sprinkler system :hmm: , i hope :D , buster.

For my kennels i insulated with Celotex insulaton, same as Kingspan which is 2" thick foam sheeting with a foil wrapping. I put this on the walls and roof then coverd that with tounge and groove in the sleeping area.

I also installed a tube heater, got a 3 foot one 170 watt i think? for about £20 deliverd of ebay. Instead of having it on a thermostat i just use a plug in timer and will have it on for a few hours during the winter. i must say its a good piece of kit giving off a good bit of warmth and costs little to run. My whippet and bull cross pup seem to like it anyway!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the kennel is insulated properly then there's no need for additional heater.

The sides, floors and roof on my kennels are 4" thick, 12mm plywood, 3" of insulation and then 12mm ply again.

When it has been cold I've stuck my head inside the kennels and it's noticably warmer than the outside temp