Pure whippets your opinion please.

from my own limited experience of them, i found them to be great wee lamping dogs, with ferreting i think thet're fine if things are moving along fairly quickly, but they do suffer if its bitterly cold and they're standing about for too long, on hares, i've only ever caught 2 with whippets during the day, i ran more at night on the lamp but never got any , they literally ran circles round the dogs, good craic but. i've caught 6 foxes in my life , all caught and killed by the same show bred whippet dog, 19 1/2 inches, 26 pound ( exactly the same as my present whippet), i think he took 1 bad bite, he just seem to have a knack for, all were pinned in a throat hold by the time i got there. how big does a dog have to be to kill a fox ? the majority of whippets must outweigh foxes ? i don't think i would call them all rounders, although they'll have a stab at anything, they're basically rabbiting dogs and not least, an absolute pleasure to be around.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE THING I VALUE MORE THAN ANY THING ELSE IN A DOG IS HEART AND A WHIPPET

WILL GIVE YOU A HUNDRED AND TEN PERCENT EVERY TIME :victory:

i agree with you luke 100%, at the end of the day if your dog does his best for you you cant ask for much more, jake " lord of the knights" son celt the whippet dog i have at the moment will (pre ban) run a fox like its his last but when he get bitten he will let go, but no matter how many times he gets bitten he will always run the next fox like his first.i know it sounds like im making excuses for him but for what he lacks on fox he makes up for on rabbits, very few rabbits get a chance to get 5 yards from the burrow, 9 times out of ten he will tip toe on top of the warren following the action below and intersepts the rabbits as soon as they come out.cheers keith :drink:

I`ve got a daughter of Lord of The Knight, dam Meg Jenny`s Lass and she has the same habit mate she tip toes round, and stalks the bunnys like a cat , I`ve had a few lurchers but she is probably the best ferreting dog I`ve owned

23" aint no whippet

He`s 100% whippet mate KC registered bred by Jeff Hutchings of Pennymeadow Whippets

KC registered don't mean a thing I think some one has sneaked some greyhound blood in at some time .

Srpingfield when your dog produces pups to a line bred sooty sam bitch you will see whippets of 23 inch & you will also see plenty in the show ring.

Mush No greyhound in this dog if you know anything about greyhound crosses you will know they are much faster than Peds Pennymeadow Blackjack is a pure bred & if you know anything about this line you will have seen many at this size bred from this line most bitches stay 20 inch & under most dogs are min 21inch & above.

WHAT IS A ALLROUNDER

Its someone who has nothing posative to say on any post about any breed who hunts from his armchair with a pc on a slip lead & then wonders why our sport was taken away from us :hmm:

UNITED WE STAND DIVIVED WE FELL

Maybe he could throw 23" pups.Will have to wait and see when he covers a sooty sam bitch,Give us ring if you want to use him when your bitch comes in.Will be interesting mating.

From my point of view where I race they have to be 21"or under dog , 20" or under bitch to get affiliated/passported for racing.

A 23" whippet would only be benifical for working purposes to me.My dogs work through out the winter and race through the summer.I would not like to keep a dog that I could work all winter then be laid up in summer apart from abit of bushing.So under 21" is ideal for situation as they are kept busy all year round.My opinion.Lee

Guest Frank
WHAT IS A ALLROUNDER

Its someone who has nothing posative to say on any post about any breed who hunts from his armchair with a pc on a slip lead & then wonders why our sport was taken away from us :hmm:

:clapper: Amen to that :yes::drink:

Maybe he could throw 23" pups.Will have to wait and see when he covers a sooty sam bitch,Give us ring if you want to use him when your bitch comes in.Will be interesting mating.

From my point of view where I race they have to be 21"or under dog , 20" or under bitch to get affiliated/passported for racing.

A 23" whippet would only be benifical for working purposes to me.My dogs work through out the winter and race through the summer.I would not like to keep a dog that I could work all winter then be laid up in summer apart from abit of bushing.So under 21" is ideal for situation as they are kept busy all year round.My opinion.Lee

This is Blackjack's dam Pennymeadow Poppy Races lure courses works & has won at kc shows 19 inch 26lbs.

poppy-1.jpg

This is Blackjacks sire NIISYF Here's Oto Races lure courses works Qualified for crufts 4 years running 20 inch 29lbs.

oto.jpg

Both line bred to Sooty Sam ;)

Srpingfield when your dog produces pups to a line bred sooty sam bitch you will see whippets of 23 inch & you will also see plenty in the show ring.

Mush No greyhound in this dog if you know anything about greyhound crosses you will know they are much faster than Peds Pennymeadow Blackjack is a pure bred & if you know anything about this line you will have seen many at this size bred from this line most bitches stay 20 inch & under most dogs are min 21inch & above.

Try getting size back in to your lurchers after you've put whippet in, you will get the odd big one now and again ( :hmm: now where did i read of that happening :laugh::laugh: ) but most will be around 21-22 and bitchs smaller. even 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippets will take after the whippet :yes:

Edited by mush

This is Blackjack's dam Pennymeadow Poppy Races lure courses works & has won at kc shows 19 inch 26lbs.

This is Blackjacks sire NIISYF Here's Oto Races lure courses works Qualified for crufts 4 years running 20 inch 29lbs.

Both line bred to Sooty Sam ;)

I think your post says it all :) put two bull x lurchers together and you will get the odd bull type come out. breed two Sooty Sam bred whippets together and you get the odd Greyhound type . What does that tell you :hmm::laugh:

Guest Lurchers2006

Try getting size back in to your lurchers after you've put whippet in, you will get the odd big one now and again ( :hmm: now where did i read of that happening :laugh::laugh: ) but most will be around 21-22 and bitchs smaller. even 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippets will take after the whippet :yes:

I disagree some might take to the whippet but you say most, my dog is a whippet put to a bull grey and it made 25 inches :yes: All the dogs made between 23 and 25, some might throw to the whippet but not all :D

Annie 17 inch non pedigree 'hardblood'.

Annie2.jpg

Fox - no,

Deer - no,

Hares - the odd one or two

Rabbits - lots. :)

anniepoittwo.jpg

wow somone else that runs propper whippets :) lol nah mine rarly shiver either.

can these KC certificates be blagged, can people introduce greys and terrier blood into the breeding and still keep them kc registered so they can charge a arm and a leg! it must be happening surly 23" for a whippet :laugh: thats just a short coated lurcher!

the kennel club is just a load of rubbish it seems to be ruining breeds more than anything!!!

Edited by blando

Thanks,

I can trace her breeding back several generations all whippet until we come to a dam way back in her history a greyhound called Goodnight Nurse she was put bred to Sup Rch 'Sing on' to produce RCH HCH Country music.

If you follow his line they are all pedigree racing whippets :blink: , even with the greyhound in them!

So yes you are right i think that many whippet pedigrees are shall we say 'suspect'.

Indeed if I was that way inclined I could have 'acquired' pedigees for her pups that she had last year.

Incidently despite her only being 17 inches her sire is 23 inches no doubt a throwback to the greyhound in their breeding.

Guest hunterside
Thanks,

I can trace her breeding back several generations all whippet until we come to a dam way back in her history a greyhound called Goodnight Nurse she was put bred to Sup Rch 'Sing on' to produce RCH HCH Country music.

If you follow his line they are all pedigree racing whippets :blink: , even with the greyhound in them!

So yes you are right i think that many whippet pedigrees are shall we say 'suspect'.

Indeed if I was that way inclined I could have 'acquired' pedigees for her pups that she had last year.

Incidently despite her only being 17 inches her sire is 23 inches no doubt a throwback to the greyhound in their breeding.

what are they like on rats ?