The gezzer that jumped from a baloon,,, question? Born hunter , anybody else

He slowed down when he entered the atmosphere as at the start of the jump, he was effectively in a vacuum and the earth's atmosphere is like treacle by comparison. Meteorites travel at 25,000 to 150,000 mph and are a bit bigger than a human so obviously would take a lot more slowing down, but they would also slow to terminal velocity if the atmosphere was deep enough.

Aaron - Your calcs mean he would have hit the earth at 15 ft/lb? Would hardly need a parachute. :laugh:

That's what I came up with , too !! :huh:

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lord... Everybody knows the dinosaurs died in the great flood cause they were to damn big to get on the Ark. It's simple science ,really.

he reached them speeds due to the less dense air

Too right... so it's settled then. A 218 lb man going 176 feet per second only lands with 15 foot lbs of force which is very survivable .   What now, Felix Baumgartner ? !

Posted Images

He slowed down when he entered the atmosphere as at the start of the jump, he was effectively in a vacuum and the earth's atmosphere is like treacle by comparison. Meteorites travel at 25,000 to 150,000 mph and are a bit bigger than a human so obviously would take a lot more slowing down, but they would also slow to terminal velocity if the atmosphere was deep enough.

Aaron - Your calcs mean he would have hit the earth at 15 ft/lb? Would hardly need a parachute. :laugh:

That's what I came up with , too !! :huh:

I don't make the laws of physics. I just enforce them! :laugh:

I dunno about very survivable, just look at the mess of a 12ft/lbs air rifle pellet when fired point blank at something hard! :laugh: Lead is soft but the human body ain't much harder, think I'll leave the experiment to someone else! :D

Aaah! Nearly got it right Aaron, except the weight has to be in grains, not pounds and there are 7000 grains to the pound so the energy of him hitting the deck would actually be 105000 ft/lbs. Not quite so survivable I reckon. Although he did have a crash helmet :tongue2:

Sorry. Off work today with a bad back, so I have time to do these things.

• Like 2

Aaah! Nearly got it right Aaron, except the weight has to be in grains, not pounds and there are 7000 grains to the pound so the energy of him hitting the deck would actually be 105000 ft/lbs. Not quite so survivable I reckon. Although he did have a crash helmet :tongue2:

Sorry. Off work today with a bad back, so I have time to do these things.

That sounds way better...and I thought about the grains thing later when I was off on a walk . But by then , I had lost my ambition for physics. 105,000 ft/lbs ?! That'd leave a mark.

was listening to my dad and bunch of his mates debating this last night , they reckon it was" a fake like the moon landing " :D they were saying that surely opening a chute at those speeds would cause massive internal injuries ,would break your neck ,back ,shoulders etc , that the ropes on the chute would snap .. dont know but maybe they have a point :laugh:

maybe severe whiplash even :yes: