With all the new jeeps out there today id never have a Landy again unless its for serious off road use. Theres not alot the Landy can do that these other jeeps can do with the same tyres..........unless as ive said your doing some serious off roading. Why you would want to get a cramped, slow, freezing cold Landy for a family vehicle beats me. Landys are workhorses pure and simple....go for another jeep of your fancy before you regret it......... :thumbs:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

all depends how many miles you will be travel in 90 s are very good off road but not very good on

Hi my v6 2.5 litre does does between odd to 100 odd miles for 20 quid it depends the way you drive them

i have a 300 tdi and its awsome plenty of power and pulls like a train drove a friends td5 the other week and it was guttless compared to mine   heres a cuple of pics shes a beast

Stick with a landy!

As said here numerous times, easy to fix, cheap to fix, and with a decent set of tyres, they'll go anywhere!

I have an OLD series I use, and used it to push a 90 c/w trailer loaded up with clay traps etc.

You can always play about with Diffs etc if you ned the road speed.

Points to look for....ROT!

Anywhere.

90's still makin good money, just compare how new a Jap vehicle you can get compared to the Landy......says something in itself.

You'll still fix and use your landy in 10 years from now.

Make sure you buy a DECENT one, not something that's been tarted up! Take someone with you who knows about older vehicles, and what to look for.

Seen HEAPS of tarted up landys, don't get sucked in by any shiny paint!

Get it home and clean up the underside, get some tins of schutz etc, tip 1/2 out, mix up with old engine oil and absolutely saturate it!

Run it till you'r sick of it, and you'll probabally get your money back when ya sell it!.......Can't say that for your average Jap model.

Chears mate, thinking about getting a 90 and putting a seat in the back for the bady seat just incase we need to use it, then the misses carnt go mad. Atb andy

mate you can get a 90 with 3 seats in the front bit of a squeez with 3 adults but you your wife and a baby seat should easy fit!

yes we will prob manage i will just have to look owt for a 3 seater, all the ones iv looked at have been 2 seaters with a cubby box in the middle.

yeah mate you can take the cubby box out and fit a seat your self you will get one of ebay or a local breaker pretty cheap good luck bud

just another thing i was thinking is would you be able to get it in gear with a child seat in the middle? thanks for the advice. atb andy

With all the new jeeps out there today id never have a Landy again unless its for serious off road use. Theres not alot the Landy can do that these other jeeps can do with the same tyres..........unless as ive said your doing some serious off roading. Why you would want to get a cramped, slow, freezing cold Landy for a family vehicle beats me. Landys are workhorses pure and simple....go for another jeep of your fancy before you regret it......... :thumbs:

what model jeep was you thinking? thanks andy.

totally agree,most 4x4 will go most places with proper tyres on,if a fields wet,then we wont cross it even in a landy,no need getting a bollocking off farmer,for turning into a shit mess,i drive the farmer defender110 pick up 08 model,jesus it kills my back,you have to rev the shit out of it in mud or it stalls,very loud engine. alot of farmers i know have got jap pick ups now anyway.

Take your pick mate....its whatever takes your fancy. Mitsibushi, Ford, Toyota, Isuzu.........imo id never go near a Nissan but others will tell you different. All of these jeeps keep your dogs seperate from the cab so your not getting a stink in the front. And if your using it for family i think thats a big bonus......... :thumbs:

Take your pick mate....its whatever takes your fancy. Mitsibushi, Ford, Toyota, Isuzu.........imo id never go near a Nissan but others will tell you different. All of these jeeps keep your dogs seperate from the cab so your not getting a stink in the front. And if your using it for family i think thats a big bonus......... :thumbs:

I just carnt afford to insure one with only been 20 for a l200 its £4500 and a 90 its £1300. Or would be getting one I almost bought a new d max till I got a incurance quote, atb andy

I just carnt afford to insure one with only been 20 for a l200 its £4500 and a 90 its £1300. Or would be getting one I almost bought a new d max till I got a incurance quote, atb andy

Cant you go on a relatives insurance and say your a named driver and get round it? It really is a rip off!!... :censored:

The old romantic in me says Land Rover- but my head says get a Japanese truck. Landys have a great following- and are really really good off road- the Japanese trucks are more reliable, better value, but the spares can be expensive and the insurance more.

I do keep thinking I would like an old landy series- at least you can for give its noise and discomfort on that fact that it is really old. This link is a guy in Yorkshire- he has some well maiantained stuff by the looks of it- the prices are high- but looking around a decent old series landy with galvinised chasis does not loose much money- there are always folks who are after them. The 1971 blue pick up looks like a decent old truck with the sorted chassis and bulkhead- plus the insurnace is very reasonable for older stuff like this. and its free tax.

http://www.johnbrownlandrovers.co.uk/category/latest_landrovers_for_sale/

Edited by chickenstu

FFS, those prices are criminal.... if insurance policies are anything like here then maybe engine size affects you also?? somethin with a 1.9td can go through a muddy field nearly as good as a 2.5 or a 300!!

A few year ago I got it into my head that I wanted a 90 so I went out and bought one but after driving it 110 mile back home I never got in it again, I put it straight back on eBay, they are horrible on the road, uncomfortable, noisey, cold and they all leak water into the cab in heavy rain, a few of my mates had them but only for offroading as they said there not reliable enough to be there only car, apparently they break diffs and transfer boxes for fun...

If you want something reliable good enough off road and cheap on insurance get a fourtrak, I think there only about group 8....

The choice is yours but if choose a landrover you will be in for a shock, but atleast if it doesn't suit you it will sell no probs....

• Like 1

Agree with the points raised above, i had a 110, very uncomfortable for everyday use, juicy, poor driving position and not at all an everyday car in my opinion. I had a navara, juicy but better than the 100, comfortable, reliable and the good thing was i could stick 4 dogs in the back covered in mud and yet still use it as a family car. Nowadays i drive a diesel estate, the fuel savings are amazing...............

90-110-Series superb off road and short journey, not great on road etc, but cheap parts and easy to fix.

300tdi Disco is more comfortable and again will go pretty well anywhere cheap parts, but do rust underneath.

Freelander TD4 is the best, especially the commercial, very good engine, but nowhere near as good as a 90 or disco off road, Ok but not great.

I have had all 3 of these and prefer the disco.

Jap stuff can be good but parts are expensive.