airwolf technical problem.

ok, i have an ongoing problem with my airwolf. POI changes constantly and randomly. after many problems with it and changing countless times, mounts, scopes, mod off mod on it i am coming to the conclusion that the barrel moves on it.

so after some advice from a gun shop etc and one or two helpful members on here i brought a barrel band, a new larger foamed cabinet and yet another pair of sports match mounts today then swapped another scope onto it for the 6 th time.

so fitted a barrel band today. tightened the 4 screws that hold the barrel on the bock and it has improved the problem. band not doing much tho, the shroud still moves within it. so poi still changes. maybe they should have taped and threaded both band

holes so shroud can be clamped as well as the bottle. as far as shroud and barrel goes i'm not sure how well bonded they are.

its disappointing as been shooting it today at 30 y its like shooting pin heads.

at 120 y its still able to group 1 inch ish

140 yards is still tight ish.

i must have re-adjusted the ele wind about 6 times in the space of 3 hours shooting today to maintain zero as the poi seems to change randomly.

like a helpful forum member said airwolfs are very good guns when they work correctly and as they should ie, if the poi stays true, etc. i'm in two minds to keep it or get rid 3.5 years into having countless problems with it. not knowing if a fully tuned rapid will do as good with better durability / able to maintain poi as barrel block bonding is much better with the theobens compared to my wolf at least. but i have a felling that the wolf if eventually fixed will be the better choice for me.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can i ask what your FPS is with your current ft/lb's setting and pellet? Also...is it nessecary to clean the barrel every -100 shots? You're pretty much cleaning the barrel not long after it's been re

hi hunter,i have also the airwolf and have had similair problems with it when first purchased(secondhand),have you tried shooting it with shroud removed, or setting the power so it's running at a little less

sounds like a good idea. i have shot it at 32ftlbs with the jsb 15.9g. to be honest i cannot remember if the poi moved at the time. will have to try it again.

think removing the shroud may be another good idea as many in the usa have done this and the problem goes away. however i'm not sure how it would work as there is a cronograph in the end of the shroud on my model (mvt). of course will give this a go if i can.

Edited by riflehunter583

SAM_2117_zps92351911.jpg

It comes to something when you pay over a grand for a gun and to eventually fix it and maintain poi you have to secure the barrel/shroud to the bottle with a pair of 5 p pull ties.

the barrel band which did not come with the gun new only secures to the bottle so the shroud moves around in the top of it, not really doing anything until the pull ties are added.

there are alot of threads that have indicated that the barrels can move on the airwolfs from usa shooters i have found..

i've got a gun cubard full of mounts i'm talking 10 mounts that have been on this gun.

ive tried 6 + scopes on it.

even brought a new cabinet with lots of foam so it don't get knocked.

for the gun to be supplied without a band is bad but for the recently purchased band to not fit the shroud snug is much worse in my opinion.

the only reason i have put up with this gun is becuase the barrel is very accurate, but i don't think i will be ever buying another daystate having been the 4th problem i've had with it.

next time i will be buying a rapid, barrels are rock solid. or an air arms.

well i have a 410 and to be honest the only thing i dont like about it is the flimsy barrel. nothing like the barrel on my prosport. but seeing that super expensive rifle with a couple of cable ties on it certainly does not make me think daystate any time soon. good luck with it.

Well if i were you , ide take the lot to Daystate and demand that someone looks at it .

the way i see it; its now out of warranty and when it was in warranty it cost me a fortune in time and diesel back and forward to the factory a number of times.

i am just very very happy that the poi is not moving all the time now.

just hope this might help some other poor sod save them buying 6 scopes:

SAM_2121_zps2bd05beb.jpg

Edited by riflehunter583

i know what you are saying about hassle and expense but you have paid a lot of money for a rifle that (with cable ties) has a resale value of not a lot. send them the photo of the only way you can get it to work and a letter surely they will fix it! it cant be good for business having photos like this on a public forum? post a copy of their reply.

i cannot see how daystate can say it does not exsist when there are other forums in the uk and usa that show people with airwolfs with the same or similar problems. some guys in the us have solved it by putting gaffa tape round the bottle and shroud.

i allready sent an email to daystate last week. i have had no reply as yet.

the fact of the matter is, its alot cheaper and more effective for me to find a solution. i shot 11 crows/jays/rooks this morning with the pull ties on. if daystate had a solution then people would not be having these problems.