sparrow hawk from kitchen window

Is there a reason why they dont kill the bird outright and decide to eat them when they are still alive? Or is this a trait in younger birds learning how to catch its own food?... :thumbs:

Dont think its a young bird thing matie, just been out for sparrowhawks and one adult female ate her chaffinch sandwich alive..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just looked out to see this,You cannot see from the picture but through binoculars it looks like a young pigeon about to leave the nest.Parent pigeon is flapping around either injured or pretending to

Well it was a chaffy

Here you go Romany these are old picture's that you might of seen..        

Posted Images

Never seen a wild gos my self,That can be romany`s next mission if he ever comes back from the sparrow hawk.... :laugh:

Got the sparrowhawks weasle, had a great day with them, pleanty of activity..

Seen wild goshawks here in Northumberland..photographing them.....mmmmm that would be an achievement

Never seen a wild gos my self,That can be romany`s next mission if he ever comes back from the sparrow hawk.... :laugh:

Got the sparrowhawks weasle, had a great day with them, pleanty of activity..

Seen wild goshawks here in Northumberland..photographing them.....mmmmm that would be an achievement

Look forward to seeing them, gos tommorrow then?
  • Like 1

Yeah natures cruel,Watched a show ,a pride a lions found a young elephant they Fed on it for hours before it died :bad:

One wrong decision and your dead.You just have to take it as it is.

As for the gosh hawk best looking bird in the world..

If i ever get to old for running around with lurcher's thats what i would go for, think of the amount of phezzies you could kill. :D

Whippet99 something like that :hmm:

looks like a target on the tree in the first pic......................lol :laugh:
  • Like 1

Is there a reason why they dont kill the bird outright and decide to eat them when they are still alive? Or is this a trait in younger birds learning how to catch its own food?... :thumbs:

Some of the falconry lads might be able to answer that best, but I'm it's definitely not just younger birds learning, and I think Sparrowhawks feet are designed more for catching and holding rather than puncturing and killing, therefore as soon as bigger prey is immobilised they start to eat it. Also why waste energy killing when it can eat it alive? And time spent on the ground with prey they can't lift, is time when they're most vulnerable to other predators?

I've always just wondered why they do that and probably another reason i'm not to keen on them. Have they got any predators really? There very good at positioning what they've killed on tree stumps or higher vantage points. When they catch in the woods its a tell tale sign of them.... :thumbs:

Yeah they love posts and vantage points, but also strip their prey on the floor, watched one the other day with a chaffy on the floor, took ages to feed on it, it was very cagey watching all the time

Some of the falconry lads might be able to answer that best, but I'm it's definitely not just younger birds learning, and I think Sparrowhawks feet are designed more for catching and holding rather than puncturing and killing, therefore as soon as bigger prey is immobilised they start to eat it. Also why waste energy killing when it can eat it alive? And time spent on the ground with prey they can't lift, is time when they're most vulnerable to other predators?

I've always just wondered why they do that and probably another reason i'm not to keen on them. Have they got any predators really? There very good at positioning what they've killed on tree stumps or higher vantage points. When they catch in the woods its a tell tale sign of them.... :thumbs:

Yeah they love posts and vantage points, but also strip their prey on the floor, watched one the other day with a chaffy on the floor, took ages to feed on it, it was very cagey watching all the time

Usually a wee pile of feathers when there hitting the young poults and then you go for a wee wander and find a dead bird plucked behind a tree or on a stump. Glad i dont need to worry about that now... :thumbs:

Yeah not bad :icon_redface:

Most impressive is you were able to go out and get the shot on the day.

Got over 200 shots on the day matie..not all keepers though, as I was after flight shots, and a lot are brown blurrs, and others have wings cut off, but getting there

post-25880-0-34479000-1349249289_thumb.jpg

This is my best (only!) pic of a Gos, though I've often watched them when they've approached the pens, and they've always landed outside and sat watching for anything up to half an hour before swooping down on a poult.