Cheapest Rimfire set up for rabbit hunting.

Probably done to death but what is the cheapest FAC rimfire set up for rabbit & pigeon hunting?

At present I have Air Arms TX200HC on 11.7ft/lbs since don’t have a FAC but was looking at getting a PCP but if have to pay £400 + for a good set up how does this compare to me getting a FAC and a .22 or .17 for hunting in cost difference?

Edited by IanS

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It does not matter where he looks for them, he has no permission,no fac, and by the sounds of it not a jot of experience so it really is rather academic is it not?

Hi mate , I bought a puma 22 rimfire a year ago and for shooting rabbits/ vermin you can't go wrong. £299 with scope although I've changed the scope to a mamba lite. Once you've got it set up you will shoot rabbits all day out to 90 yards no problem.

If you were going to go for a PCP without getting your FAC, it will stil be sub 12 ft/lb and cost you £400. £50 would get you a FAC and the other £350 would easily buy you a rimfire (100ft/lbs -ish). Ruger or CZ do good rimmies.

I presume the main advantage over a sub 12ft/lbs airgun is you have longer range and more stopping power. Also presume I need to join a gun club before I’ll be allowed to apply for a FAC since at present don’t have a permission to shoot on yet?

I presume the main advantage over a sub 12ft/lbs airgun is you have longer range and more stopping power. Also presume I need to join a gun club before I’ll be allowed to apply for a FAC since at present don’t have a permission to shoot on yet?

Yes, you need good reason to be granted a fac, and that would usually be target or vermin control.

It is unlikely but not impossible that you would be granted an fac purely for vermin, without proof you have somewhere to shoot.

Yes, the .22 gives you a greater range and more killing energy.

If you were going to go for a PCP without getting your FAC, it will stil be sub 12 ft/lb and cost you £400. £50 would get you a FAC and the other £350 would easily buy you a rimfire (100ft/lbs -ish). Ruger or CZ do good rimmies.

Don't forget gun safe ! and 6 month probation at gun club then 3 month wait for a variation for vermin shooting to be added to FAC. After you have permision.

Edited by coldweld

Don't forget gun safe ! and 6 month probation at gun club then 3 month wait for a variation for vermin shooting to be added to FAC. After you have permision.

Pellets £13(ish) for 500. 22lr rounds £50 for 500.

To be granted a fac you need good reason and at the moment you don't really have a reason to have one. If I was you I'd buy an air rifle keep asking around for permission then once you have secured some then apply. You will be a better hunter if you can stalk rabbits at 30 yards not 60.

To be granted a fac you need good reason and at the moment you don't really have a reason to have one. If I was you I'd buy an air rifle keep asking around for permission then once you have secured some then apply. You will be a better hunter if you can stalk rabbits at 30 yards not 60.

You can still stalk rabbits at 30 yards with a rimfire you know :blink::tongue2:

True

try guntrader they have a good selection, i had a brno 22lr semi auto with 2 mags, sling, swivels and new scope for £100. bargain atb bullfinch.

It does not matter where he looks for them, he has no permission,no fac, and by the sounds of it not a jot of experience so it really is rather academic is it not? Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1