Hardest ground to run

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Proper dogs run any land that's what makes them special. You don't find many them about.

The hardest ground to run is unfamiliar ground.   We don't get hares down here on tht type of rocky ground but can run foxes on ground like that and if the dogs taken there from a young age they so

why would one whant to slip a dog on that type of ground   a bad as fen you see it lol but for some the mite not like what the see

Posted Images

Always on here you get the same old thing fenland hares are, [sorry] were the biggest test for a coursing dog,fens were the testing ground for a dog, well i disagree i reckon the upper ground of the yorkshire wolds was more testing for any coursing dog,. Fenland flat as a witches tit, yorkshire wolds undulating flint and chalk that could rip the shit out of a dogs feet. So where do you reckon the hardest ground is to run. Obviously certain ground requires a different type of dog but what are your experiencies of this question.YIS KIC :thumbs:

so if can rip the shit out of your dogs feet why do you run on it ,ya fecking muppet

Did i say at any stage that i ran my dogs on it, but plenty of people do, take it your just another keyboard warrior who wouldnt be so keen to stand in front of me and throw insults.

The hardest ground to run is unfamiliar ground.

We don't get hares down here on tht type of rocky ground but can run foxes on ground like that and if the dogs taken there from a young age they soon lean to skip across as if they're not there.

I didn't see it as it was before my time but back in the 80s ( I believe it was anyway) ws had blonde down here in the west country and md also had other saluki hybrids of good killing ability on the fens. These dogs had to be Lamped down here as the hares aren't out day times, the big bounding gape of the dog was just no good as the hare would be off the field before they could box it and I have since seen the same with with both my own dogs an mates dogs and have found that they struggle to cope on unfamiliar ground.

I hve no doubt that if you were to have the dedication to travel the country running hares on all ground that your dogs would be able to cope well enough but I doubt many do so I also doubt that many of these hare dogs killing 5/5 would be muh cop down here the same as mine wouldn't be much cop on the big open fields.

To me it makes no difference who has the hardest or easiest ground, get out with the dog and test it on the land you have. Any ground can be made testing if you want it to be, get on the fens and do kick ups and you'll get more then of the dogs has to have any amount of law. come down to this ground and put your dog in a field with several gates and your dog will have to work hard to keep it on the field compared to if you have a hard hedged small field with a single gate.

Have fun lads and get the dogs to the best you can, testing them as hard as you can on as muh land as you can over as many seasons.

Hope everyone's dogs earn there kennel space this season whether they be lamping the humble bunny on the dales, coursing the elegant hare on the open fens, chasing the magnificent red on the highlands or catching a called in fox on the edge of the beam. Don't worry about everyone else just make sure your dog pleases you

• Like 2

My land

michaelbronwyn668.jpg

michaelbronwyn665.jpg

thats sum hill lol looks like a ballbuster for walkn :notworthy:

haha

Aye, and theres the ever changing weather to contend with too... had a mate up from North East late last season, he and his dog threw the towel in before we even seen any game lol all the best!

My land

michaelbronwyn668.jpg

michaelbronwyn665.jpg

haha

Aye, and theres the ever changing weather to contend with too... had a mate up from North East late last season, he and his dog threw the towel in before we even seen any game lol all the best!

dont blame them :laugh: atb mate

My land

michaelbronwyn668.jpg

michaelbronwyn665.jpg

haha

aye i bet he walked miles the only game you see up there is deer no much up they hills do alot of fishing up there the odd pocket of rabbits if your lucky and as birddog says its oor land lol

Northernlights, I wish my place had more deer, but it was flattened by previous stalker, which is why the forestry company is willing to pay me per head. Its still a pleasure being out on the hill. Ive seen badgers, foxes, seen 1 wild cat... red squirrel, pine martens (loads), polecat, stoat, red deer, roe deer, odd fallow deer, sika deer, tons of raptors, hoodies, woodies, ravens, and loads of song birds, no rabbits at all on the land I stalk, but ive got ground that is hotching with them so not at all bothered.

• Like 1