Deaf pup

I think a lot will depend on temperament too: if the pup is laid back, not nervy, and is intelligent, he will learn to cope much better than a highly-strung, nervous animal. And of course it all depends on the owners as well: if they teach the pup hand signals from an early age, get it used to wearing a vibrating collar to attract its attention, it is amazing how much can be achieved.

To be honest, I wouldn't want a deaf dog as you have to be so much more aware all the time of what is going on around you: being aware of possible dangers: cars obviously, but just say you went into a field of cattle, and they decided to come and attack your dog: sure, he'd feel the ground shaking, but wouldn't necessarily be aware of being mown down until it was too late. We can discuss it for ever, but its down to the owner to decide if he wants to commit to such a dog or not.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

im going to be perfectly honest with you .. dont piss about ,get the pup back to the breeder( IF) it is found to be , deaf. ,and stop worryhing about future litters theres enough lurchers out there

I have agreed with the breeder to return him, to be fair to the guy i think he genuinly didnt know. Im gutted as i now have to start looking again but i cant do anything but agree with everyones comme

I don't say this lightly mate, but take the pup back to the breeder it's his responsibility, go and source another pup, it's hard enough getting a lurcher to an acceptable standard without a drawback

i have'nt read the whole topic but could you use an electric collar??? as you can get them to do different settings buzz / pulse / vibrate / shock and maybe others

so if you want him / her back then you hit the vibrate and treat the pup everytime it comes back so that could over come the recall. and then all you will need is hand signals for

sit

down

stay

watch

ect

atb in what you decide to do :thumbs:

Does anyone think this would work ??

Yes.

I have agreed with the breeder to return him, to be fair to the guy i think he genuinly didnt know. Im gutted as i now have to start looking again but i cant do anything but agree with everyones comments and advise, i wanted a working dog which he wont be. I have two very young daughters who could startle him with bad results. A hard decision but i dont have the time to offer him the training he will actually need and i dont have routine myself so cant possibly apply one to his life. Thanks everyone for your very helpful advise i think it has been valuable to my decision making. As previously mentioned its a think with your head not your heart decision.

• Like 6

I have agreed with the breeder to return him, to be fair to the guy i think he genuinly didnt know. Im gutted as i now have to start looking again but i cant do anything but agree with everyones comments and advise, i wanted a working dog which he wont be. I have two very young daughters who could startle him with bad results. A hard decision but i dont have the time to offer him the training he will actually need and i dont have routine myself so cant possibly apply one to his life. Thanks everyone for your very helpful advise i think it has been valuable to my decision making. As previously mentioned its a think with your head not your heart decision.

wise move fella..

Theres a lot of pups around at the moment... you are literally spoilt for choice.

Ask on here and someone will guide you in the right direction im sure.

Put up a thread asking if there are any pups ready anytime , and if there Is people will contact you, I did it and had some cracking offers and got a great wee pup some top lads out there :thumbs:

Your doing the right thing bud ,the pup will be safer in a pet home , to much of a liability to be a worker and it would be a danger to itself.

Keep your eye out bud , just makes sure you can see both parents and think before you buy

Atb mate :thumbs:

Edited by J.DOG

Are the hearing and sight problems in merle due to brain damage?

No.

Faulty genetics causing deformities.

Can have the same trouble mating silver ferts too.

I don't get why people want merles. Why they specifically aim for merle pups. May as well be breeding epilepsy into a line. :huh:

wise decission common sence allways prevales ,sit back awile ..take stock dont rush into getting another pup ,the right one will come along .... ;)
  • Like 1

The guy assured me collie whippet grey he is merle with iceblue eyes if i knew how to upload on iphone id put pic on

Congenital deafness and blindness runs with the merle gene. Maybe your pup will more naturally use his eyes and look at you to communicate via body language and hand signals. Good luck with him.