Kelpie lurchers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

//

This little bitch is Kelpie/Collie X Grew and she ain't too bad so far. Looking forward to this season and getting a bit of graft in front of her now.  

Austrailian cattle dog bred lurcher to a racing whippet A real hard dog,massive prey drive,

Posted Images

Does anyone work a 3/4 Whippet 1/4 Kelpie like the idea of this cross.

Hell of a dog mate,I have been around dogs most my life,and wanted a small whippet when I dropped on this little dog,I am not sure of the mix,I was told that the bitch was a wippet lurcher bred, from an austrailian cattle dog and the sire was a racing wippet,when I bought him I only spoke to the woman of the house,and wasnt sure,but right price was reached so deal struck, I have 6 dogs 4 are gun dogs,and apart from the control and deer pointing capabilities of my pointer, I really rate this dogs ability so much so that I might look for a suitable bitch,next yr I have tried to keep the disciplines apart as regards my gun dog training, and lurcher training but the dog offers himself up to do anything,totally opposite to what I expected,lurcher training Is not my strong point but I know my way around a gun dog,so I know some one with more exposure to these dogs will really produce a good animal,

I had a kelpie whip/grey from Dave Sleights breeding years ago now.Wouldn't have another didn't get on with it at all.Funny breed the kelpie although on paper it looks like a great cross due to the attributes that it brings it doesn't always work out like that. Same with the ACD.Dave Sleight & Phil Lloyd have both gone back to the more convention collie cross.Makes you wonder why? If the cross was so good why did they not stick at it & why didn't it take the lurcher scene by storm as the most popular cross?The kelpie's breeding is surposed to be scottish hill collie,dingo with possibly a touch of bull.The ACD is surpose to be scottish hill collie,kelpie,bit of bull & dalmation. This is what i was told by these men that bred them into lurcher breeding. :thumbs:

Are you sure d.sleight gone back to collies, i nearly got a kelpie cross off him several months ago and i also thought he was on mission to breed a

pure brown kelpie lurcher....or something along those lines.

Thats what i heard a while back,unless he's gone back to the kelpies again?