NASA's latest mars mission..

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And for years there have been plans for the colonisation of Mars, which while technologically different than the colonisation of Australia or America is little different in concept. The voyages to the

I bet one of your ancestors said the very same thing when America or Australia was discovered.   Exploration is one of the pinnacles of human achievement. Look at all we had to discover to get to th

:laugh: Lab ffs have you ever looked at another planet? Do you have even the smallest comprehention how fecking far away they are? We're not expecting to find fecking great sky whales floating about,

Posted Images

No, there's probably not lab. But if there was some sort of basic microbial life it would help us greatly with our understanding of life/biology and surviving in an extra terrestrial environment. That aside, suppose there is a time one day when we want/need to leave this planet, will we just drop down onto a new world picked out of a hat or send advanced probes there first to make essential analysis before commiting the resources? If/when that day comes it will have been because of the step by step progression in technology that this mission was part of.

There's a bigger picture to stuff like this that unfortunately is often only seen 50+ years into the future but then taken for granted by the public. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Ok lads thats fine but its a load of shite. Nothing up there i'm afraid to say.............. :bye:

I bet one of your ancestors said the very same thing when America or Australia was discovered.

Exploration is one of the pinnacles of human achievement. Look at all we had to discover to get to this point through all the different technologies, from basic maths to discovering materials and new ways of using them etc.

• Like 3

Ok lads thats fine but its a load of shite. Nothing up there i'm afraid to say.............. :bye:

I bet one of your ancestors said the very same thing when America or Australia was discovered.

Exploration is one of the pinnacles of human achievement. Look at all we had to discover to get to this point through all the different technologies, from basic maths to discovering materials and new ways of using them etc.

Slightly different as we already had life on Earth when that happened so not so much of a unrealsitic view that somewhere there would be other people.

These planets have been watched for years....dont they have mega telescopes seeing right onto them and have seen nothing. With all the technology we have and they haven't found a living thing. Maybe beyond our Solar System there is something out there...who knows. We dont have the technology to get there so why spend millions trying it.....when were skint tae.... :icon_eek:

Slightly different as we already had life on Earth when that happened so not so much of a unrealsitic view that somewhere there would be other people.

These planets have been watched for years....dont they have mega telescopes seeing right onto them and have seen nothing. With all the technology we have and they haven't found a living thing. Maybe beyond our Solar System there is something out there...who knows. We dont have the technology to get there so why spend millions trying it.....when were skint tae.... :icon_eek:

:laugh: :laugh: Lab ffs have you ever looked at another planet? Do you have even the smallest comprehention how fecking far away they are? We're not expecting to find fecking great sky whales floating about, we're talking tiny microbes, probably single cell organisms that have most probably long since died out.

John's point is entirely valid, we already have life in this galaxy, so not entirely unrealistic to expect to find it else where is it?

Do you ever wonder where all this technology we have came from? The science behind most of it was pointless research for the sake of furthering human knowledge which at some point later on another individual realised an application for. The world wide web being a perfect example. It's the same old argument against scientific funding by short sighted people.

• Like 2

:laugh: :laugh: Lab ffs have you ever looked at another planet? Do you have even the smallest comprehention how fecking far away they are? We're not expecting to find fecking great sky whales floating about, we're talking tiny microbes, probably single cell organisms that have most probably long since died out.

John's point is entirely valid, we already have life in this galaxy, so not entirely unrealistic to expect to find it else where is it?

Do you ever wonder where all this technology we have came from? The science behind most of it was pointless research for the sake of furthering human knowledge which at some point later on another individual realised an application for. The world wide web being a perfect example. It's the same old argument against scientific funding by short sighted people.

Ok its probably an ignorant view on my behalf but living for the here and now is more important than whats to come in the next 1000 years. We have all the technology we need as far as i'm concerened. There are people working on stuff in medicine that i'd be happy for the money to go too not for some weird space exploration where we learn nothing. Now if some scientist said that "Mars holds the key to Cancer" then dad on i say, get there and find out but unless i've missed the news then seems like aload of money for not alot.

Since you've mentioned it a couple of times mate what do you exactly mean about the WWW.......?.. :thumbs:

the natural resorses are running out fast on earth the population has exploded , in a relativly short period od time and with continue to do so. .mankind has to look further afield . or the human race will just become extinct in a relativly short period of time .

Ok its probably an ignorant view on my behalf but living for the here and now is more important than whats to come in the next 1000 years. We have all the technology we need as far as i'm concerened. There are people working on stuff in medicine that i'd be happy for the money to go too not for some weird space exploration where we learn nothing. Now if some scientist said that "Mars holds the key to Cancer" then dad on i say, get there and find out but unless i've missed the news then seems like aload of money for not alot.

Since you've mentioned it a couple of times mate what do you exactly mean about the WWW.......?.. :thumbs:

CERN is a nuclear reasearch organisation that you have most probably heard of. They don't research the causes of cancer or how to end world hunger or create world peace, they basically study the behaviour of sub atomic particles. Completely fecking useless right? Research for the sake of knowing something useless right? Well a British Engineer working there was responsible for devolping the concept of the world wide web. Without that pointless science experiment, we would'nt be having this conversation. Think how much the www has helped save lives and better the world.....

Just one example like I said, there are plenty more.

The US government don't pour Billions of dollars of funding into NASA and the like because they want to write a big science book, they do it because of the technology that comes back out for use in everyday life and for other areas of government. The books add up pretty well and they recognise such research as very worthwhile adventures.

It's a difficult thing to see for the average Jo who hasn't had anything to do with research but it's there in black and white for those who are actually interested to see.

:thumbs:

Edited by Born Hunter

CERN is a nuclear reasearch organisation that you have most probably heard of. They don't research the causes of cancer or how to end world hunger or create world peace, they basically study the behaviour of sub atomic particles. Completely fecking useless right? Research for the sake of knowing something useless right? Well a British Engineer working there was responsible for devolping the concept of the world wide web. Without that pointless science experiment, we would'nt be having this conversation. Think how much the www has helped save lives and better the world.....

So its him to blame.............. :laugh:

As i've said i know very little on the subject so most of my views may seem ignorant but i'd like to hear possibilites of why the research continues and not just guess work. Are you saying this researcher just fumbled his way to the WWW or did he have a vision and went for it...?

And for years there have been plans for the colonisation of Mars, which while technologically different than the colonisation of Australia or America is little different in concept. The voyages to the New World and Australia were dangerous and expensive in their time just as any flight to Mars carries it's price and hazards.

If there's no exploration, then there's nothing new found, if one finds nothing new then one stagnates. We do not have all the technology we need, far far from it. Someone may have said that 50 years ago, look at all we'd not have today if that belief won out.

One thing I'm glad of is the Chinese starting to explore space. I'm convinced it's NOT a benevolent space exploration but it might be the thorn under the skin of the rest to kick start their exploration and scientific programmes again.

• Like 3

So its him to blame.............. :laugh:

As i've said i know very little on the subject so most of my views may seem ignorant but i'd like to hear possibilites of why the research continues and not just guess work. Are you saying this researcher just fumbled his way to the WWW or did he have a vision and went for it...?

What I'm saying is through his work at CERN to develop an improved data management system he created the basis of the www. The potential for what he had created was realised and eventually implemented on a world wide scale. It was entirely because of his work the first version was created.

It's the unknown unknowns that are exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RpSv3HjpEw

I get that i really do. But when the world is on its knees financially and the money could go to other things then theres a problem for me. If we had an unlimited supply of money then yes of course search away till there hearts content. I'm sure it provides thousands of jobs as well....... :thumbs: