what to do with my cocker spaniel with a bleeding tail..

Hi all,

My little cocker Tilly has a full tail (due to a lazy breeder really even if he is my best mate...) Shes 14 months now and all pretty much all trained up and shes out with me either training or dogging in every night. Trouble is a couple of weeks back she cut her tail when working a hedge, i kept cleaning it and not letting her lick it but its not healing up because when she wags her tail and hits it on things it just starts bleeding again. Its not a huge cut but is annoying as it flicks blood around a bit sometimes. Cant bandage it, she'd just pull it off.

Any ideas? Or anyone know a vet that would dock her to prevent repeat injuries? i know this is incredibly unlikely that any vet would due to her age.

theres a reason why tails are docked as youve found out, pitty the feckers that banned it didnt understand that. without a vet willing to do the operation your fecked. healing the tail is the easy part just do a search on here, but keeping it healed is another matter :thumbs:

• Like 2

I wanted her to be docked but the breeder said he'd never had a problem with his 2 cockers with full tails so he didnt bother :censored: I wouldnt have another spaniel unless its been docked. The cost doesnt matter to me, she's becoming a good worker and she'll be worked a lot so i'd rather get her docked and be done with it. Now just need to find a vet thats willing.

I wanted her to be docked but the breeder said he'd never had a problem with his 2 cockers with full tails so he didnt bother :censored: I wouldnt have another spaniel unless its been docked. The cost doesnt matter to me, she's becoming a good worker and she'll be worked a lot so i'd rather get her docked and be done with it. Now just need to find a vet thats willing.

bet he don't work his two tho.. just seams to look as if he works them.. plenty people say they work their dog and and bet half them don't even walk them!

• Like 1

Cut a length of hosepipe or similar plastic tube slip it over the tail and tape in place to protect it when the dog is wagging leave the end open and pour in some wound powder twice a day until healed.

Edited by socks
  • Like 1

bet he don't work his two tho.. just seams to look as if he works them.. plenty people say they work their dog and and bet half them don't even walk them!

His dogs are worked, I wouldn't have got the pup otherwise. But I wouldn't get another one with a full tail.

Cut a length of hosepipe or similar plastic tube slip it over the tail and tape in place to protect it when the dog is wagging leave the end open and pour in some wound powder twice a day until healed.

Good idea, il try it. Cheers

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

£400notes might seem alot but in the longrun will be cheaper than the problems but the biggest PRO point is the dog will have less injuries which only be a good thing for the dog :thumbs:

ATB Cookie

I took her to my vets and they were happy to amputate her tail...but the price was 430quid! A lot of money to justify spending.

When I got my lurcher done it was under 200, would have been cheaper but the sod kept licking at his stitches.

i did this with my old dog

i went to a garden center/pond shop they do pipe in different diameter

just buy a metre its only cheep, never had a problem after that