Injury, frustrating - Mouse

My little bed/whippet lurcher is 14 months old, I've spent the last year training and stockbreaking her and was really looking forward to getting her conditioned and out on rabbits in the new season. Unfortunately, she's had this pain on and off in her stifle for the last few months. It's bad; she'd pull up lame after running (properly limping on it, not putting weight on it at all), and then (more worryingly) just yelping in pain and turning around to stare at her stifle/loin at random moments through the day

Second vet's visit, she got a shot of something (anti-inflammatories?), a prescription of pain relieving meds and intructions, again, to lay off the exercise. All seemed well so we started increasing the exercise slowly, then - after things seemed ok - gradually doing a bit more with her like free running and a tiny bit of biking, Things were ok for a while - then more pain.

I'm taking her back to the vets this week, but I'm pretty sure the next step will be an MRI scan, and - again - laying off the exercise. I'm gutted - not just because my little pal is uncomfortable/in pain, but also because I was looking forward to conditioning her through July and August, doing a bit of racing with her, and generally getting her ready for the new season in the Autumn. Now it looks like rabbiting may be off the cards for a while, though she should still be good for ratting (although that would ruin her mouth, I suppose).

I love her to bits and she'll have a home for life whatever happens - but I've waited so long for a nice little rabbiting dog, and put so much into her over the last year, that it's so frustrating to be held back by a stupid injury :(. Oh well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that this isn't permanent, and she gets over it eventually.

Also; keeping a teenage lurcher on bed rest is hell :laugh: . Poor thing, she doesn't understand why she isn't allowed to run any more.

IMG_8765.jpg

Edited by cmccmc

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stifle joint injuries are very slow to heal: the ligaments which hold the joint in the right place have a poor blood supply, and if they get over-stretched, or the joint gets a hard knock, it can, as

if you can put ya dog in a magna pulse that aids healing it pramotes better blood flow to when one of mine has been injured stick them in thattill they are ok it does cut the healing time down look it

best you found out whats the cause hope you get her sorted out now just do as the greyhound vet says atb troter

its already been said. i would try your local bone man before thinking about a MRI scan they might be able to sort the problem, much cheaper and alot better than the average vet.

a women working in my local vets reckoned i was mad taking my dogs to a bone man. she asked me for the number to one i used earlier this year as there was a problem with her dog and the vet hadnt been able to sort it.

her dogs all sorted now. :yes:

Take her to the best bone man available, A dog I had recently, injured himself doing his job, took him to the VET, diagonesed, injury just off the Saddle,((( mass bone of the shoulder plate, injection Steriods, anti imflammatry, and slow acting pain Killer,I took the same dog to a very good bone man, yes injury, the muscles coming off the saddle, and bad bruising to his stomach muscles,

he worked with the dog, electronic massage along with, Radiol, I carried out the same work as instructed, each day for a week, the dog was right back to old self bouncing,