HW77K Earning Its Keep

Our six month old had me awake at 5am this morning kicking the crap out of her flimsey travel cot! God I thought, I can't wait until we move into the new house! Moving from rental to rental just doesn't warrant buying furniture but a solid wooden cot would be very handy right now!

I looked out of the blinds to see a blue sky! Weather had been awful of late so rather than waste the morning I decided to nip out to my local permission and put the newly tuned HW77K against some rabbits.

I arrived on the permission at around 6am and immediately noticed that the birds had also taken advantage of the welcome break in the weather. The magpies and crows were out in force, as were many of the songbirds which were nice to hear.

15mins in and I spotted a half grown rabbit 60m down the hedgeline. Donning my jack pyke leaf balaclava and gloves I slowly made my way down the hedge, stopping each time the rabbit raised its head for a look around. I got within 40m when it decided all was safe enough to skip away from the hedge further into the field.

I closed down the extra distance and got to within my zeroed range of 25m. I dropped to my knees and slowly slid off my green rucksack to use as a rifle rest. I took the prone shot aiming directly behind the rabbits eye and...thwack. Direct hit, the rabbit just rolled over.

First kill after 'Full Monty' tune with Dave Hall AKA Bonnie & Clyde

20120707_072939.jpg

I gutted and skinned the rabbit and once again offered to the land owner who was picking vegetables from her plot. She greatfully accepted in exchange for some fresh beetroot. Looks like a full meal from the land is on the cards for them tonight - glad to help

Cheers lads, its a gorgeous rifle now. Lovely grain on the beech stock. Collin Molloy at MAG gave it a reblue around 12months ago and after the tune and upgraded HW97K stock its better than a new rifle. I'm a very proud owner :D

Edited by Elliott

Nothing beats an HW77 :thumbs: That looks like a superb example of the marque you have Elliott. I like the look of the 97's stock on the 77 metalwork.

Can you get one for us lefties?

All the best with yours sir.

Simon

Hi Simon, yes I believe they are available. I put up a post on BBS and landed this one. Its got lovely looking grain for a beech stock too

IMG-20120704-WA0000.jpg

The HW100KT has taken the backburner since I got it back. Its been in our family since new so its kinda a special gun for me.. I rescued it from my grandfather's barn on the farm 12 months ago. Here's how it looked before

IMG00088-20100815-1711.jpg.

IMG00090-20100815-1712.jpg

Edited by Elliott

Nice one Elliot. I have a real soft spot for the hw77. I had one as my first rifle, but did'nt realise how good it was and started hankering after all the pcps that were coming out in the 90's. Mine got religated to the scrap heap in favour of a rapid 7. Worst move i ever made. Would love another now as a long term keeper.

ATB

I'm well impressed with how well the HW97 stock has made this "Time-Honoured" HW77 look like an altogether different and attractive rifle to shoot with. Keep the posts on your shooting with it coming Elliott please. Great to read how a fellow HW77 shooter gets along with his.

All the best.

simon

Cheers lads, they are a great bit of kit. Thanks for the kind words Mike, but I can't help sense a bit of smugness there from you :lol: Must be lovely!

Yes Si, loving it mate, couldn't help but be impressed with your long range rabbit shot though. That takes some doing and is testiment to your rifle and shooting ability.

Simon, I'll keep on the lookout for a left hand stock for you. I do like the look and feel of the HW77K in the HW97K stock. Will be using this rifle solely as my main tool and hone my shooting skills so keep on the lookout for futute posts :)

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1