Australian cattle dog cross

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a mates 1/2 x acd,a grand ferreting dog that don't need telling what to do. I had the litter sister to this dog,but she got killed in action. I was lucky with pace with my bit

First crosses can be a bit slow, that is why I'm putting one to my pure grey bitch to get 3/4 grey 1/4 acd pups as for comparing them to collie crosses they have the collie brain but more of a attit

My bitch in her day

Posted Images

If you can get all three of Phil Lloyds Coney Catcher dvds you see get to see his Australian cattle x's working :thumbs: .

It was them discs that got me interested in them, then after too many years of wanting one :cray: I got offered the chance to use the stud dog I'm using :victory:

This is a cross i have always been interested in. Nearly bought one in the late 90,s or in the milliainum out of a litter Dixon bred but if my memory serves me right i think they were acd first cross x acd first cross . A mate of mine was up Scotland ferreting for a falconry club and called in to see S moffat at the time and there were some lads staying there with dogs out of this litter. My mate said he thought the dogs looked to heavy and with squat short legged to be an all round runner, just his thoughts though. Would like to see maybe lurcher x lurcher with this blood inn. Also not so long ago there were some first crosses in shooting news for sale, anybody know anything on that litter ? Cheers :thumbs: Atb

The black dog in the picture is a 1st cross x 1st cross, this dog and some of its litter kin regular lamped bags of 20-30 a night, not fantastic amount to those who numbers are a priority but steady away, he ferreted and mooched catching more than he lost, they are heavy dogs but deceptively quick in the first 30-40 yards and around the sets, would take bigger stuff but no hare dog as they have no top speed, hunt up and catch hares when legal yes but on open big fields no.

The little red on is a Grey/Whip x ACD, about 21 inch with ACD built, good moocher, great nose will hunt any scent, robust, hardy little companion, these type of lurchers arent everyones cup of tea but suit me, I have had nothing else for 20 years.

• Like 2

The black dog in the picture is a 1st cross x 1st cross, this dog and some of its litter kin regular lamped bags of 20-30 a night, not fantastic amount to those who numbers are a priority but steady away, he ferreted and mooched catching more than he lost, they are heavy dogs but deceptively quick in the first 30-40 yards and around the sets, would take bigger stuff but no hare dog as they have no top speed, hunt up and catch hares when legal yes but on open big fields no.

The little red on is a Grey/Whip x ACD, about 21 inch with ACD built, good moocher, great nose will hunt any scent, robust, hardy little companion, these type of lurchers arent everyones cup of tea but suit me, I have had nothing else for 20 years.

Fair comment wildrover, how ever how would they of fared locally to me on the lamp were all the rabbits are skitish and are up out the squat or lamp shy and heading towards two strands of barbed wire fence line. You need a rapid dog with no stalking to get up there arse and knock them off. My old minshaw dog i used to run was a slow heavy type and struggled to catch locally but excelled up the dales and borders ect, but simply couldn't cut on local lamp shy critters. How old is your 1st cross x 1st cross and did you get it off SD it could be same litter i am talking about pal. Cheers :thumbs: Atb

Fair comment wildrover, how ever how would they of fared locally to me on the lamp were all the rabbits are skitish and are up out the squat or lamp shy and heading towards two strands of barbed wire fence line. You need a rapid dog with no stalking to get up there arse and knock them off. My old minshaw dog i used to run was a slow heavy type and struggled to catch locally but excelled up the dales and borders ect, but simply couldn't cut on local lamp shy critters. How old is your 1st cross x 1st cross and did you get it off SD it could be same litter i am talking about pal. Cheers :thumbs: Atb

good post atb bunnys.

:hmm:I think if you have to hunt rabbits that are skittish or nervy,..such a hybrid, might not be your best option...

My own workload has changed somewhat,..as has my choice of lurcher.

But, I believe that it is always best, to keep what suits, your own needs....

I agree chalky i used to like stocky heavier type mutts, but always traveled up north mostly to do my running. But these days i do like a few mid week spins local and the land and the game has changed so as you say you need a dog to suit and i need a up and at them type and not a stalker, just my thoughts :thumbs: Cheers Atb

0065.jpg

• Like 2

I agree chalky i used to like stocky heavier type mutts, but always traveled up north mostly to do my running. But these days i do like a few mid week spins local and the land and the game has changed so as you say you need a dog to suit and i need a up and at them type and not a stalker, just my thoughts :thumbs: Cheers Atb

0065.jpg

Absolutely LOVE that photo. Looks like the lurcher is winking....superb :laugh::clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

• Like 1

Fair play,...and I'll say no more about the Cattle Dog hybrid,..cos,..human nature being what it is,..folk are prone to start with the silly talk and all the 'what ifs', etc,..and such predictably boring chat, is not to my taste...

Suffice to say,.I have worked and bred, a fair few Collie lurchers and have rarely, had one do the notorious, and much quoted 'stalking' business on me,..well, not unless requested, to do so :thumbs:

Amen :thumbs:
  • Like 1