• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one of the dog pups i bred out of meg 5 weeks

Here's mine

Here's my brown russel.. ..he will be 14yr old come september..  

Posted Images

Picture006.jpgMEG 6YR OLD HOPEFULLY IN PUP

now then this bitch give s me the impression of being a terrier thats worth her keep absolute cracker but then i think her owner needs a bit of credit for actually working her proper id say a lot more plummers are capable only for there owners being happy with rosette s and pound notes for pups !well done again lad and i hope she has a nice healty litter with a few coming up to the standard she looks to be :thumbs:
  • Like 3

DEE,there is a few lads that work their plummers and have no interest in shows or rosettes,this breed only lost its way when plummer got ill and lost control of the direction and size of the resulting progeny,women and showmen with no idea of work took control of the associations and clubs producing stock that bore no relation or size to his original standards set down at the outset,I believe the breed is still unfinished and nowhere near ready to register as a true to type breed standard dog,there is still work to do in producing steady workable terriers of the right size and shape that have no health problems of note,there is a few lads trying to make the difference now but not enough cross club co operation to make a notable difference,all my dogs from back to my first in the late 70's have been bred for size and work,by the way my dogs are not registered but are a more true to original plummer standard than most of the poor tempered dogs bred by the clubs,WM

• Like 2

fair play wirral man from reading your posts i know you ve a fondness for the plummer but only as a worker which in my mind is the only way to keep them going forward the good old working terrier of all creeds thrived for years when all men were looking was an honest tyke to do a days work the terriers only came under pressure when people looked at them as fashion statements and money making ventures and over looked what there main purpose was and this goes for numerous working dogs its a disgrace imo but hopefully with a few men like yourself involved the proper plummers will come to the fore yet best of luck dee mac

• Like 1

DEE,there is a few lads that work their plummers and have no interest in shows or rosettes,this breed only lost its way when plummer got ill and lost control of the direction and size of the resulting progeny,women and showmen with no idea of work took control of the associations and clubs producing stock that bore no relation or size to his original standards set down at the outset,I believe the breed is still unfinished and nowhere near ready to register as a true to type breed standard dog,there is still work to do in producing steady workable terriers of the right size and shape that have no health problems of note,there is a few lads trying to make the difference now but not enough cross club co operation to make a notable difference,all my dogs from back to my first in the late 70's have been bred for size and work,by the way my dogs are not registered but are a more true to original plummer standard than most of the poor tempered dogs bred by the clubs,WM

how did she get the positiion the first place

Yes a mate of mine has a Tri colour out of Rip's son..he does not do fox with it as he does not like the idea of digging or the dog getting bitten badly he has bolted one though to the shotgun but that is all.... the dog is cracking for marking rabbit/ratting also retrieving to the shot gun and tracking legaly shot roe with a .243..in my eye's he is a cracking little terrier..very similar stamp to Rip just a different colour.. :thumbs:

Edited to add i've heard on the grape vine they is still a daughter of rip on the go but apparently she is full of tumour's but getting on a bit i suppose..and the son to rip was apparently a cracking foxing dog and went for silly money..he looked like a cross between rip and his dam..

did the bitch that was put to him recently take at all?

its great to talk about working plummers. and there are a few of them about. but few of them if any are from a long line of workers. so even if you go worker to worker the stock will be inconsisent. there are many good terriers in plummer history. dogs that worked well. but very few are at the front of the pedigree. its the dogs that are on the ground right now that are the future. if people are keen to improve this breed as a worker the best way forward is to get decent unbroken working stock over there bitches. this would mean outcrossing to a dog that has years of work behind it. and is bred from generations of the same. a working terrier outcross. putting good blood to the fore. if the working folk where as organised as the show folk. they would be on a better footing than they are now. the biggest stumbling block is getting someone with quality lines that suit to allow there blood to be used over what they see as second rate and not worthy of breeding off.. these are just my thoughts on the future for working plummers. the fate of the show plummer is just about sealed so isnt really of interest to me :hmm:

• Like 2

C.S.there are more than you know of looking to bring the old standard back to the fore for working,the obvious "REMLAP" lines were always the earthdogs but there are many other lines now starting to produce steady dogs to dig to in the preservation of game,all terriers in my mind should be bred for work and nothing else,something the show people should consider when suggesting possible stud dogs for mating suitable bitches,temperament is also just as important when working around other dogs,steady improvement is my goal with each mating and I try to put as much work into my dogs as I can each day,my last litter of pups were easilly the best workers I've ever bred in 40 yrs so heres to my next generation of the "modern plummer",WM

• Like 1