wanting to grow a hedge so question is...............

because i dont like the prices,would cost a fortune for the size i want just wondered is there any typical hedgerow plants that grow naturaly that are commonly found that i could literaly take cuttings from and stick in the ground that will take and grow on cheers

Edited by hunter1372

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

always best to see a trimmed bush

I know my stuff on hedge planting do 100clicks of barerooting ever season and your attempts of saving money will be in vain. You will have a better hedge quicker if you go for proper plants from a su

i put laural in makes a nice tidy hedge and cheap --look out for cattle market sales -- kept under control 3 sides of mine are conifers ..i bought 50 conifers from cuttings years ago they came in a jiffy bag :D buddlias a good gap filler and quick growing mine came off a railway embankment ..

Edited by the_stig
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

What length in meters are you planning ?

Is it open to deer rabbits eg do you need to factor in guards to the cost as it pointless taking cuttings and for them to be destroyed by coneys or deer.

You know this is job to be planned for sept to march .

Have you looked at the cost of bare root hedge available from nov to march.

I can assure you its possable to take cutting but its hard work and sometimes only 50% of the cutting will take.

The cost of buying good quality bareroots with guards will ensure a better hedge in the longrun.

Good luck :thumbs: Cookie

for the whole perimeter of my place it would need to be around 70metres long with no rabbits or deer to worry about,so with hawthorn/blackthorn what do i need to do,literaly cut a lenth off and stick it in the ground, or is that bit to simple an idea on my part and theres more to it than that cheers :D

Edited by hunter1372

Thing is with cutting it will be a year before they root and can be planted out . your better spending even some cash and buying even bare rooted stock in come the autumn

Thing is with cutting it will be a year before they root and can be planted out . your better spending even some cash and buying even bare rooted stock in come the autumn

or find a new road thats just been planted against the fenceline :whistling:

paulus' timestamp='1341425457' post='2699320']

'The one' timestamp='1341425307' post='2699314']

Its still light here after midnight :whistling::laugh:

paulus' timestamp='1341425457' post='2699320']

'The one' timestamp='1341425307' post='2699314']

Its still light here after midnight :whistling::laugh:

:thumbs::laugh:

did find one few months ago,missed an opertunity there :D i remember the cmw used to advertise them for cover etc but dont seem to have them in it anymore