what long net?

Im wamting to get a couple of long nets prob 6oz & 50yard long. but not sure where to get them from or quite sure what type of net ie traditional long net v quick set.

If i understand it correctly any long net can be turned into a quick set just by adding a basket and poles so that would deal with that question. I have picked 50yard nets cause they are prob easier to use then 100 yard, or would i be better with 4x 25 yard nets? where is the best/least expensive place to get them from? Never used long nets before alwayd used purse nets. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Guest scramble

Im wamting to get a couple of long nets prob 6oz & 50yard long. but not sure where to get them from or quite sure what type of net ie traditional long net v quick set.

If i understand it correctly any long net can be turned into a quick set just by adding a basket and poles so that would deal with that question. I have picked 50yard nets cause they are prob easier to use then 100 yard, or would i be better with 4x 25 yard nets? where is the best/least expensive place to get them from? Never used long nets before alwayd used purse nets. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Its a matter of choice. some will swear by traditional, others quick sets. quick sets are easier to use for the beginner IMO, especially in windy conditions as it prevents all the slack running to one end. some trad nets have the slack stitched every 5 yards to help against this happening. whichever you decide to go for my advice would be to take it down to the local park/field and have a practise in daylight setting and picking up your nets until your confident you can do it at night. If your mainly using them for ferreting i'd say go for 2 50 yard nets or the 4 25 yard nets this will give you a lot more options than a single 100 yard net. I Got my last quick set net from a guy called Nelson on Ebay, good quality, really well made and cheap as chips. i think his details are on the "where to buy nets" topic in the ferreting section. Or if your feeling flush with cash then MasterHunter does some good kit at a premium price . never used his kit myself but a few on here will recommend him.

SCRAMBLE

Edited by scramble
  • Like 1

Thanks

Its a matter of choice. some will swear by traditional, others quick sets. quick sets are easier to use for the beginner IMO, especially in windy conditions as it prevents all the slack running to one end. some trad nets have the slack stitched every 5 yards to help against this happening. whichever you decide to go for my advice would be to take it down to the local park/field and have a practise in daylight setting and picking up your nets until your confident you can do it at night. If your mainly using them for ferreting i'd say go for 2 50 yard nets or the 4 25 yard nets this will give you a lot more options than a single 100 yard net. I Got my last quick set net from a guy called Nelson on Ebay, good quality, really well made and cheap as chips. i think his details are on the "where to buy nets" topic in the ferreting section. Or if your feeling flush with cash then MasterHunter does some good kit at a premium price . never used his kit myself but a few on here will recommend him.

SCRAMBLE

Agree got a 50yd quick set off Nelson last year and just ordered another first class nets at a great price also a good honest lad.

I would make my own from sheet netting, it's easy enough to do ,do one traditional and one quick set ,practice with both you will soon realise which is the one for you, you will get the instructions off of here easy enough and save good money by doing it,good luck

Guest scramble

What weight would you all recomed 4oz or 6oz?

Been told 4oz is too easy to tangle and collect derbis.

As with most things its a personal choice, if your trying to save cash then go for 4z. every net will collect debris no matter if its 4z or 6z.

SCRAMBLE

I agree with scramble, 4 oz to be honest if you do your home work when setting at night you won't have a problem , both will tangle until you get used to using them you will probably. Focus on one or two good drops a night and you can untangle to your hearts content in the daylight, it is better mind if you can lift them cleanly after every drop, good thing to do is to watch your setting hedges closely, keep then tidy, yourself if possible it all helps