Terrier size

Dose any one else think us irish work bigger dogs then the boys across the water it's just that had an English chap over and he seemes to think or dogs or at lest mine and my mats dogs are huge

Guest thebigdog

If you cant span your terrier he wont get to a fox

You will be supprised how narrow a fox is, i see lots of black terriers that would not be able to get to a fox

The owners a happy with them and what work they have for them

bollocks!!! if the terrier wants it, he will find a way. :thumbs:

• Like 6

You will be supprised how narrow a fox is, i see lots of black terriers that would not be able to get to a fox

I must have small hands then !!!

a fox will squeeze into places no terrier will get to ,fact , its horses for causes if you have big earths with big tubes you need a bigger dog if there tight rabbity places you need a smaller dog simples

• Like 2

rubbish. a terrier needs to be small enough to get. and if its a terrier for fox work it needs to be a handy size. i get sick of hearing people talking nonesense sometimes. so here is the truth. a terrier for fox needs to be small. bigger terriers will get to some foxes if they dig on but if they hit hard ground roots rock etc they are stuffed. to many folk breeding terriers to big these days. :yes: they are ok for the odd day out with no pressure but it aint doing the breed any favours.

why are folk breeding and bigging up oversized terriers. is it becouse smaller more usefull fox dogs are much harder to breed..

lets face it a dog of say 22 pounds faceing a fourteen pound fox should fair well. as all the odds are in its favour :thumbs: but a small terrier of say fourteen pounds will often have to face a much larger fox than itself. so you need a different animal. anyone that thinks a big terrier can get if it really wants to is kidding themselves. or they havnt done a lot of fox work with terriers.

i'm not one for the spanning yardstick as i think the shape of a terrier also dictates if it will get . i think the yanks tape measure method is a better idea. . this of course is just my opinion. and may generate some discussion :D

• Like 6

rubbish. a terrier needs to be small enough to get. and if its a terrier for fox work it needs to be a handy size. i get sick of hearing people talking nonesense sometimes. so here is the truth. a terrier for fox needs to be small. bigger terriers will get to some foxes if they dig on but if they hit hard ground roots rock etc they are stuffed. to many folk breeding terriers to big these days. :yes: they are ok for the odd day out with no pressure but it aint doing the breed any favours.

why are folk breeding and bigging up oversized terriers. is it becouse smaller more usefull fox dogs are much harder to breed..

lets face it a dog of say 22 pounds faceing a fourteen pound fox should fair well. as all the odds are in its favour :thumbs: but a small terrier of say fourteen pounds will often have to face a much larger fox than itself. so you need a different animal. anyone that thinks a big terrier can get if it really wants to is kidding themselves. or they havnt done a lot of fox work with terriers.

i'm not one for the spanning yardstick as i think the shape of a terrier also dictates if it will get . i think the yanks tape measure method is a better idea. . this of course is just my opinion. and may generate some discussion :D

Same old same old if a biggish terrier wants it it will get there ..Yeah right in rock, chalk ,small drainsetc etc Total pish .
  • Like 3
Guest thebigdog

Same old same old if a biggish terrier wants it it will get there ..Yeah right in rock, chalk ,small drainsetc etc Total pish .

no one mentioned rock, chalk, drain's etc. he said "if you cant span your terrier he wont get to a fox", which is BOLLOCKS.

• Like 2

when talking about big terriers, what sizes are you talking about?

my biggest terrier is 13" tts with a 15" chest, and he struggles to get to his badgers from time to time.

anything bigger would be hopeless around here imo.