Tips on getting my dad to let me get a shotgun licence

Hey guys. My dad has said he may let me get a shotgun licence soon but he has been say that for the best part of 2 years. I am 14 years old and have done some clay pigeon shooting with basc at gamefairs etc. One of my Instructors advised my dad to get me a Licence but he hasn't yet. I know all about gun saftey and have been around shotguns and rifles all my life. I also have some permission in shrewsbury. Any tips are welcome. Many Thanks, Will.

My dad wouldn't let me have an air rifle at that age because I was a little s**t :laugh:

Remind him that if you got one, you couldn't use it unless you were under adult supervision anyway, also ask if would be worth him getting one then buying a shotgun with your money, good luck :thumbs:

Tell him that if you get a licence, you realise you will always have to behave and knock around with the right mates.

My 11 year old son has just got his first certificate, and the feo, said they are all for kids getting them for that reason.

It will give you a lot of responsibility.

All the best luck, with your Dad.

• Like 1

Tell him that if you get a licence, you realise you will always have to behave and knock around with the right mates.

My 11 year old son has just got his first certificate, and the feo, said they are all for kids getting them for that reason.

It will give you a lot of responsibility.

All the best luck, with your Dad.

Spot on Tegater.

Even as an adult, it makes an FAC or SGC holder less likely to indulge in irresponsible practises. My tickets have made me 'wind my neck in' a couple of times now, and I'd like to think I'm a patient and level-headed chap.

• Like 2

Will, my son was 10 when he got his - not that it will make you feel any better. Try pointing out to your Dad that when you apply for yours, you will be interviewed by the police and they will provide him with an independent assessment of your maturity. He can be proud of you for being so responsible and for having a real interest instead of hanging about on street corners or sitting in front of the xBox all day. Fifty quid well-spent in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Nick

Tough one really. Depends on what your dads attitude is to guns and you owning one in general. Some parents are quite strict. I know mine would not let me get a motorbike for about 8 years, until one day when i was in my 20`s I basically told them I was going to get one and that was that. My problem was that I lived at home and my parents would not let me have a motorbike on their property so I had to respect that. With guns on the other hand, my Dad had a license and a few guns, so it was not even a problem - although I was older than you.

just tell him you will cry and stomp your feet if he doesnt, if that dont work get him pissed and get him to sign the forms :thumbs::laugh:

lol :thumbs: try and get hold of some freshly shot wood pigeons and cook him a slap up meal, when he realises how good the free meat is i cant see him saying no :boogy:

also as has been said it puts on a very good road to being a sensible and responsible young man :thumbs:

good luck and all the best

ant

SGC is a good conduct certificate you MUST be careful about choosing freinds and make sure you behave and walk away from any confrontations Phone SACS on Monday 01698 885206 ask Elspeth to send you out a membership (free if you are under 18) that way you are covered by Insurance ask Elspeth for Tam's number and if your Dad phones him he will explain the advantages of letting you shoot under supervision. Best of luck. JO :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

im 14 and in 3rd year and my da says he would buy a gun if i did really well in my junior cert so if ur in 3rd year jst say u'll do ur best if u buy mi a gun

hahah :)

that's the best i have herd good man ritz

and just to let everybody no that ritz got his first rabbit the other night out on the lamp good dog ritz

Edited by doggy style
  • 4 weeks later...

safety, make sure you are 100% safe with a shotgun, once you have shown a positive and mature approach to the shooting world, depending on your dads attitude to guns, there is no logical reason why he should not let you get one, does he own guns himself? :thumbs: