Dogs killing rabbits - am i in trouble?

Just to let you know where the 'killings' took place as i'm sure that may make all the difference...a couple of times rabbits were caught by the dogs at a local golf course (evening when no golfers were about) and the golf course is municipal not private so dog walkers 'sneak' on regularly. The other location is at a local massive windfarm (to be precise in the small part of the forest where the wind farm doesn't impose) so theres rarely any people there and an ideal place for my dogs. Its nothing but forest and moorland for miles.

I'm worried if someone ever saw my dogs kill a fluffy bunny and confronted me - i wouldn't know what to say in my defence as i'm not sure it's "defendable" - can anyone advise/help? Thanks so much!

You have no defense. You do not have permission to kill the rabbits in those areas.

excellent - show me the section of law that says that cos that's precisely what i'm looking for, thanks!

The law does not write down all variables.

Quite simple really....you have to prove your innocence. You knowingly allow your uncontrolled dogs to be unleashed in areas you know they may chase and/or kill rabbits. It is against the law to kill rabbits in places you do not have permission to do so.....simples ;)

Spot on Moll. Basically, killing any animal with dogs is illegal in England and Wales. Rabbits and rats are the only exemptions but only if you have permission to do so from the landowner who owns the land. The definition of landowner also extends to someone who rents the land, as far as I'm aware.

i'm in scotland but get the point. Glad i asked as i genuinely didn't know the state of play with regard to this. Thanks for all your input!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a bona fide poacher! Welcome to the community and atb. Wally.

you'll probably get twelve months but don't worry you'll be out in six.

The law does not write down all variables. Quite simple really....you have to prove your innocence. You knowingly allow your uncontrolled dogs to be unleashed in areas you know they may chase and/or

i'm in scotland but get the point. Glad i asked as i genuinely didn't know the state of play with regard to this. Thanks for all your input!

As far as i am aware it is the same in Scotland...even more strict.

There is no bet out clause i am afraid.

• Like 1

The wording is different with regards to the legislation in Scotland, but you still need the permission. :thumbs:

Just be careful! :)

I`m after a wee pup, howd`ye fancy putting that rabbit killing cairn over yin oh Kittles wee lurchers !! hahahahahahaha

he's ready for stud now (just turned 3) n very good with the ladies lololol - cairns r hilarious wee dogs, full of it, gotta luv 'em hehe

Edited by Tania Welsh

Hi everyone - i'm new to the forum and so i hope i have posted in the correct place as i need some advice?

I have 3 dogs (working cocker, cairn terrier & rottweiler). My working cocker and cairn have both caught rabbits whilst out on our walks and my question is; what's the law on this? ie; am i in trouble?

My dogs LOVE and LIVE to sniff out critters - most the time they catch nothing but get a bloody good chase and its a joy to see them being natural and loving life. On a few occassions (rotty excluded as she's too slow lol) they have caught a few rabbits, a few hares and a few pigeons. As far as i'm concerned its a darn good meal for them and natural but i'm clueless with regard to the law on this and would really appreciate some help from the experts on this forum.

Just to let you know where the 'killings' took place as i'm sure that may make all the difference...a couple of times rabbits were caught by the dogs at a local golf course (evening when no golfers were about) and the golf course is municipal not private so dog walkers 'sneak' on regularly. The other location is at a local massive windfarm (to be precise in the small part of the forest where the wind farm doesn't impose) so theres rarely any people there and an ideal place for my dogs. Its nothing but forest and moorland for miles.

I'm worried if someone ever saw my dogs kill a fluffy bunny and confronted me - i wouldn't know what to say in my defence as i'm not sure it's "defendable" - can anyone advise/help? Thanks so much!

You have a cocker spaniel, a cairn terrier, and a rottweiller that have caught a few hares?

Hi everyone - i'm new to the forum and so i hope i have posted in the correct place as i need some advice?

I have 3 dogs (working cocker, cairn terrier & rottweiler). My working cocker and cairn have both caught rabbits whilst out on our walks and my question is; what's the law on this? ie; am i in trouble?

My dogs LOVE and LIVE to sniff out critters - most the time they catch nothing but get a bloody good chase and its a joy to see them being natural and loving life. On a few occassions (rotty excluded as she's too slow lol) they have caught a few rabbits, a few hares and a few pigeons. As far as i'm concerned its a darn good meal for them and natural but i'm clueless with regard to the law on this and would really appreciate some help from the experts on this forum.

critters hhaahahahahahahah a few hares hahahahahahahajahahajajahahajhahahahhahahahaha

You have a cocker spaniel, a cairn terrier, and a rottweiller that have caught a few hares?

I was wondering the same thing about the hares :laugh: