how to guess the size

how to guage the size i ask this because i;ve allways had small lurchers c x whippet beddy x whippets so in choosing the first dog for 5 years i went to see collie x whippet x saluki x whippet seen both parents dog was 23 ins bitch was 23 1/2 so bought the last bitch out of 10 pups told the wife 23 ins tops now bitch is 26 ins and is a big dog try getting near the fire but wouldn't swap her for the world so how do you gauge size it's going to grow to

millybot

I've seen the smallest pup in a litter make the biggest and vice versa,so imo it's impossible to guess the size.

I suppose you can get a rough idea from the size of the parents etc.....but your pup as proved even that theory to be wrong.

The size of the feet can be a good indication.

Anyway good luck with your pup :thumbs:

its not always possible to gauge size from the parents as it is just as likely to throw towards one of the grandparents its a common problem with litters of lurcher to lurcher bred pups. its called litter spread :thumbs:

Genes are funny old things: which is why many people prefer first crosses, because it is easier to predict the size by crossing two breeds than once you start adding lots of different breeds into the mix. And of course, how many breeders actually know the exact breeds in their lurchers once you go beyond a first cross? People are told that their pup is xyz when they buy it, but for all they know it might be xyzww: with the ww being a long distant greyhound ancestor or two. People like this aren't actually lying any more than the person who told them what the cross was, they too may have been misinformed. The number of people with rescue dogs of breeding unknown who claim to know their dog's breeding is unbelievable, just because a rescue centre told them the dog was this or that, based purely on the shape and size of the dog.

The only way you could accurately predict the size of a lurcher with more than two breeds in it is if you know for a fact that there are no breeds larger than the size you want in the line. But of course it could then go the other way, and I knew someone who got a Deer/Greyx Saluki/Whippet. All the litter bar his came out around 25 inches, but his ended up 20 inches, Whippet sized! He was just unlucky!

• Like 1

Funny what you mention about the questionable breeding of some rescued dogs....i was recently walking my bunch when i got talking to a lady with her newly aquired rescued pup...about 6 months old,,, it was by all accounts 75% staffordshire or the like, couldnt believe that she told me its nearly a full labrador or so the kennels told her.....wow.