free running? is it lazyness?

is allowing your dog to do lots of free running lazy? i like to have more road walking then free running but i know they need some to build stamina and practise turning.

why don't you like to see them free running? bit wierd! I find walking them off the lead in the countryside 100 times more enjoyable than road walking!

• Like 8

Why on earth would "free running" be lazy ??? You don't sit at home and let the dogs out the back door for a run about ! At least I dont. If you take your dogs for a walk off the leads for about 5 mile, the dogs will probably do about 10 !

Cheers.

• Like 5

road walking allows me to control the pace

and you need to control the pace for what reason exactly? your dogs must be well pissed off with you! mine would go mental if I kept her on a lead for walk after walk! they're running dogs bud, they like RUNNING!

• Like 3

when you mean free running 2 you mean from a pushbike or car or do you just mean letting of the lead 2 run about cos i think they 2 different things completly ,personaly a love nothink better then getting on the bikes and let the dogs run by my side for miles on local cyclepath trough greenbelt land keeps the dog in great condition and get me out aswell ,

is allowing your dog to do lots of free running lazy? i like to have more road walking then free running but i know they need some to build stamina and practise turning.

think you need to leave the fizzy pop alone pal,thought you knewwhat it was about ,, no its clear ;;; you dont!!! :laugh:

can,t think of anything more boring than roadwalking :no:

same here, my dog tweaked a muscle last year so I had to stick to road walking for 2 weeks....I don't know which one of us was going more mental by the end of it!! Don't mind running her alongside the bike down country lanes but walking round built up areas is painfully dull!

• Like 1

You need to explain what you mean by “free running”.

Mine get a mix of road and off lead, i.e. last night went for a run, ½ mile on leads road until we got to the river then off lead for a couple of miles across country along the bank and across fields followed with 2 miles back on the lead road work home. The road work is at a human/dog trot, free is running ahead, chasing bunnies etc then back to me for jog recovery if they want. Neither is lazy, both add something to the fitness.

True road work is rarely undertaken these days with the dog pulling on the lead like a cart horse.

• Like 1