Culling for the good

Have culled large litters in the past and would do again.

Only ever bred when ive needed to keep a line going so not very often but the pups are usually ordered before birth sooner gift a pup to the right home than sell it on to a stranger.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Things like this are best not spoke about on the net fellahs IMHO. Do what needs doing or not what ever the case but i wouldnt speak about it to anyone never mind on the net...     Keep things tigh

Surely if they are worth breeding, then you should have more folk after pups than pups born . . . . . .   Although i totally agree with culling in theory, i think a lot of folk like talking about it

Let's hope you don't cull the good ones.

I hate the idea of people having to cull litters down, if im honist i could never do it.

But the way things are going ( and so long as its done without suffering) its probably better or better still dont breed at all,

even rescues are struggaling with the amount of dogs needing to come in - as not enough are going out.

My foster dog has been with me since october and not one bit of intrest - even though she would make a great family pet.

• Like 1

Culling is a hard thing to do, but say you could get your numbers down without going through the grit and grief of it, in the long run I really think it is the right thing to do and it should be done a lot more often.

I do understand where the person was coming from when they said it maybe best wasn't brought up. But maybe it should be brought up so more people consider it. Then maybe there wouldn't be the need for so many dogs to be going into pounds and foster care (don't even know if yous have that over there).

Plus it's a whole lot better for the bitch having less pups because it puts less stress on her which results in the pups being more healthy.

As a young lad, I remember asking my father for a dog of the same breeding as his own. His dogs were bred by a friend of his back then, and now bred by a few keen men in the North. I waited years for the gent (rip) to eventually breed his best bitch, and when he did he kept only enough for the people who were wanting one. The same rule has applied since, and the same line is going today from way back before I got into dogs in the 60's, and not one pup has ever gone for sale. Ive never bred a litter myself, I dont have the time or patience for it, but if I did I would be following the same rules.

Dogs bred for work from hard earned lines, dont deserve to be flung into the open market where they will obviously fall into the hands of folk who wont give them the work they desire, and who may also not work them at all and use them as breeders for profit etc, the thought makes my stomach turn.

As a young lad, I remember asking my father for a dog of the same breeding as his own. His dogs were bred by a friend of his back then, and now bred by a few keen men in the North. I waited years for the gent (rip) to eventually breed his best bitch, and when he did he kept only enough for the people who were wanting one. The same rule has applied since, and the same line is going today from way back before I got into dogs in the 60's, and not one pup has ever gone for sale. Ive never bred a litter myself, I dont have the time or patience for it, but if I did I would be following the same rules.

Dogs bred for work from hard earned lines, dont deserve to be flung into the open market where they will obviously fall into the hands of folk who wont give them the work they desire, and who may also not work them at all and use them as breeders for profit etc, the thought makes my stomach turn.

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GETTING AT. :boogy:

dont breed off shit and shit wont need to be culled!!!! if i ever bred a litter it would be because the resulting pups should be better than the the parents so why the f**k would i knock them on the head :icon_eek: and no one in this world can tell which ones wont be the best out the litter at a few days old, so it seems a stupid idea to me!! if hancock and the likes can find homes for 100s of pups each year out of pet collies and ex racers then surely 8-10 pups out of good workers cant be that had to find owners for :hmm: :hmm:

• Like 2

Ive never really been one for selling pups to make a few quid i have sold the odd pup iv e had left over from the odd litter ive bred,if i do mate dogs its usaually because the dog has earned the right to be bred off of and i have homes for the litter before they hit the floor.If i did breed another litter in the future and the litter was to big oi know what id be doing.

Edited by Penda

dont breed off shit and shit wont need to be culled!!!! if i ever bred a litter it would be because the resulting pups should be better than the the parents so why the f**k would i knock them on the head :icon_eek: and no one in this world can tell which ones wont be the best out the litter at a few days old, so it seems a stupid idea to me!! if hancock and the likes can find homes for 100s of pups each year out of pet collies and ex racers then surely 8-10 pups out of good workers cant be that had to find owners for :hmm: :hmm:

I know some good dog men, both in Oz and UK, and they wouldnt want their stock ending up in any pet home, or one that didnt exactly meet their standards, dogs from top breeding need the right owners to get the best out of them. I guess it depends on your standards, and how much you cherish your line of workers.

I know some good dog men, both in Oz and UK, and they wouldnt want their stock ending up in any pet home, or one that didnt exactly meet their standards, dogs from top breeding need the right owners to get the best out of them. I guess it depends on your standards, and how much you cherish your line of workers.

OR your worried your stock might not meet others standards ;)

Absolute joke. Don't breed if you are going to cull, and why seek to breed some mental thing in the UK anyway, a dog that 'isnt for everyone'?? The antis, RSPCA and wildlife police must love coming on this site...

we do :bye: