why does dogs eat their own shit ???

A dog is driven to ingest , he can satisfy the need to ingest by just using his nose, they do it all the time , but when they come across a prey full essence in something they will taste it ,blood, body fluids, other animal shit and if its edible they will eat it , dogs usually dont get a charge out of their own,,what age is the pup,,?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It tastes nice!   Trust me

I've never heard of raw fed dogs doing it. When, in the old days, I fed complete food, I had a couple do it as pups. The moment I switched to raw meat and bone etc it stopped. Some people say that do

To stop you from kissing them or or because they've seen you doing it

:whistling: one of mine does it -- even hides a few in his bed for supper ...he`s 5 year old tried the pineapple and tomatos he thinks i`m doin him a favour . have to be quick with the old dustpan ...

thats grand kids for ya :whistling::laugh:

:D :D .....

:whistling: one of mine does it -- even hides a few in his bed for supper ...he`s 5 year old tried the pineapple and tomatos he thinks i`m doin him a favour . have to be quick with the old dustpan ...

your mum said you dint get out the habit till you whr in your 30s --- :tongue2:

your mum said you dint get out the habit till you whr in your 30s --- :tongue2:

40's :icon_eek:

I've never heard of raw fed dogs doing it. When, in the old days, I fed complete food, I had a couple do it as pups. The moment I switched to raw meat and bone etc it stopped. Some people say that dogs eat their own crap because they are stressed, some say they do it because they've been told off for crapping in the wrong place.

Personally, I believe that complete food contains so many preservatives and flavour enhancers that the crap smells very edible: anyone who feeds raw will notice that the smell is much less strong: unless you are daft enough to feed loads of fresh liver and heart (which is not healthy at all by the way).

Also, complete foods containing a lot of cereals are harder to digest so much of that cereal matter goes through the dog semi digested. Dogs tend to eat it as it still smells good and they are urged to recycle it, for want of a better phrase. Crap of all animals also contains certain minerals which the dog may, for one reason or another, find it hard to digest the first time around.

Dogs eat the crap of herbivores all the time to get those minerals and trace elements, things they need, but find it hard to get from eating vegetables themselves. By the time it has been through a herbivore gut it is just right for a dog to make use of. IMO it is far less common, or natural, for dogs to eat the crap of other predators.

Like I said, I've never had a dog do it on a raw diet. Dogs are also the ultimate scavengers, and will eat pretty much anything which appears to us as disgusting and smelly! These are just my thoughts on the matter.

• Like 2

I've never heard of raw fed dogs doing it. When, in the old days, I fed complete food, I had a couple do it as pups. The moment I switched to raw meat and bone etc it stopped. Some people say that dogs eat their own crap because they are stressed, some say they do it because they've been told off for crapping in the wrong place.

Personally, I believe that complete food contains so many preservatives and flavour enhancers that the crap smells very edible: anyone who feeds raw will notice that the smell is much less strong: unless you are daft enough to feed loads of fresh liver and heart (which is not healthy at all by the way).

Also, complete foods containing a lot of cereals are harder to digest so much of that cereal matter goes through the dog semi digested. Dogs tend to eat it as it still smells good and they are urged to recycle it, for want of a better phrase. Crap of all animals also contains certain minerals which the dog may, for one reason or another, find it hard to digest the first time around.

Dogs eat the crap of herbivores all the time to get those minerals and trace elements, things they need, but find it hard to get from eating vegetables themselves. By the time it has been through a herbivore gut it is just right for a dog to make use of. IMO it is far less common, or natural, for dogs to eat the crap of other predators.

Like I said, I've never had a dog do it on a raw diet. Dogs are also the ultimate scavengers, and will eat pretty much anything which appears to us as disgusting and smelly! These are just my thoughts on the matter.

i also believe its down to the individual dog, i bred a litter of lurcher pups and a litter of terrier pups the lurcher bitch wasnt interest in the pups by week 3 and they were weaned she never cleaned up the crap after that, the terrier bitch on the other hand was over the top with her pups regurgitating food and i had to take her out at 8 weeks as she was still eating their crap.

thanks penny i will try changeing her diet she on,she on bones and flesh the complete food she on is snedys wonderdog the green bag i ,ve changed it from betta puppy which she still did it the same ,i will try a pure tripe/beef/chicken/mince diet see if their any change ,thanks again penny

Don't forget the minced veg: carrots, greens (cabbage, brussels etc). celery, apples, sweet peppers, green beans: pretty much everything except onions, leeks and raw potatoes, and grapes. Puree or mince finely. And either rolled oats or cooked brown rice: just a very small cup full. this last is for fibre: roughage so the dog doesn't get constipated and is also a source of carbs.

Edited by skycat

i also believe its down to the individual dog, i bred a litter of lurcher pups and a litter of terrier pups the lurcher bitch wasnt interest in the pups by week 3 and they were weaned she never cleaned up the crap after that, the terrier bitch on the other hand was over the top with her pups regurgitating food and i had to take her out at 8 weeks as she was still eating their crap.

Skycat your the man in the know, i read a lot of your posts and i've learnt alot :thumbs:

Skycat your the man in the know, i read a lot of your posts and i've learnt alot :thumbs:

she`s a lady :laugh: gives sound advice though :thumbs:
  • Like 1

she`s a lady :laugh: gives sound advice though :thumbs:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i do apolagise :thumbs:

I sometimes think that anything which irritates the gut is likely to make a dog eat all sorts of things it wouldn't normally eat: so if the gut is irritated by a heavy worm burden, that follows. I've also noticed that my dogs are more likely to eat masses of grass, even chew on wood, when they have worms.

skycat when dogs

I sometimes think that anything which irritates the gut is likely to make a dog eat all sorts of things it wouldn't normally eat: so if the gut is irritated by a heavy worm burden, that follows. I've also noticed that my dogs are more likely to eat masses of grass, even chew on wood, when they have worms.

skycat when dogs have worms is it possable for them to look bloted, in the stomach