rangefinder

I have a Swaro rangefinder and I have pinged up to 2300m in good conditions. The downside is that the aiming point is a circle which is difficult to hold onto targets whilst pinging. They do need to be mounted onto a tripod for any meaningful long range work. For short range, below 300m, hand held is OK. I cannot fault the performance though.

leica 900 scan would do the job. around £250 to £275 for the older model. you can get cheaper rangefinders. but at least with these ones you can use them at night to under lamp. as they have red lcd display

• Like 1

All laser rangefinders will work in the dark; the issue is more, can you see what you are pinging? Mist, fog, heavy rain and snow are a different kettle of fish. All of these conditions are a result of precipitation between you and the target and, although particle size may vary all will reflect the laser pulse to a greater or lesser degree. You may find that you get a reading but it may be erroneous.

Just bought one of these. http://www.uttingsoutdoors.co.uk/Product/238/107269/hawke-compact-lrf-400-rangefinder-rf5400/. A lot my mates ave MTc ones but this has more functions than the MTc works for me I'm only u sing air but works from 5 yard to 400 yard has rain and fog mode too very impressed for the price

Edited by dave goodall

Professionally I use Leica, but I bought myself a set of the Deben 600, and for most things I cant fault them. They dont work quite as well as the leica in mist, but are fine in the rain, even without changing to the "rain" setting.

I rarley use them at night as I always reduce my shootable distance anyway to a range less than 150m so I dont need to adjust or aim of, with the exception of possibly .2 mil. For that reason, I have not missed the illuminated reticle/reading.

I have a cheap as chips one made by AKAH, it works well out to 600m even in rain, but its fair to poor in heavy mist. I did have a PL10 but needed some cash one day, sad to see it go but cant say I have missed it that much, easy come easy go.

i use a rangefinder for my fac air rifle and the .204 at longer range but to be honest i would not really use a hmr past 200 and the trajectory is so good i would probably save my money and just be aware of the drop off out to 200.unless of course you have more rifles to use it with then why not.just about any of the cheaper ones will be good enough.

Mike the trajectory might be flatish out to 200, but at the latter stages its dropping enough to cause a miss if your range estimation is wrong by 10-15 metres. On top of that, the greater affect of wind at those distances, again rf, are essential for correct adjustment of drums. IMO

In short it takes the guesswork out, which I think is better as it results in accurate shot placement, more times than not.