Bitza Or Cross??

Guest AngelicAcid

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fekin hate that word bitza to describe lurcher to lurcher bred dogs by that self opiniated bullshitter plummer all those years ago in his method to boost sales for his mates first cross and 3 quarte

Bitza's can always be a gamble, but know the parents and preff further back too and if they all do what you need then that could be the dog for you.

Proven parents, grand parents is more important to me.

LUCHER TO LUCHER FOR ME BUT THINK THAT FURTHER DOWN THE LINE YOU HAVE PUT A FULL BREED IN THE MIX TO THIN DOWN THE LUCHER IN YOUR RUNNING DOG IMO

why exactly? not saying I think that's wrong, just don't understand why you think that's necessary.....why does the lurcher in your running dog need thinning down??? it's kind of implying that you can have too much good breeding in a dog, I don't get it.

• Like 3

LUCHER TO LUCHER FOR ME BUT THINK THAT FURTHER DOWN THE LINE YOU HAVE PUT A FULL BREED IN THE MIX TO THIN DOWN THE LUCHER IN YOUR RUNNING DOG IMO

why exactly? not saying I think that's wrong, just don't understand why you think that's necessary.....why does the lurcher in your running dog need thinning down??? it's kind of implying that you can have too much good breeding in a dog, I don't get it.

the problem after a while is litter spread :yes: so get so much variation in size, so a greyhound mating is needed for a bit of stabilisation :thumbs:
  • Like 1

the problem after a while is litter spread :yes: so get so much variation in size, so a greyhound mating is needed for a bit of stabilisation :thumbs:

Thats wat i thought with the collie/grey x grey/beddys i bred together for years but i produced better lurchers by going back to a sighthound lurcher i.e a f1x saluki/grey rather than a pure grey.
  • Like 1

You don't necessarily get a wide variation in size. I know a few lurcher lines where the type and size is pretty regular. By breeding from similar size and type parents down through the years it is possible to get a very standardized (not the right word but I can't think of another) type of lurcher. Even when I did a crazy mating of a 23" coursing dog over a 28" Deer/Grey, the pups came out pretty even. Next generation down even more even. As long as the pups have the right conformation and attitude, an inch in height either way is to be expected and not a problem at all. Even pure breeds have variation in size.

If you're using mainly sighthound: Deer,Grey, Saluki, they are much of a size anyway, and its only if you start adding something much smaller such as Whippet or terrier that you get a lot of size variation.

Edited by skycat

You don't necessarily get a wide variation in size. I know a few lurcher lines where the type and size is pretty regular. By breeding from similar size and type parents down through the years it is possible to get a very standardized (not the right word but I can't think of another) type of lurcher. Even when I did a crazy mating of a 23" coursing dog over a 28" Deer/Grey, the pups came out pretty even. Next generation down even more even. As long as the pups have the right conformation and attitude, an inch in height either way is to be expected and not a problem at all. Even pure breeds have variation in size.

have not found that here the last litter i bred,i did as poacher3161 said and used a 3/4 cross the resulting pups varied between 26 down to 21tts

OK, I've not had the experience of breeding a line from scratch, starting with pure breeds. The rough line I got into 25 years ago had already been lurcher to lurcher bred for umpteen generations when I got my first pup from that line, so I'd imagine that the type, through careful breeding, had already stabilized to more or less how I've kept it since then.

I can understand that there would be a lot more size variation if you started with two first crosses where their parents were of very different sizes.

Edited by skycat

OK, I've not had the experience of breeding a line from scratch, starting with pure breeds. The rough line I got into 25 years ago had already been lurcher to lurcher bred for umpteen generations when I got my first pup from that line, so I'd imagine that the type, through careful breeding, had already stabilized to more or less how I've kept it since then.

I can understand that there would be a lot more size variation if you started with two first crosses where their parents were of very different sizes.

dont get me wrong most were between 24 and 26 which is what i would normally expect but 2 from 8 were small, obviously threw towards the whippit in the bitch, the problem now is ive got to breed again this year as my youngest dog here has just turned 4, do i put him across his auntie and breed true to line or outcross to pure or 3/4 cross as poacher says?

dont get me wrong most were between 24 and 26 which is what i would normally expect but 2 from 8 were small, obviously threw towards the whippit in the bitch, the problem now is ive got to breed again this year as my youngest dog here has just turned 4, do i put him across his auntie and breed true to line or outcross to pure or 3/4 cross as poacher says?

Or you could put his sire back to a 3/4 and have a pup out of that .........(I was all ways under the imprssion if you got a dog worth breeding of that`s at the top of his game :hmm: go back to his sire) :yes: ....And as you have him in your yard it should be your first choice ..... if thats what you want in your next dog .........but if the son is better then the sire :hmm: then put him back to the aunt if she is his sire`s equal that is :hmm: if not its just a wast of time and effert on the dogs part ........ or just go and get a pup from MM who you had flash of in the first place 8 years is a long time and thay may look a world away from 8 year ago and and the hight dont look a prb so flash`s line will have been bettered and bred off approven a bitch.... :yes: as long as the dog you end up with is better than what you have got it has to be worth a go.....

ive been asked a few times to put my dog over a few bitch`s but have allways said if that`s the dog your looking for use his sire .....but its all about the dog with me not the cash not a go at you just breeders in gen .....as you can only water the magic down so far then its gone........ :yes: atb x38 :thumbs:

Or you could put his sire back to a 3/4 and have a pup out of that .........(I was all ways under the imprssion if you got a dog worth breeding of that`s at the top of his game :hmm: go back to his sire) :yes: ....And as you have him in your yard it should be your first choice ..... if thats what you want in your next dog .........but if the son is better then the sire :hmm: then put him back to the aunt if she is his sire`s equal that is :hmm: if not its just a wast of time and effert on the dogs part ........ or just go and get a pup from MM who you had flash of in the first place 8 years is a long time and thay may look a world away from 8 year ago and and the hight dont look a prb so flash`s line will have been bettered and bred off approven a bitch.... :yes: as long as the dog you end up with is better than what you have got it has to be worth a go.....

ive been asked a few times to put my dog over a few bitch`s but have allways said if that`s the dog your looking for use his sire .....but its all about the dog with me not the cash not a go at you just breeders in gen .....as you can only water the magic down so far then its gone........ :yes: atb x38 :thumbs:

you have chosen the 'ignore your internet stalker button' all post will be directed to an appropriate advisor :laugh:

Agree. Most dogs which are fast enough will catch rabbits, but to have that second sense, instinct, timing, drive, along with all the other things such as great feet, eye to mouth coordination, and what to me is an inherited knowledge of prey........well it makes sense to get a dog whose ancestors having been doing the same over many generations. I know that many won't agree, and I have had specific crosses (Collie Greyhounds, 1/4 Collie, 3/4 Grey) and one was absolutely brilliant. I suppose you could call my Airedale lurchers first crosses of a kind, even though the sire isn't a pure bred, the dam is, but working bred from dogs doing it in the field has to be the deciding factor.

bitza but you need to clean the blood out now and then so throw a clean blood in :thumbs:

I'm with all three of these posts..ATB Andy. :victory:

Why not out cross to another lurcher line, one which throws consistent size and type? As long as the line are of the type you want, and are working in the way you like and which would compliment your own line I would think that would be the way to go. Look at the coursing lines: good hare dogs have been bred in this way for many years.

People used to say that a pure Greyhound should be put into the line every so many years. I've not found this to be necessary at all. As long as both lines have enough speed why add even more?

• Like 2

I'd agree with both Skycat and Poach, in that a purebred sighthound would be my last choice, simply to increase size and speed, unless I knew of a purebred that was every bit as good as a sighthound saturated lurcher in the field. :yes:

X38 is also right, in that if you know of a dog that is that good that you want to use it... Then look to it's Sire first, if its still around. :yes:

:thumbs:

• Like 2
OK, I've not had the experience of breeding a line from scratch, starting with pure breeds. The rough line I got into 25 years ago had already been lurcher to lurcher bred for umpteen generations when I got my first pup from that line, so I'd imagine that the type, through careful breeding, had already stabilized to more or less how I've kept it since then. I can understand that there would be a lot more size variation if you started with two first crosses where their parents were of very different sizes.
Or you could put his sire back to a 3/4 and have a pup out of that .........(I was all ways under the imprssion if you got a dog worth breeding of that`s at the top of his game :hmm: go back to his sire) :yes: ....And as you have him in your yard it should be your first choice ..... if thats what you want in your next dog .........but if the son is better then the sire :hmm: then put him back to the aunt if she is his sire`s equal that is :hmm: if not its just a wast of time and effert on the dogs part ........ or just go and get a pup from MM who you had flash of in the first place 8 years is a long time and thay may look a world away from 8 year ago and and the hight dont look a prb so flash`s line will have been bettered and bred off approven a bitch.... :yes: as long as the dog you end up with is better than what you have got it has to be worth a go..... ive been asked a few times to put my dog over a few bitch`s but have allways said if that`s the dog your looking for use his sire .....but its all about the dog with me not the cash not a go at you just breeders in gen .....as you can only water the magic down so far then its gone........ :yes: atb x38 :thumbs:
you have chosen the 'ignore your internet stalker button' all post will be directed to an appropriate advisor :laugh:
thought so :laugh: .......loved the breed true to line bit you bread from what you had in your yard at the time :laugh: