rabbit dogs..

I would put a bit of bull, into my dogs if it ran well..

I would rather use 3/4 grey 1/4 bull than go to a pure grey..

What would be better on rabbits?? The 3/4 for sure...

Its no great shakes catching a few rabbits, better having a all rounder you get more options depending which country your running of course.

I like a mixed bag when i go out..

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of this "I wouldn't breed off a failed fox/deer dog that was shit hot on rabbits" stems from some lads, not all, looking down on lads who just hunt bunnies.   In the lurcher world the rabbitin

Heres my young bitch who I would describe as a out and out "rabbit" dog, would I breed her to another "rabbit" dog? If I thought it was going to improve my stock then yes of course I would, after all

But why would you want to use a failed Bull x as a stud for rabbiting dogs ? Surely it's better to use proven rabbiting stock........or am I reading the question wrong ? Cheers

Posted Images

Surely you breed the best to the best! If the best happens to a failed fox dog or failed hare dog or whatever is that really important? Of course in an ideal breeding both parents would come from a long line of proven workers all doing the job on rabbits but are you all saying you would turn down the best rabbit dog out there as a sire just because it wasnt bred to be a rabbit dog???? Good breeding aint that common never mind the 'perfect breeding'.

• Like 2

i use to use the mother to havoc on rabbits she was very good on them hoover you a bag full every nite :thumbs: and she was a first x

you used her for rabbits fair enough, but was she a failed dog at what she was bred for?

far from it but not all bull x are failed fox dogs and would you use bull in to get a rabbit dog yes it adds a little bit more want :thumbs:

Are you talking about Marley?

I like bull in my dogs but would never inject it from bulls that have failed at what they were bred for.

yes before sb got her :thumbs:

Surely you breed the best to the best! If the best happens to a failed fox dog or failed hare dog or whatever is that really important? Of course in an ideal breeding both parents would come from a long line of proven workers all doing the job on rabbits but are you all saying you would turn down the best rabbit dog out there as a sire just because it wasnt bred to be a rabbit dog???? Good breeding aint that common never mind the 'perfect breeding'.

How can "the best happen to be a failed fox dog " ?? If it failed at what it ws bred for, but happens to catch rabbits, then it can't be the best ! If I wanted to breed from a very good rabbiting bitch, and rabbits were going to be the pups main quarry; then why on earth use a stud that failed at what it was bred for, when there are any amount of very good rabbit dog studs out there ? It just doesn't make any sense to me !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 3

How can "the best happen to be a failed fox dog " ?? If it failed at what it ws bred for, but happens to catch rabbits, then it can't be the best !

"The Best" The best a what job catching a few rabbits.

A failed coursing dog and bull crosses could be better.. One mans shite and that...

My Friend has a dog bred out of "wolf" never made it on the fenn as a daytime dog. It smashes hares up here and takes a hell of a haul of mixed quarry on the lamp.. Pre ban of course.

Put many a out and out rabbit dog to shame.

I would have a line of that.. Its got height,stamina.big long back. First time killer strike.

Half the folk on here are clueless, I would not even feed half the shit they keep..

• Like 1

Half the folk on here are clueless, I would not even feed half the shit they keep..

Those are strong words.

Your dogs are bred for a particular job right? to fill the bag at night if Iam correct.

If one failed but was handy for marking warrens with rabbits at home, Would you breed from it?

so if someone bred a litter of rabbit dogs say collie/whip/grey & one

turned out to be be a top class fox dog but average on rabbits do

you think the fox lads would be botherd that it wasn't an A grade

rabbiter. some dogs don't see fox's as prey end of, so a failed fox

dog doesn't nessercerly lack heart

this bitch gets used as a bunny dog most of the time but dont be fooled into thinking thats all she can do :tongue2: 1/4 bull 3/4 grey x whippet 5 year old start of the season weight and mid season fully fit

Fantastic looking lass :thumbs:

this bitch gets used as a bunny dog most of the time but dont be fooled into thinking thats all she can do :tongue2: 1/4 bull 3/4 grey x whippet 5 year old start of the season weight and mid season fully fit

Fantastic looking lass :thumbs:

thanks mate she does the job :thumbs:

Those are strong words.

Your dogs are bred for a particular job right? to fill the bag at night if Iam correct.

If one failed but was handy for marking warrens with rabbits at home, Would you breed from it?

I personally would not, ferreting is not my thing if it was i would have the right breeding stock.. But again me dog marks and finds game..

however if one of mine jacked or could not cut it I would give it to a boy if he soley ferreted and he was happy with the dog. And when its his dog if he wants to breed let him, I would not buy a pup lol.

One mans stadards or poles apart and depending what you really want to acheive.. Folk should be honest about themselfs and there dogs...

Folk blow smoke up there own dogs arses and they are at best average.

There will be proven 100% single handed fox dogs not worth a carrot on rabbits mabie to heavy lack the wind to run all night, and again there will be 100% jackers on fox that are dynmite on fast land on hard rabbits that some little whippet types would not contend with.

If folk that concerned about not having the best?? Why would they entertian a first cross off unproven parents??

If a dog was of any breeding and was hoover rabbits up for fun but it cocked on a fox or deer I would still kennel it..

How can "the best happen to be a failed fox dog " ?? If it failed at what it ws bred for, but happens to catch rabbits, then it can't be the best ! If I wanted to breed from a very good rabbiting bitch, and rabbits were going to be the pups main quarry; then why on earth use a stud that failed at what it was bred for, when there are any amount of very good rabbit dog studs out there ? It just doesn't make any sense to me !

Cheers.

Why..... If it happened to be shit hot at rabbiting and was the best stud you had available then why not? I never said it was likely that the best would be a failed fox or hare dog but it would'nt be the first time a dog bred for a specific job failed at it but excelled at another. Are you saying that if you were looking for a rabbit dog stud and the best dog you saw work turned out to be bred from a line of hare dogs but this dog just lacked something to be a regular hare killer you would turn that down? Or likewise with a sire bred for fox but jacked on them?