New Hunter after some advise on Rabbit hunting

Hi Guys,

I've recently got some permission with my dad on some fields where he works, and were looking to take the air rifle down to try our luck on some rabbits.

ive only got a relativly cheap £100ish .22 break action air rifle that i got from a local famer and machene shop then bought a 3x scope and a bipod for it.

I have zero'd it in and have had a few pidgeons and magpies with it at 20-30 yard in the garden.

i feel pretty confident that i could get a humane shot on a rabbit and have been practasing most nights after work.

so really my question is what technique should i using when hunting rabbit with an air rifle should i stay in one spot and wait them out near a burrow or stalk them near the hedgeline?

ive been over the fields taking the dog a walk n there are plenty of signs they are about but i am yet to see one in the day, so my second question is should i purchase a hand held lamp or rifle mounted lamp as i cant afford a gen1 NV scope at the moment as the chances are i will be going out at night after them.

Thanks in advance!

samperks

Hi Sam,

Both your techniques will work very well mate, its just down to what suits you best (walking or static hunting).

My favourite is static hunting near a feeding area or warren off a bipod.

For night time lamping a rifle mounted lamp and red filter works very well if you’re on your own. If you’re with a partner then a hand held lamp and red filter is best. One shooting and one lamping.

Remember the lamp doesn’t need to be very bright. It s a mistake many lads do and try and get a really powerful lamp for rabbit shooting with an air rifle.

When me and my shooting partners go out I use a Deben Tracer Max lamp and red filter. The lamp as a dimmer switch fitted and I have it turned down so low that I can just see the rabbit and cross hairs through the scope. This way the rabbits sit better and don’t get so spooked by the light.

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

Hi Sam,

Both your techniques will work very well mate, its just down to what suits you best (walking or static hunting).

My favourite is static hunting near a feeding area or warren off a bipod.

For night time lamping a rifle mounted lamp and red filter works very well if you’re on your own. If you’re with a partner then a hand held lamp and red filter is best. One shooting and one lamping.

Remember the lamp doesn’t need to be very bright. It s a mistake many lads do and try and get a really powerful lamp for rabbit shooting with an air rifle.

When me and my shooting partners go out I use a Deben Tracer Max lamp and red filter. The lamp as a dimmer switch fitted and I have it turned down so low that I can just see the rabbit and cross hairs through the scope. This way the rabbits sit better and don’t get so spooked by the light.

Si.

Much appreciated Mate!

Like you say i had got it in my head the brighter the light the better, glad to have that cleared up i guess ill be on Ebay tonight then looking for one with a dimmer :)

my girlfriends dad has got a Coalmans lamp but wont let me use it as he said they dont make them any more but ive been reading some good reviews about "Deben" and "Lightforce"

any opinions on getting a silencer? and also is the red filter better for eye shine?

Thanks again and sorry about all the questions :)

also get used to shooting at different ranges on your land in the day then when you go out at night you should be able to judge the distance better

Thats a point as ive just been shooting from the one position while practiasing at home on the targets

Also always try to be downwind of warren's/feeding area's....wear no deoderant/aftershave and dont let ya wife wash ya bloody camo's in gay smelling washing powders(found that out lol)

As has been said Bipod no good for a springer two way recoil just dont work with them..with static shooting i leave rabbit wear it drops as other rabbits are used to seeing other dead bunnies...when they refuse to show move on and collect the fallen i prefer myself to keep moving as having shot one i move on to next area and by time i get back usually they out at first location......go there diff time of the day to sus out thier habbit's....they may well be daytime bunnies lol

Most of all mate enjoy and keep it clean :thumbs:

Also make sure you rifle is up to it mate...bunnies have harder heads that corvids/pigeons

Edited by StevoSmith
  • Like 1

Also always try to be downwind of warren's/feeding area's....wear no deoderant/aftershave and dont let ya wife wash ya bloody camo's in gay smelling washing powders(found that out lol)

As has been said Bipod no good for a springer two way recoil just dont work with them..with static shooting i leave rabbit wear it drops as other rabbits are used to seeing other dead bunnies...when they refuse to show move on and collect the fallen i prefer myself to keep moving as having shot one i move on to next area and by time i get back usually they out at first location......go there diff time of the day to sus out thier habbit's....they may well be daytime bunnies lol

Most of all mate enjoy and keep it clean :thumbs:

Also make sure you rifle is up to it mate...bunnies have harder heads that corvids/pigeons

Brilliant advice ill make sure my camo's n jacket are well broken in then :)

so you reckon dont use the bipod? i have another .22 gas air rifle but i dont think its as powerfull (or atleast doesnt feel it)

Where in Wolves you shooting Sam?

hopefully its at ++++++++++++ where my dad works, the game keeper said it would be okay just got to let security know before hand and my dad needs to take his staff badge and hopefully my girlfriends dad has got some permission to do some beating at enville estate but i dont know if hes just blowing smoke lol

thanks again for all the responses guys ill post a pic of my first bunny :D

need a lamp first though :| ebay it is

Edited by samperks

Something else to consider sam, you might want to learn to shoot from a kneeling position (if you don't already know)as you don't always get the time to set up prone if youre walking on the lamp mate.

If youre shooting a springer prone, then use a knapsack to rest your leading arm on, it'll work as well as a bipod but you won't get the recoil issues as already stated.

If I'm going out with a pal lamping then we use a powerful light force type lamp, cos it can make them squat. If I'm on my own I use something like a tracer with a red or orange filter.

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on.

Cheers, wurz

Oh yeah, your gas gun will seem less powerful because it won't recoil, try firing both guns into a yellow pages and seeing which hits harder, or better still, run them through a chronograph to get am accurate reading of what they're doing.

Good to see your willing to ask Questions Sam :thumbs: ..Lots of real top hunters on this forum and all advice from these guys is sound.....Just make sure rifle is powerful enough first mate as a wounded rabbit which squels is suffering and also sends every other rabbit within 200yds funning for cover and you dont want either mate....As for your camo's buddy i would put them on and go rolling about on the grass lol you might look like a bit of a tool but it works.......and leave them outside(ie shed or outhouse) when finnished wearing them..this way they pick up no household smell like perfumes and air freshners

ATB Steve

No mate forget bipod for springers. Try to shoot from a kneeling position. It will help you out loads, as i got too used to using a bipod on my pcp as its the easy way and decided to give it up and just use kneeling standing etc.

Look how much advice your gettin! This forum is great for advice pal especially the airgunners! I have been on other parts of the forum and different forums and all i got as a reply was 'search the internet' BELL ENDS!

You wont find a better bunch here mate but watch out for Mole ;)

Scott

cheers gurtwurtz thats a quality idea with the yellow pages!

and yeah i have been shooting in the kneeled position aswell as prone but ill have to try the knapsack idea out!

stevosmith - I'm pretty sure the rifle will be powerfull enough to take them out humanely providing i'm close enough if i didnt think it was upto it i dont think id attempt it. i was worried about this for a bit and was thinking of taking the dog with me to retrieve them if they're injured and trying to get back to the burrow as i dont want it suffering but i dont have permission with the dog so im not going to risk it. I'll just wait it and out and only take shots i know will kill.

Thanks again for the advise guys i am taking note honest and it is appreciated :D

might be going there this friday night if not itll be in 2 weeks after that as ive got to go chester for the weekend (some sh*t called Valentines day :| )

anyway ill be sure to post pics and let you all know how it goes even if i get nout!

as for now i guess its just practise practise practise :D