Hard Mouth

all in the retrievin.put barbed wire in the dummy.it wont be bitin down on it then :victory:

:laugh: :laugh: You are the second person I have heard say that, and I think the first person was on drugs, so what are you on..

Are you for real, you want to place barbed wire in the dummy and allow the dog/pup to damage its mouth, this is a sure way of fcuking up ur dogs retrieve, madness,,,, I hope you dont have dogs :censored:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

e.  What the feck is that going to Achieve.It will only stop the Dog Retrieving altogether.Never heard such Bollocks in all my Life

........................Then stick around mate ,this place is full of it

I would say you have your work cut out trying to nip that habbit in the bud...and like stated they could be far worse bad habbit's out there...if possible can you not get the dog in among good number'

ive put reasons in the link above. no one can predict how a dog will react with live quarry. 4 of mine were great live to hand retrievers 1 was a crunched to hand retiever. all trained with care away from distractions started of on their own. in some cases some dogs are naturally hard mouthed from day 1 to the end. seen it with other dogs besides the one i had.

all in the retrievin.put barbed wire in the dummy.it wont be bitin down on it then :victory:

Are you for real, you want to place barbed wire in the dummy and allow the dog/pup to damage its mouth, this is a sure way of fcuking up ur dogs retrieve, madness,,,, I hope you dont have dogs :censored:

:yes: :yes: or another school kid messer, I'm off now as out with the terriers tomorrow :victory:

:yes: :yes: or another school kid messer, I'm off now as out with the terriers tomorrow :victory:

Best of luck Darren, lets know how ya get on

Is there anything you can do about sorting out a dog with a hard mouth?

Now this is where you need to be honest mate.....Did you let the dog fetch sticks and then have a little chew on them, did you or anyone think it was fun to play 'tug' with the dog or when she was a pup did she have any chews with those f*****g squeaks in them?.... :hmm: If so then all these things contribute to a hard mouth dog.... :yes:

Obviously i'm speaking from a Gundog point of view but you could try keeping her on a lead and let her carry something (a dummy if you have one), the minute you see her bite down on it then give her a tap on the nose and a stern 'No!!'. You have to repeat this until you feel she isn't biting down. Then you can extend the lead and try a retrieve......repeat the tap on the nose and 'No' if she bites down. When she no longer bites you can try her of the lead and so on with further retrieves.

Good luck with trying to cure it though, its very difficult and could be very time consuming...... :thumbs:

She had one of those squeaky toys but it got binned within 10 minutes because she was relentlessly squeaking it over and over again. She fetches a ball but if I use a tennis ball she'll split it open straight away, I have to use those proper solid rubber balls cos anything else she just wrecks, she always has done from day 1. If I try what you're suggesting isn't there a chance she might stop picking stuff up to begin with?

The pillock that was on about barbed wire doesn't even warrant a reply!

Now this is where you need to be honest mate.....Did you let the dog fetch sticks and then have a little chew on them, did you or anyone think it was fun to play 'tug' with the dog or when she was a pup did she have any chews with those f*****g squeaks in them?.... :hmm: If so then all these things contribute to a hard mouth dog.... :yes:

Obviously i'm speaking from a Gundog point of view but you could try keeping her on a lead and let her carry something (a dummy if you have one), the minute you see her bite down on it then give her a tap on the nose and a stern 'No!!'. You have to repeat this until you feel she isn't biting down. Then you can extend the lead and try a retrieve......repeat the tap on the nose and 'No' if she bites down. When she no longer bites you can try her of the lead and so on with further retrieves.

Good luck with trying to cure it though, its very difficult and could be very time consuming...... :thumbs:

She had one of those squeaky toys but it got binned within 10 minutes because she was relentlessly squeaking it over and over again. She fetches a ball but if I use a tennis ball she'll split it open straight away, I have to use those proper solid rubber balls cos anything else she just wrecks, she always has done from day 1. If I try what you're suggesting isn't there a chance she might stop picking stuff up to begin with?

It's probably just in her breeding mate. There are far worse things. :thumbs:

It's probably just in her breeding mate. There are far worse things. :thumbs:

yeah it probably is, it's no big deal if there's nothing I can do about it, if I want them for the pot I can just use the ferrets and nets. :thumbs:

I wouldn't think so...her problem isnt retrieving and were not talking about battering her within an inch of her life its just a tap and a no when you see her bite. As i said its a swine of a thing to cure and it is something thats better done gradually as they are growing from a pup. She obviously has a bad crunch if she is splitting balls, instead of stopping that you went down the route of giving her a stronger ball mate which probably made her bite all the harder. We live and learn....... ;)

I mentioned the squeaky toy as the dog gets it into its head that everything it picks up she has to get it to squeak so they bite away until it does.......... :cray: and that just ruins whatever you've sent her for..... :censored:

All you can do is give it a try......think i'd rather train a hard mouthed Lab than a hard mouther Lurcher though....... :D Good luck............ :thumbs:

I was told this by a well respected gun dog trainer!i tried and tested it!dont run down things that ye have never tried!!is everyone gone soft in the hunting world?do ye not hunt foxes?foxes can also damage your dog does that mean ye stop???

I'd rather my dogs get a bit damage off a fox then deliberately inflict pain on it by making it bite barbed wire :nono: I bet the arspca or whatever your version is would have plenty to say about it as well :feck:

I would say you have your work cut out trying to nip that habbit in the bud...and like stated they could be far worse bad habbit's out there...if possible can you not get the dog in among good number's of bunnies..i had a dog a while back that would start the night pretty hard hard mouthed when he was keen and fresh...but as the night went on he would settle down and not smash them up so bad..

On the barbed wire..you could give razor barb ago as that is sharp as fook.. :D

• Like 2

have you even tried it,the skin of the rabbit stops it from even pinching the dog.one bite and they wont go hard on it agian!it be like a pinch on the skin.also a baloon can be put in the rabbit.when it bites down it bursts and gives the dog a fright!

I'd rather put a tin can in than barb wire, the balloon idea is a good one though I'll give you that :yes:

I would say you have your work cut out trying to nip that habbit in the bud...and like stated they could be far worse bad habbit's out there...if possible can you not get the dog in among good number's of bunnies..i had a dog a while back that would start the night pretty hard hard mouthed when he was keen and fresh...but as the night went on he would settle down and not smash them up so bad..

On the barbed wire..you could give razor barb ago as that is sharp as fook.. :D

Would have to disagree with you on that one as a general rule of thumb..

My dogs and others I have seen when getting right into the numbers start getting tired, its easier for them to kill the rabbit and fetch it back rather than kicking a pulling.

My dog fetchs to hand, alive most times however when shes right tired she will just bite the heads and carry them back.

Various levels of ''hard mouthed'' some are ribs like black jelly dog food lol

other would class a hard strike ie bit of brusing off the inital impact.

A lot worst trates to have in a lurcher, i hate a soft mouth dog that drops short and has to chase rabbits multiple times or a blatetant refusal to retrieve.