19 bunny wabbits with footage

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After having had a few ferreting trips out with the lads and the ferrets over the last couple of months, which have only produced a handful of rabbits each time, I thought I would go back to my favour

I agree, and that doesn't just go for hunting, but traditional cooking, traditional music/poems, tarditional stories and such like will all be forgotten if we don't pass them on down the generations.

Great write up and another brilliant video , got a feeling the lad swore under his breath a few times lol, atb

Just watched it again mate, it's very good. Especially like the 'long net - cam' :thumbs:

Aye a wee dog would be handy, i can just imagine the look on your kids faces as their faithful friend scoops up some of those escapees. :whistling::thumbs:

If i had land like that i would be living up there in a tent :laugh: It's the perfect place to spend days bolting them to a good team of dogs :thumbs: A far cry from the tangled jungles, gullys and ditches and rugged mountain sides that we seem to frequent.

I was watching some of those bunnies escaping the nets, and your kids did a good job for those so young, but its amazing how many young uns you see losing rabbits by grabbing the net not the bunny, and either spilling it out, or allowing it to push through the mesh. I was out the other day with a kid and he did exactly that, despite me standing there repeating 'grab the rabbit not the net', over and over :laugh: Also, on reflection (and this is probably not true where you are), so often with us, a rabbit hits the nets and you have to be right on it quick as a flash because of the heavy cover etc, the net rarely purses perfectly, and so many times i have grabbed the rabbit and pretty much got it by the legs or head as its kicking free of the net. That's why dogs for us are so important, probably 80 % or more of the rabbits that we bolt are got to by the dogs before us, and we would lose a lot more than we do without them, without even considering running catches.

I tell our apprentices when it's going to bolt, stand out the way of the mouth of the hole, and then when it bolts grab the bunny what ever way you can and stick your foot in the hole. You can worry about everything else then, because you've covered your bases :thumbs: Oh yer, and don't step on the ferret in the process :laugh:

I dont know why but he seems worried about just grabbing the bunny and not the net.

He has never been bitten by rabbit, ferret, dog or anything.

Hopefully he grows out of it. He has had a couple of bollockings about it, off camera, but on the other hand I dont want to put him off ferreting.

Just watched it again mate, it's very good. Especially like the 'long net - cam' :thumbs:

Aye a wee dog would be handy, i can just imagine the look on your kids faces as their faithful friend scoops up some of those escapees. :whistling::thumbs:

If i had land like that i would be living up there in a tent :laugh: It's the perfect place to spend days bolting them to a good team of dogs :thumbs: A far cry from the tangled jungles, gullys and ditches and rugged mountain sides that we seem to frequent.

I was watching some of those bunnies escaping the nets, and your kids did a good job for those so young, but its amazing how many young uns you see losing rabbits by grabbing the net not the bunny, and either spilling it out, or allowing it to push through the mesh. I was out the other day with a kid and he did exactly that, despite me standing there repeating 'grab the rabbit not the net', over and over :laugh: Also, on reflection (and this is probably not true where you are), so often with us, a rabbit hits the nets and you have to be right on it quick as a flash because of the heavy cover etc, the net rarely purses perfectly, and so many times i have grabbed the rabbit and pretty much got it by the legs or head as its kicking free of the net. That's why dogs for us are so important, probably 80 % or more of the rabbits that we bolt are got to by the dogs before us, and we would lose a lot more than we do without them, without even considering running catches.

I tell our apprentices when it's going to bolt, stand out the way of the mouth of the hole, and then when it bolts grab the bunny what ever way you can and stick your foot in the hole. You can worry about everything else then, because you've covered your bases :thumbs: Oh yer, and don't step on the ferret in the process :laugh:

I dont know why but he seems worried about just grabbing the bunny and not the net.

He has never been bitten by rabbit, ferret, dog or anything.

Hopefully he grows out of it. He has had a couple of bollockings about it, off camera, but on the other hand I dont want to put him off ferreting.

He'll learn mate, at the end of the day, the best teacher will be the rabbits that he loses :thumbs: I'd say he is doing very well for his age :yes:

It's great to see youngsters showing a keen interest and getting involved.

Brilliant video, tell the lads to keep up the good work! :good:

good vid,thats whats it all about,getting the kids involved,keeps them concentrating not netting all the holes,makes a bit more exiting for them.

Thanks. Its great to see so many people realise that the kids of today are the hunters of tommorrow.

I for one think it is really important not to breed that instinct out of a bloodline.

• Like 1

good vid,thats whats it all about,getting the kids involved,keeps them concentrating not netting all the holes,makes a bit more exiting for them.

Thanks. Its great to see so many people realise that the kids of today are the hunters of tommorrow.

I for one think it is really important not to breed that instinct out of a bloodline.

I agree, and that doesn't just go for hunting, but traditional cooking, traditional music/poems, tarditional stories and such like will all be forgotten if we don't pass them on down the generations. It's up to us that hundreds of years of culture are kept and passed onto the next generation for them to enjoy and experience.

It's sad to say but even local dialects and in some real bad cases accents have even changed in a lot of areas of our country :no: , Terrible.

• Like 2

I agree, and that doesn't just go for hunting, but traditional cooking, traditional music/poems, tarditional stories and such like will all be forgotten if we don't pass them on down the generations. It's up to us that hundreds of years of culture are kept and passed onto the next generation for them to enjoy and experience.

It's sad to say but even local dialects and in some real bad cases accents have even changed in a lot of areas of our country :no: , Terrible.

Bang On.

Hunt sing songs are big up our way. A right good get together in the pub with some oldy woldy hunting songs being sung. They may not be everybodies cup of tea, but if the tradition continues, people can make their own minds up.

You've seen my two lads on the vid, they are only 8 and 10, but it makes me chuckle when they come up to me with a way of catching something with a home made trap, and I look at them gobsmacked, because it will be a brill idea based on a traditional designed trap, but I know they have had no previous knowledge of it.

I am sure hunting and instinct in general does run in the blood.

I wold never make my lads do things because I want them to do it, but certainly at the minute, they hunt because they want to.

• Like 1