Gunnar, my new pup.

Just a quick update on young Gunnar. He's come on a treat and is a great dog to own. Very...Saluki like with his temprament and attitude, so basically huffy when he gets wrong :-). Hoping to get him out and about this season, had a couple of offers for days/nights out so hopefully he'll do well. Seems pretty keen so touch wood.

536111_4121219352975_17387530_n.jpg

319771_4121227193171_2021337126_n.jpg

522888_4121337315924_562512339_n.jpg

390793_4561361436252_248658020_n.jpg

553804_4552051003497_1935006866_n.jpg

387081_4521182951815_1802394985_n.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Gunnar had his first night on the lamp last weekend. Mixed attempt, but at least he showed some promise. Nothing that a bit of work can't sort out.

He's a bad traveller and a bit of a wimp (Saluki trait) so wasn't happy about the long car journey with two other more dominant bitches so that wasn't a great start.

He watched 2 slips and we brought the rabbits back for him to smell and rag on but he didn't seem interested at all. On the third one of the lads suggested slipping him to see if he would double up or show interest...slipped him and nothing...for about 3 seconds and then off he went like the clappers, Other dog nailed the kill but Gunner ran her all the way and I'm sure didn't make the strike from inexperience only.

He took a while to come back which isn't like him at all but he was excited. So we decided to try him alone and slipped him on the next one. He knew straight away to follow the beam and he destroyed the rabbit for pace, turning him off the walls but again no strike and the rabbit, after a long course ducked into a wall. Got him back to watch another couple of runs with the other dogs and brought the rabbits back again for him to smell etc.

Next run to Gunner and he was on the rabbit like a shot again easily outpacing it again failing to strike for a while and then he did. Took the bunny pretty soft mouthed. This is where he went to pot as he wouldn't retrieve and kept running off with the rabbit when I tried to get him back on the leash. Took a good while to get him back. The lads reckon it's just puppy excitedness etc, but once I did get him back I decieded to keep him on the leash after that so not to spoil anyone else's fun.

He watched every course with intent though so hopefully with a bit more work and maybe only one other or alone he may get a confidence boost to strike and not be so nervous.

I'm still very proud of him as he is my first lurcher and he shows huge potential if we can sort out his little issues. The other lads commented on his pace etc so he must be decent, just need to work on his nerves as I think that was the main issue last night.

479946_4704494334485_1205076959_n.jpg

just take your time with him get out on your own with the lamp get a good understanding between you and dog loads of one on one he will get confident with time still a young dog he as turned out a nice sort hope it all comes right for you atb troter

Alright it's not "wimpy", but you know how they get...all moody and shit :laugh: .

He had a right face on after the drive up.

I know he's still young and he clearly knows what to do, just need some time and patience. It's not like he didn't have a go and he did get one on his first night out.