Old bull grey pictures, 1848!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And a ped where you can see where bull was added.  

To be honest I have no direct references, other than what I have been told from greyhound men in the past, lad's who have ran unlicenced. Lets face it, if Lord Orford used a bulldog outcross in the 18

FFS mate get rid of the Picture of the pedigree, theyre will be clowns on here claiming their dogs go back to this stuff before you know it.....................

A downloadable copy, looks cheap enough. If you want the real thing here is a link http://www.abebooks....x%3D44%26y%3D10

Stonehenge AKA J H Walsh penned a few books as he was editor for the 'Field' magazine.

It's a book for people interested in all breeds of dogs, but Stonhendges passion was sporting and hunting dogs so more detail is made to these types.

Edited by Sirius

I can't remember what year it was Lord Orford started to put the bull in, but this is dated 1882, so could it be the same Lord Stradbroke who has a dog ("Mouche") in the pedigree posted above?

Stradbroke.jpg

It says:

"Henham, October 27 1882

Sir,

I am exceeding sorry to hear that one of my greyhounds killed a sheep belonging to you this day.

If you will tell me the value of the sheep, I shall be very ready to pay it, and I am:

Yours etc

Stradbroke"

Oops.

Edited by Fabapocalypse

the greyhound men have been doing it for years and all those first and second crosses would have been used as lurchers. N

Bosun

What other breeders added Bulldog? How do you know they were used as Lurchers? Have you any reference of this??

And the Bulldog they are refering to I suspect is closer to a PB its just refered to as a bulldog ;)

To be honest I have no direct references, other than what I have been told from greyhound men in the past, lad's who have ran unlicenced. Lets face it, if Lord Orford used a bulldog outcross in the 1800's with excellent results, would some others after not follow and try it for themselves?

As for being used as lurchers, why not, it'd be no different than when whippet racers have used greyhound blood and given away the bigger pups, thats how I came by my first lurcher (or grew). Look to Walsh's Poachers Companion, that book tells of Bulldog crosses, I would guess not from direct lurcher production.

Like I said, no direct references, simply an informed guess and a great big hunch.

And i'd agree with you Sirius, the bulldog blood from 1848, would be much nearer the PB. ;)

Interesting quote from an article written on Orford's bulldog crosses

Since the supposed experiment of Lord Orford, which was regarded as a success, others

have experimented with the bulldog cross, and the prevalent opinion is that the produce

has a tendency to run by nose. It is certainly a known fact, that the sense of smelling of a

bulldog is exquisite, and that the breed of dogs here spoken of are easier brought to

perfection for the midnight purposes of the poacher in driving hares to net than any other

canine species

George Walpole (3rd Lord Orford) died in 1791 so his bulldog crosses would have been way before those books were written

41cd039c.jpg

0967eec6.jpg

c948e2d1.jpg

And a ped where you can see where bull was added.

99d044f7.jpg

FFS mate get rid of the Picture of the pedigree, theyre will be clowns on here claiming their dogs go back to this stuff before you know it..................... :yes:

I think my bitch hose back to these lines and am sure my mTes dog as bull x out of the same line I can feel a litter of pups coming lollollol

the greyhound men have been doing it for years and all those first and second crosses would have been used as lurchers. N

Bosun

What other breeders added Bulldog? How do you know they were used as Lurchers? Have you any reference of this??

And the Bulldog they are refering to I suspect is closer to a PB its just refered to as a bulldog ;)

To be honest I have no direct references, other than what I have been told from greyhound men in the past, lad's who have ran unlicenced. Lets face it, if Lord Orford used a bulldog outcross in the 1800's with excellent results, would some others after not follow and try it for themselves?

As for being used as lurchers, why not, it'd be no different than when whippet racers have used greyhound blood and given away the bigger pups, thats how I came by my first lurcher (or grew). Look to Walsh's Poachers Companion, that book tells of Bulldog crosses, I would guess not from direct lurcher production.

Like I said, no direct references, simply an informed guess and a great big hunch.

And i'd agree with you Sirius, the bulldog blood from 1848, would be much nearer the PB. ;)

Interesting quote from an article written on Orford's bulldog crosses

Since the supposed experiment of Lord Orford, which was regarded as a success, others

have experimented with the bulldog cross, and the prevalent opinion is that the produce

has a tendency to run by nose. It is certainly a known fact, that the sense of smelling of a

bulldog is exquisite, and that the breed of dogs here spoken of are easier brought to

perfection for the midnight purposes of the poacher in driving hares to net than any other

canine species

George Walpole (3rd Lord Orford) died in 1791 so his bulldog crosses would have been way before those books were written

:victory: