ADVICE PLEASE

HI ALL. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THE RIGHT ADVICE, IVE WORKED TERRIERS ON FOX [ DIGGING] FOR 35YRS AND ALWAYS DISPATCHED THEM AT THE END OF THE DIG WITH 410, I HAVE JUST BIN ASKED TO DO FOX CONTROLE ON A VERY LARGE ESTATE TOO MUCH LAND TO COVER WITH JUST TERRIER WORK, I HAVE NOW OBTAINED MY FAC, THE QUESTION ISWHAT IS THE BEST CALLIBRE RIFFLE I SHOULD BE BUYING TO USE FOR FOX ONLY PREDATION. THE LAND IS PASSED FOR THE 243, BUT WONDERING IF THE .17 WOULD BE MORE SUITED TO FOX [ONLY]. YIS ALLI.

Depends on the size of the fields in my opinion. Had a .17 hmr sako with a 3x9x40 burris scope,very good little rifle shot alot of foxes with it and never had one do a runner. Got granted a .243 on my ticket so thinking this was the business bought a browning x bolt and sold the sako. Now having been out a dozen or so times with it im really missing the smaller rifle,yes they don't move once the bullets hit home but im finding im having to leave shooting so many because it wouldn't be a safe enough shot with it having so much power whereas with the .17 i wouldn't have doubted it. squeaked one in the other night too about 15 yards but on a little brow and knew the bullet would go in one side and out the other so left it yet the .17 would have finished the job nicely but all this just my own opinion.

Depends on the size of the fields in my opinion. Had a .17 hmr sako with a 3x9x40 burris scope,very good little rifle shot alot of foxes with it and never had one do a runner. Got granted a .243 on my ticket so thinking this was the business bought a browning x bolt and sold the sako. Now having been out a dozen or so times with it im really missing the smaller rifle,yes they don't move once the bullets hit home but im finding im having to leave shooting so many because it wouldn't be a safe enough shot with it having so much power whereas with the .17 i wouldn't have doubted it. squeaked one in the other night too about 15 yards but on a little brow and knew the bullet would go in one side and out the other so left it yet the .17 would have finished the job nicely but all this just my own opinion.

There is no sure fire way of saying any bullet no matter how small it is or what type will not go through what you are shooting at or even if you've unwittingly knocked the scope and miss, the round will go careering over the hill.

If its not a safe shot with a .243 then its not a safe shot with a .17

Its the same as the argument that a .17HMR is better than a .22LR for shooting flat ground because it doesn't ricochet. I can assure you it does even with ballistic tipped rounds.

To answer the OP, any of the .17 or .22 centrefires as mentioned above are perfectly fine. Perhaps a .243 may open up more options for you in future should you gain any Deer permission though :thumbs:

There is no sure fire way of saying any bullet no matter how small it is or what type will not go through what you are shooting at or even if you've unwittingly knocked the scope and miss, the round will go careering over the hill.

If its not a safe shot with a .243 then its not a safe shot with a .17

Its the same as the argument that a .17HMR is better than a .22LR for shooting flat ground because it doesn't ricochet.

Very sensible reply :thumbs: , and something that should always be in every shooters mind.

Edited by kenny14

I use a 222 which is fine but as has been said, if the land is cleared for 243 then I would give it some serious consideration as you may get the opportunity to use it on deer on the estate later. This would save you the cost of having two rifles. If you are getting the 243 it would be worth getting deer put on your FAC from the start. What have you got on your FAC already?