pet breeders and show dogs and hancocks

good post birddog,,,,bloody hell lol u dont hold back lol,,,,,mind tell yer son back end off season ,,,match is on deerhound x greyhound ,,,matches 3/8 whip x 5/8 grey ,,match lol and who ever wins it dont matter as it doesnt at the end off the day

sorry i had to break the news to you on the hardbloods future in scotland,,,,,but unfurtuntly,,,,,the old guys are looking as there retiring after 20/40 years,,,and it looks in OUR LIFE TIME :icon_eek: hardbloods will be a thing off the past north off ediburgh,,,,,i think and i only say think as eastaryshire club races alot in england will keep going :thumbs:

p,s guy not saying kirkcaldy is folded,,,,its a club thats cash rich,,,,but plls get older and young ones dont want dogs ,they want xboxes,,,,it will be a sad day in scotland when it happens,,,but i aint stupid,,,it will happen in my life time,,,,sad day for scotland,,,,,some off the finest whip/greys came from the hardblood breeding program :thumbs:

Bob, I was racing Non-Peds in the 60's & 70's, and still go along to watch now; but your'e right, and it's not just in Scotland.... to see handicaps here in the North East of England with only 6 to 12 dogs is a shame. In the old days it was a magnificent acheivment to win a R.Ch, there was that many dogs ! But now, it's fair to say some get their R.Ch's on a bye !! I ran at the Rising Sun in The British Open Championship, and there would be well over 100 dogs; running a heat, quarter final , semi final and final to get amongst the winners, but at Cambois Open a few days ago, some classes were empty, others only had one dog !! Whats the answer ? I don't know... you're right, the young'uns aren't interested, and even for people like me,it's a "Catch 22"; I'd have a Non-Ped Racer if there was more places to race.... but if no one gets into it, it will only get worse !! It will be a shame if Whippet Racing dies out, as they have a lot to add to Lurcher breeding.

Cheers.

i'm not as old as you but i can remember having three runs at ne opens just to win your class, i agree with you and spoke to bob today about it if there was more racing i'd have one again, don't know the answer but maybe too many rules for folk now

cheers

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought a Vaxhall Viva once, i wouldn't buy one now though.

So does j darcy blind the young people with his books?????

you goona write a book whin ?

scratch dogs now then blue boy running god knows how far behind scratch , bandit ddoing the same ,rip mr tom bullock takes his cap and here he comes like the bloody london express toi pip a very good dog in to second seen this time and time again thgey sure knew where that line was .i canremember when they did away with the strings to go to lure racing some dogs lose yds if they come across for the lure .MMMM OLD DAYS but good ones nice to reminis atb bunnys.

scratch dogs now then blue boy running god knows how far behind scratch , bandit ddoing the same ,rip mr tom bullock takes his cap and here he comes like the bloody london express toi pip a very good dog in to second seen this time and time again thgey sure knew where that line was .i canremember when they did away with the strings to go to lure racing some dogs lose yds if they come across for the lure .MMMM OLD DAYS but good ones nice to reminis atb bunnys.

getting this back to topic, these non working dogs, showed intelligence knowing where the line was and their fire and determination is well known, some of the dogs youve mentioned were bred into lines of lurcher does this make them any the less for their non working background

good post birddog,,,,bloody hell lol u dont hold back lol,,,,,mind tell yer son back end off season ,,,match is on deerhound x greyhound ,,,matches 3/8 whip x 5/8 grey ,,match lol and who ever wins it dont matter as it doesnt at the end off the day

sorry i had to break the news to you on the hardbloods future in scotland,,,,,but unfurtuntly,,,,,the old guys are looking as there retiring after 20/40 years,,,and it looks in OUR LIFE TIME :icon_eek: hardbloods will be a thing off the past north off ediburgh,,,,,i think and i only say think as eastaryshire club races alot in england will keep going :thumbs:

p,s guy not saying kirkcaldy is folded,,,,its a club thats cash rich,,,,but plls get older and young ones dont want dogs ,they want xboxes,,,,it will be a sad day in scotland when it happens,,,but i aint stupid,,,it will happen in my life time,,,,sad day for scotland,,,,,some off the finest whip/greys came from the hardblood breeding program :thumbs:

Bob, I was racing Non-Peds in the 60's & 70's, and still go along to watch now; but your'e right, and it's not just in Scotland.... to see handicaps here in the North East of England with only 6 to 12 dogs is a shame. In the old days it was a magnificent acheivment to win a R.Ch, there was that many dogs ! But now, it's fair to say some get their R.Ch's on a bye !! I ran at the Rising Sun in The British Open Championship, and there would be well over 100 dogs; running a heat, quarter final , semi final and final to get amongst the winners, but at Cambois Open a few days ago, some classes were empty, others only had one dog !! Whats the answer ? I don't know... you're right, the young'uns aren't interested, and even for people like me,it's a "Catch 22"; I'd have a Non-Ped Racer if there was more places to race.... but if no one gets into it, it will only get worse !! It will be a shame if Whippet Racing dies out, as they have a lot to add to Lurcher breeding.

Cheers.

its true rich,,,,even in birddogs day ,,,they were the haydays,,,,for champs

when i got back to racing hence ,,,being gamekeeper and plastere and x her majastiy elite,,x army,,,,,ive seen i big reduction in the racing game,,,,,for winning a tile,,,,but they are alot faster

ive been winding club racer up,,,she won titles fae my brothers dog sugar rush,,,,mines a veteran now,,,,i keep winding her up,,,,everytime ya win a title my old vet will smash ya off levels,lol althou hes lighter

guess what my old vet keeps smashing her champ ,,,so much so i retired my vet on her 3rd title lol,,,,but this make me proud to be hardblood racer as she doent care and neither do i,,,as we have laugh ,,,,if it was the lurcher game all hell would break out

birddog,,,,,yer meaning sugar rush x almost bos breeding in future a breeding ive been fighting with my bro for years,,,but now there gettin out the game,,,ive not pushed it,,,,,and yes paddys breed a few lurchers ,,but ive stopped his linings now,,,,as if his pups dont make the grade he,ll never get to line again , its the hardblood way,,,they get there chance if they dont produce the goods,,,they never get breed again (best to best ) ,its the hardblood way,,,,,iam hearing good reports on some,,,,but next year will tell, :thumbs:

• Like 1

hi there bird dog ,whipps were allways multifunctional ,some would do a bit a rabbiting sat morn then of to the club 1 oclock racing . none peds are made up from beddys bull terriers greys and son just abut allsorts in the sixtys and seventys..high prey drive his a feature of the none ped in most cases , hope this helps. THE POINT I THINK WHAT WHIN his trying to get over was today ther his lines that can and will drain a battery on rabbs ,and also take larger and heavier game night in night out . to theres nought wrong in striving for better in the lurcher mans lurcher , such has was done over decades of non ped whipp racing . these types that whin favour and i must say myself included may also posess non ped in the breeding of this type some where along the lines ,there his in no way meant has any way derogatory of the whipp or the collie dog , whipps none peds grews lurchers call em what ya like they were a big part of my early yrs and still are in some members of my family , one would be a completse fool to be breed predigious atb bunnys.

hi there bird dog ,whipps were allways multifunctional ,some would do a bit a rabbiting sat morn then of to the club 1 oclock racing . none peds are made up from beddys bull terriers greys and son just abut allsorts in the sixtys and seventys..high prey drive his a feature of the none ped in most cases , hope this helps. THE POINT I THINK WHAT WHIN his trying to get over was today ther his lines that can and will drain a battery on rabbs ,and also take larger and heavier game night in night out . to theres nought wrong in striving for better in the lurcher mans lurcher , such has was done over decades of non ped whipp racing . these types that whin favour and i must say myself included may also posess non ped in the breeding of this type some where along the lines ,there his in no way meant has any way derogatory of the whipp or the collie dog , whipps none peds grews lurchers call em what ya like they were a big part of my early yrs and still are in some members of my family , one would be a completse fool to be breed predigious atb bunnys.

i raced them myself from the early 80's had a couple of champions :toast: but they also worked most game day and night my favourites were always bred more to the greyhound side and were fairly laid back cant remember having too much foot trouble they even came along over the rocks for a days fishing and seemed to handle walking over mussel beds and the like when collecting them or digging white rag. ive had allsorts of running dogs over the last 40 yr or so and although i personally favour certain types or breeds i'm firmly to each their own and keep an open mind to what other peeps like. i'm only trying to generate discussion as to whether working parents really are the be all, for me it doesn't matter if the bloodlines are there a good dogman will get the best out of his ward. ive had whippets from non working parents that were game as anything with tough feet and natural retrievers. i'm just in from lamping with my collie cross by a non working 1/4 greyhound stud out of a retired racer and she does fine :thumbs:

atb

birddog

Cheers.

Used to race years ago wi me dad and it wasnt uncommon to 12+ plus heats all 6 dog races, used to run at coxlodge,cramlington,rising sun,sunderland, winlaton and many more there was always plenty going on!! and like youve said its a shame its dying out!

ATB

Ryan

how many people on here have been blinded when young and niave about the lies hancock plummer etc show deerhounds etc have told , to sell pups and been conned ,years ago plummer yoused to bum the threqaurter greyhound up as the ultimate dog on hares back in the eighties then when they were not that good he tried the saluk cross etc ,did any youse get taken in with the black country sting , as i did a bit but soon woke up as before them there was good old fashioned lurcher to lurcher , this is not a dig at hancock lurchers just about getting hood winked with tale of merle woolly bear all the rest of it , it was a great read as a kid, must be afew on here who were hood winked, the funny thing was twenty 2 years ago i asked the man what were they like at catching he said look at all the pictures i have and stories of dogs i wrote ahah i even bought a book my life with lurchers, fech all about real hunting more about chicken farming

mate had hancock beardie/borderx very handy dog took plenty fox pre ban was good alrounder. First dog i seen take 3out of 3 hares was collie x no saluki x back then
  • Like 1

so have i saw collie type take hares had one but not a hancock pluss she retreived to hand with them still kicking , but come after christmas when hares titen up on big winter wheat the hares take abit of stopping , hopefuly the days of pet breeders hancocks etc are over and people have the sense to breed of tried and proven stock ,no life stuck in a pen for the rest of your life ,you neve see faults in a pen , or untried dogs or good pionts ,until you test them and push them on a bit

one must say some have different standards in the lurcher in general i am not on anbout match runners daytime . Even though they do only strive for the very best ,some take time out round new yr time when this his fetting close to when they are all at the best , some lurchers dont seem to take that extra leap up in class in fact they can be difficult to find and come across,early season stuff can be killed by the lorry load with a man who knows how to use the animal hes working ,these animals are not necesary premiership types but can be very mediocre, at the end of all this no matter who has working the animal there may become a time when breding and and only the very best ,will produce game night in night out.Understanding the seasons of game and when they start to step up ,his a learning curve we all has novices need to learn quickly and brreed accordigly .atbbunnys.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing is not many people have the time or space to produce linebred lurchers. If you don't personally know the breeder you could be buying any mix lurcher. My 3/4 Hancock was a very capable dog, never worked a dog with him that was faster, he had a good nose. Wouldn't tackle foxes but many don't and he sometimes yapped when he knew the hare was going to get to cover