another crayfishing trip

well, I got the outdoor boiler up and running, and it makes light work of sorting out the crays, on the wifes cooker, using her pots, boiling maybe 5 crays at a time, 100 took over 3 hours, having to replace water etc

well my new outside set up is the mutts nutts, total cost around £105, mostly sourced from good old evil bay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0U658xyynY

Ive only done a couple of test runs, but it'll boil cold water in 25 minutes, and theres enough space in the pot to boil around 30-40 crays depending on size, 5 minutes to boil the crays perfectly, then put the next lot in, Im going to try the american way, where they heavily spice the boiling water, although think I'll try using reggae reggae sauce

we boiled some yesterday, then after cooling, the missus put them in a pear cider batter and deep fried them

all the more exiting at nite ,were the nearst place with a good stack of crayfish to scotland wouldnt mind having ago be good crack scampi , like the reggae reggae sauce comes in handy for all sorts ,be afunny fine catching aliens to our country ,as in scotland no trespassing law ,dont no if there many up this way yet ,

Hello all, I put my traps out for 24hrs back in sept. I hadn't trapped this stretch for about a year it's a small river 20-25ft wide. I had 10 out baited with trout pellets. First one was in a pool about 20yds up a little side stream pulled it out NOTHING well two minows.I couldn't believe it this river is crawling with them. I was also surprised with the second one it was full 37, I just had to count the third 67 this is nuts! It's incredible how this alien creatures has overrun our waterways.

Cooking, if you have industrial kit like stubby no problem but I find the crays body mass knocks the water off the boil. Now I stab them in the head cut off tail & larger claws this way you can maintain the water at boiling point.

Dave

if you have industrial kit like stubby no problem but I find the crays body mass knocks the water off the boil. Now I stab them in the head cut off tail & larger claws this way you can maintain the water at boiling point.

Dave

thats a good tip mate,

• 2 weeks later...

D Dave, why did some nets catch and some not do you think? What was the difference between the catching spots and the empty nets spots - if we can work out the more productive kind of water it might help people be able to site their traps more effectively. I don't expect you to tell us which river you were on - but it would be interesting to know which county you are in. I know we have white claws a plenty in our rivers, but not sure how far the reds have crawled yet...I do know they are coming.

Great going Stubby, I do envy you boys for having them local, sommat i'd love to try. ;)

you'd be surprised mate,theyre getting fecking everywhere,i didnt think they were local to me but i was wrong,theres a lake bout 2 mile away thats lifting wi em,i took the kids wi some string and bits of chicken and we caught 32 :thumbs: maybe someone on here knows of any local to you :thumbs: mind you,i forgot your in liverpool,they've probably all been nicked :whistling::victory:

• Like 2

Great going Stubby, I do envy you boys for having them local, sommat i'd love to try. ;)

you'd be surprised mate,theyre getting fecking everywhere,i didnt think they were local to me but i was wrong,theres a lake bout 2 mile away thats lifting wi em,i took the kids wi some string and bits of chicken and we caught 32 :thumbs: maybe someone on here knows of any local to you :thumbs:mind you,i forgot your in liverpool,they've probably all been nicked :whistling::victory:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks mate, if someone does know of anywhere local to my area, please give me a shout. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Acuspell, there's nothing tactical about my trap setting. the river i trap comprises shallow runs and pools so there isn't much of a choice. i live in the cotswolds i only have one river near by holding these aliens. cotswold water park, colne valley, thames, lea valley are just some areas where signals are a problem. there are many more.

happy new year to all, good hunting for 2012

dave

Thanks for that Dave. I am further north, in the last stronghold for our native whiteclaws, the Peak District. My local river is the Dove and the Trent isn't far away. A couple of estate lakes locally where I have permission might be worth a try - if I catch whites I can always let them go.

Now I know why the Perch are so large in Cotswold Water Park. I have a friend who fishes there fairly regularly for the perch and he keeps me updates with his captures...4lb perch twice this year and plenty of 2lbers!

I'll leave it until the New Year then get some traps and do some trial soaks on permission waters.

i am going to trap the main birmingham canal in the middle of the second city as well as four other park ponds and still waters, once i started looking on google maps i was finding waters every where.

find the pdf form for your tags on the envio site and down load it, if you dont have a pdf twiddler do as i do print one out , i have signed up for three traps for the stills and ten for the canal and will then try each water to find them, to save on stamps you can scan and return the forms electronicly and they dont cost you any thing to deal with

Any advice for a complete crayfish novice from kent? I am a member of several fishing clubs that control some stream fed ponds/estate lakes and sections of river medway, river beult and royal military canal, anyone know if theres any about before i give it a try?