Best breed for first timer

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just depends what your wanting the dog to do.... a bit of advice from me would be, if your happy sticking with the bunnies a whippet x would be fine but what if you want to move on to other quarry a

Wouldnt have a clue but they get out of their kennels and kill shit just like their mommas and daddys did. Thats the most important thing right there.

it all depends what you want the dog for mate

Posted Images

I think it depends on what sort of person YOU are. If you have no patience then a saluki x isnt for you. If you are a very loud, dominant type of charecter then a collie cross isnt for you because they are very sensative. A bull x on the other hand needs a strong charecter. Beddy crosses are prone to doing there own thing, if you dont know how to deal with that it can be a problem. So..........there aint a short answer to your question. Also of course it does depend strongly on what your planning to hunt with the dog. I would recommend going out with a mate and there dog untill you have plenty of experience and preferably go out with a few different crosses so you can make a better desicion.

spot on mate, go for a lurcher to lurcher bred dog, that been tested on all quarry, maybe 1/4 bull in it if you want to tackle things that bite back. As some xs are only bred for edible stuff, and where you are you can still do foxes, so its what you going to hunt , to what x you have .?

My first is whipxgrey I went for speed on the rabbits which she's really good at.. Would never try her to anything bigger.. This is a great cross if you've smooth ground to run on as there very prone to injury so may not be for you..

1a1f7710.jpg

I met a lady once who had a first x whippet grey that was always pulling deer down. She kept it as a pet and kept it on the lead anywhere with the slightest chance of bumping into a deer. Funniest thing was she was even a vegitarian! Lol! She wouldnt sell it to me! :( What im saying is definately dont write them off as "just a rabbit dog".

I was out with her once and spotted a dear cross our path further down the field so put her on the lead and carried on.. When we got to where the deer had been the dog could smell it and was on her back legs pulling to go in the direction it had gone.. She'd never seen one to be fair as she's used only for rabbits. Always wondered what her reaction would be if she ever saw anything bigger and if she'd consider it as game..