young eubanks

maybe the bbbc do ,do more than other countrys a lesson learnd from the watson tragedy maybe -- when at the time they where uninsured i think watson had to sue them for a payout of around 350k if i`m right around half a million less then he would have got had they been insured ---

All sport evolves in and out the ring.....the sport just wasnt ready.. tragically incidents like these are sometimes the only way to learn and improve things.......More importantly than the money the Watson case paved the way for lads like Paul Ingle and Spencer Oliver in the medical improvements in this country and left them with a far better quality of life than he was left with himself.....few people realise the massive part Frank Warren played in the Watson thing as well.....he,s often slagged off and slated for things but what he did for Michael and the sport in general should never be forgotten in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not looking to get into an argument gnash .because you and i seem to clash sometimes on our opinions . but as for going to little old wales as you put it .why not .bruno fought lewis there didnt he .

same style as his da hope he dont meet a young steve collins

Or a young Joe Calzaghe .

I think Benn was washed up but I wouldn't say Eubank was. Eubank still had a lot of fight left in him when he fought Collins IMO.

Personally i dont think Eubank ever fought with the same hunger or desire after the Watson thing.....after Collins he had 3 more world title fights before retiring,and lost them all....maybe washed up is a bit strong,but certainly not the same fighter Benn or Watson fought........again,only my opinion like.

Yeah I suppose, the Watson bout did have an effect on him. But IMO he was still a formidable opponent for anyone and they had to be decent to beat him. I think Benn should of been given the decision in the rematch as well, but I suppose that's another thread altogether.

Young Eubank IMO has got talent, I thought he done well and I just hope that he has what it takes to reach the levels his old man did (and beyond) if he can.

Young Eubanks looked good but I'm nearly 62 and i would have looked good against that opponent.lol

No doubt he'll have a dozen more 'patsies' put in front of him and then a genuine opponent. I hate these ritual beatings up in order to make a fighter look good. It ain't boxing. It's more like wrestling.

I think the era of Collins, Benn, Eubanks was a bit like a mini version of the golden era of heavyweights we had in the seventies. They gave us some great scraps. I'm really surprised benn didn't suffer some brain damage considering the amount of heavy punches he took every time he fought.

• Like 1

Eubank is certainly a far better prospect that that useless heavyweight Tyson Fury. Seen more fury in me grandma lol

All Eubank jnr needs is advice from dad but when he is in the ring he should do it his way, he will learn, sometimes you need to get beat to learn

Young Eubanks looked good but I'm nearly 62 and i would have looked good against that opponent.lol

No doubt he'll have a dozen more 'patsies' put in front of him and then a genuine opponent. I hate these ritual beatings up in order to make a fighter look good. It ain't boxing. It's more like wrestling.

I think the era of Collins, Benn, Eubanks was a bit like a mini version of the golden era of heavyweights we had in the seventies. They gave us some great scraps. I'm really surprised benn didn't suffer some brain damage considering the amount of heavy punches he took every time he fought.

What Nigel Benn didnt go through his share of " mexican roadsweepers " as he used to call them.................learning on the job is part of the game mate,every fighter has done it.......even back in the good ol days ;)

Would calzaghe have done well in an ideal world they were all in there prime at the same time how would you rate him in this mix of boxers(gnasher)

In an ideal world Calzaghe would have sound hands, and I think he would of beat all of them at his very best and them at theirs. Not easily but I'd of picked him over Benn, Eubank and definitely Collins. Would of been good though, it is a shame he came a bit to late for Benn and Collins.

The fight he had against Eubank was meant to be Collins but Collins pulled out relinquished the title and retired. Eubank was already in training for another fight so he stepped in and fought Calzaghe, which turned out to be a brilliant fight. I remember my Mom and Aunts were sat round and they were all saying "Oh that skinny white lad is going to get murdered by Eubank" Then the fight started and Calzaghe cracked Eubank with a beauty and sent him across the ring on his ass lol. Great fight that was.

• Like 1

Im inclined to agree as regards Calzaghe v either Eubank or Collins......Eubank was the kind of fighter who liked to take rests during rounds and struggled when the fight wasnt fought at his pace,Calzaghes biggest quality was his workrate,he could fight 3 minutes of every round at a hard pace so for me Calzaghe would beat Eubank 9 out of 10 times,probably clearer than he did beat him as his style changed over the years......I dont think he would have knocked him out as Eubank had a chin of granite and Joe wasnt known for his punch power.....Collins i dont think would have been able to surprise him with anything either he was a good solid fighter but again Calzaghe for me would have just completely outworked him over 12 rounds.

Nigel Benn i think would have been more of a 50/50 fight.....im not sure Calzaghe would have been able to deal with his sheer intensity.........I think Calzaghe would again have outworked him,possibly outfought him......but he wouldnt have broken his heart and you know Benns just going to keep walking you down and of course his power would have to be respected.......would have been a very interesting fight thats for sure....id stick with Benn though if push came to shove.

Its just a shame Calzaghe waited for so many big name fighters to get old before fighting them....he should go down as an all time great British fighter but its so hard to judge his career when he placed more emphasis on an unbeaten record than fighting and beating the best.

Edited by gnasher16

Im inclined to agree as regards Calzaghe v either Eubank or Collins......Eubank was the kind of fighter who liked to take rests during rounds and struggled when the fight wasnt fought at his pace,Calzaghes biggest quality was his workrate,he could fight 3 minutes of every round at a hard pace so for me Calzaghe would beat Eubank 9 out of 10 times,probably clearer than he did beat him as his style changed over the years......I dont think he would have knocked him out as Eubank had a chin of granite and Joe wasnt known for his punch power.....Collins i dont think would have been able to surprise him with anything either he was a good solid fighter but again Calzaghe for me would have just completely outworked him over 12 rounds.

Nigel Benn i think would have been more of a 50/50 fight.....im not sure Calzaghe would have been able to deal with his sheer intensity.........I think Calzaghe would again have outworked him,possibly outfought him......but he wouldnt have broken his heart and you know Benns just going to keep walking you down and of course his power would have to be respected.......would have been a very interesting fight thats for sure....id stick with Benn though if push came to shove.

Its just a shame Calzaghe waited for so many big name fighters to get old before fighting them....he should go down as an all time great British fighter but its so hard to judge his career when he placed more emphasis on an unbeaten record than fighting and beating the best.

saucer of milk fo gnasher please :laugh:

pretty much agree on the out come of the calzaghe against eubank and collins, think ben would go the same way aswell to be honest hed have more of a chance than the others but joe would come through i think joes chin is very under rated i think he took some good shots through his career.

what do you all think about macrenelli in light heavy? im looking forward to a fight between him and ovil mckenzie who is local to me think it will be a good domestic fight my money would be on mckenzie :victory:

Saucer of milk :blink: whats all that about.

Macarenelli looked ok the other night but i fear for him to be honest as do a lot of folk within the sport...............once too many times to the well,i hope his love of the game doesnt cost him in the end he,s had some bad knockouts recently id like to see him hang the gloves up....but its never an easy thing to do.

• Like 1

Saucer of milk :blink: whats all that about.

Macarenelli looked ok the other night but i fear for him to be honest as do a lot of folk within the sport...............once too many times to the well,i hope his love of the game doesnt cost him in the end he,s had some bad knockouts recently id like to see him hang the gloves up....but its never an easy thing to do.

saucer of milk because you were being bitchy :laugh:

bit of home favourite crept in with benn i think :laugh: calzaghe cant help the fact he was a sheep worrier :laugh::thumbs:

i think the same think will happen to him when/if he faces mckenzie he cant half bang :victory:

saucer of milk because you were being bitchy :laugh:

bit of home favourite crept in with benn i think :laugh: calzaghe cant help the fact he was a sheep worrier :laugh::thumbs:

i think the same think will happen to him when/if he faces mckenzie he cant half bang :victory:

Wasnt being bitchy just saying what i thought....naturally id favour him being a West Ham boy but i genuinely think its a 50/50 fight both at their best.....trouble is Calzaghe wouldnt fight dangerous opponents at their best so all nil and void :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16