failed workers

the dog in my avatar is such a dog,,, i bought her at 2 years old,, for £60 at melton cattle market,, on a whim,, never bought an adut in my life.

lad that sold her told me she wernt good enough for coursing,, he was in to saluki types and she just wernt good enough. to be fair to him she had about 3 mins in the tank,, wich is good for a dog thats whipp/grey x deer/grey... but not good enough for some of the 5 min gruelers on the fens

anyway i cought plenty hares ,roe ,muntys loads of rabbits,,retrived live to hand... she wone the windmill double handed in 2003, and runner up the following year. all in all a great dog to me

im sure weve met the same lad :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: identical story :thumbs: only my meeting was 2005

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well thats your opinion, in mine if more people culled there would be a lot less in rescue centres, dumped, sold on the merry go round and alot less shit out there

I was given a dog before that was classed as a failed fox dog (collie/ghound x bull/ghound)and i gave him to a friend of mine because he wouldn't settle in my yard with my other dogs,but the lad i gav

If ye buy a pup or adult dog for a specific task and it cant fulfil that task its a failure and no good to ye simples,if the dog can fulfil other tasks for somebody else and there happy with it fair e

Posted Images

its the owners that are the failures in my eyes, inpatient and expect everything to happen in the first season. i have 3 and a half year old beddy/whippet who ive had out on the lamp 100s of nites and shes only ever caught about 10. she just cant twigg at the game at night. but in the day time shes an absolute excellent ferreting dog. so ive still got her and will never get rid of her. and i also have a 19month old beddy/collie/whippet/greyhound who is on his first season on the lamp and is doing great. so i now have a day and night dog for work. patients and and hard work is the key for me.

I think it is more the owner fault than the dogs, don't get me wrong I know there are alot of badly breed litters but a hell of a lot of people I've met in the lurcher game over the years are just not capable of training a lurcher by that i mean basic commands, a good recall, the correct age of entering for the dogs capabilities, all well bred dogs with a decent owner with a good understanding of dogs should turn out, a dog needs confidence and in my opinion should never be over matched. It's even surprising how people can totally ruin a lamping dog which is basically a point and run, as I've said I blame 85% of so called failed dogs on the owners.

• Like 1

If ye buy a pup or adult dog for a specific task and it cant fulfil that task its a failure and no good to ye simples,if the dog can fulfil other tasks for somebody else and there happy with it fair enough but its a failure in what ye wanted,to many are passed on when they should of been culled in my opinion though

• Like 4

a dog should never be culled, if it wont do the job you want it to do then dont pass it on as a worker, be honest or pass it to a loving pet home. hate the wat dogs get treated these days GRRRR.......

Well thats your opinion, in mine if more people culled there would be a lot less in rescue centres, dumped, sold on the merry go round and alot less shit out there

• Like 6

some of use make sense but good dogs are born and brought on properly , pre ban adog could catch 3 winter hares but if it was an as ender on roe to me adios to a more suited home cant abide dogs heavy mouthed on edible qaurry no good

I know one thing's for sure and that is that i'll not get a pup in from non tested parents ever again, and not take peoples word for it but see the parents working beforehand.

you breed from pets you get pets ;)

• Like 1

Ive seen some late starters turn good after a time, and most people I know are usually willing to wait, but the best dogs I know of are the ones that take to work straight away, usually needing holding back, rather than gently easing into it.

i would stay clear of dogs that are slow or late starters,not saying there no good,but lifes to short to be waiting on dogs that take 2 seasons to get going

• Like 4