Fox trapping and killing -- some advice needed.

How do the professionals do it?

I do pest control for a living, take a look at my website, link is below.

I know a couple of guys in London who use Rim Fire .305 rifles to take foxes in urban gardens. Likewise, small bore shotguns can be used discreetly. Where a firearm can't be used then trap and take it away to be dispatched. All perfectly legal.

The key is that the animal does not suffer and that the dispatch doesn't break the law, i.e. the conditions contained within the Food and Environment Protection Act 1985 which stipulates how pests and vermin may be controlled. You can't poison a fox, or gas them. Legal methods are shooting, live catch traps (you can relocate foxes although this is a contentious issue) and snares (both lethal and live capture). There is more legislation about types of snares too. The Wild Mammals Protection Act 1996 prevents the cruel treatment of all wild animals.

Personally I trap and take foxes for dispatch by someone with a firearms licence as I don't have one. Perfectly legal.

lethal snares to dispatch foxs? I assume you mean self locking snares???

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get yourself a dog and stop moaning.Just trap the feckers and despatch with the airgun .Used to shoot loads where i worked with a webley hurricane pistol in traps and on the snare line .Airgun in the

If a fox is shot dead with a single shot to the head with an air rifle there is no offence as the animal did not suffer.   But remember, some organisations or people will try to cause trouble no mat

youve all ready done something illegal an told everyone lol its illegal to shoot foxs with an air rifle for a start im sure it is ..... an if its not then its surely unethical an hardly humane way of

How do the professionals do it?

I do pest control for a living, take a look at my website, link is below.

I know a couple of guys in London who use Rim Fire .305 rifles to take foxes in urban gardens. Likewise, small bore shotguns can be used discreetly. Where a firearm can't be used then trap and take it away to be dispatched. All perfectly legal.

The key is that the animal does not suffer and that the dispatch doesn't break the law, i.e. the conditions contained within the Food and Environment Protection Act 1985 which stipulates how pests and vermin may be controlled. You can't poison a fox, or gas them. Legal methods are shooting, live catch traps (you can relocate foxes although this is a contentious issue) and snares (both lethal and live capture). There is more legislation about types of snares too. The Wild Mammals Protection Act 1996 prevents the cruel treatment of all wild animals.

Personally I trap and take foxes for dispatch by someone with a firearms licence as I don't have one. Perfectly legal.

Mate whats a Rim Fire .305 rifle? never heard of one of them before be interested to see one

• Like 1

I spoke to local pest controllers that I found through yell. they have *all* stopped 'doing foxes' - it's generally too timely and distracts from more commonly requested pests. Even so, the average price for a fox seems to be around £100. Too rich for my blood, so this will have to be a DIY job one way or the other. The people i called were really helpful. The bolt gun was mentioned and when i inquired about the technicalities, they said it involves catching the fox, pinning it down and sticking the thing on it's head! I don't fancy that.

So about the shotgun -- I am intrigued. If I get a shotgun license -- and supposing that I purchased a 'silenced' one -- am I allowed to use it for this purpose in my back yard? What does the law say on the matter? I have read that I cannot shoot one 'within 50 yards' of a public highway -- is that the only restriction? Please assume that I would have an appropriate back stop, that i will not be hitting any fences or shooting into the air etc etc. I've shot plenty of guns, just not in this country so i'm curious to know if a shotgun is a legal solution in my situation.

Cheers,

PJ.

I spoke to local pest controllers that I found through yell. they have *all* stopped 'doing foxes' - it's generally too timely and distracts from more commonly requested pests. Even so, the average price for a fox seems to be around £100. Too rich for my blood, so this will have to be a DIY job one way or the other. The people i called were really helpful. The bolt gun was mentioned and when i inquired about the technicalities, they said it involves catching the fox, pinning it down and sticking the thing on it's head! I don't fancy that.

So about the shotgun -- I am intrigued. If I get a shotgun license -- and supposing that I purchased a 'silenced' one -- am I allowed to use it for this purpose in my back yard? What does the law say on the matter? I have read that I cannot shoot one 'within 50 yards' of a public highway -- is that the only restriction? Please assume that I would have an appropriate back stop, that i will not be hitting any fences or shooting into the air etc etc. I've shot plenty of guns, just not in this country so i'm curious to know if a shotgun is a legal solution in my situation.

Cheers,

PJ.

if your using a fox cage trap you will be pointing the gun in the cage at the fox so it will be pointed to the ground which will be legal and depending on what gauge you use it might cause a stir with ya neighbors. a bolt gun is not recommended because as you have been told you will have to put your hand in to the trap and put the gun on the foxs head...not an easy task and if you value your fingers I would disregard that method straight away. Ring up your local police and ask how much it is for a SGL it differs from force to force although it is a very thorough process the police will need to be confident that you are a competent person to hold such a weapon (you will need to put on the form what gauge you are wanting to use - i.e 12, 20, 410 ) and checks will be made at your home address that you have a secure gun cabinet to keep your weapon(s) in. Do you not know anybody with a shotgun licence? if there is no rush to cull the number of foxs down, then wait it out until you have the correct means to do so.

AndrewEdwardDennis

Self locking snares are illegal.

danw

lol, I meant a .22 rifle with rimfire ammo. :bye:

"Legal methods are shooting, live catch traps (you can relocate foxes although this is a contentious issue) and snares (both lethal and live capture)

I know self locking snares are illegal, but your quote that I have underlined seems to state that self locking snares are legal as that is the only lethal snare? I may have just got it wrong tho of course...... :hmm:

theres more people than u think using bolt guns, if they are in snares all u need is a dog catch pole pin the fox down and bolt it, simples. in cages u can use killing combpush it at one end so its pushed against the cage and bolt it,

• Like 1

I actually thought i'd replied to this thread yesterday, but the post didn't seem to work.. I will try again!:)

I talked to a few local pest controllers. The ones I contacted all told me they had stopped doing fox control altogether. I did a bit of quizzing and they told me that the way they used to do it was by gassing and that it was too much work and not lucrative enough... even though the cost is high (about 100 pounds for one fox!!). He also advised against an air rifle and did mention using the bolt gun -- although that does not appeal to me at all whatsoever.

So all of the feedback i've received from you guys and the pest controllers i've spoken to has lead me to narrow down my dispatch options to two:

1) a shotgun

2) a rifle

The chickens will have to stay indoors or be accompanied out until one is put into practice. And as I don't like keeping them prisoner in their own home, i plan on moving ahead with one of these asap.

I'm actually a bit of a frustrated firearms enthusiast. Though I've never really done much shooting in the UK, i've done quite a lot in the US. So I'd really love to start shooting at a gun club anyway and perhaps work up to doing some hunting here. So what better than to get a gun license that I could use for both purposes. I know the pros and cons of each for the job at hand, but despite the greater margin of error in dispatching an animal from close range, I still think that a rifle would suffice. I'm thinking a .22 subsonic round of some sort would do the job in this case. It would not be a lot louder than my present air rifle, which would be a bonus. I could also use it for sport in general. I did a little research and was shocked by the power of even a sub-sonic .22 round. In short, it's my preferred choice. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the overall suitability for this particular purpose.

Also, i thought 'what the heck' and i called the police and asked them about getting a license and if dispatching a fox in my back yard would be legal. Of course, I didn't get a 'yes', but i did get an 'it could be done'. They'd have to come over and check the land etc.

Regards,

PJ

A .410 will be much easier to get than a .22. They practicall give shotty licences out, FAC is a far more rigorous process. If you want a shotty for despatch then put in for your shotty licence. You dont have to specify calibers or land you are shooting on, just say you are starting clay pigeon shooting, there shouldnt be a problem. Buy a second hand single barrell silenced .410, plenty about for 150 quid.

Personally I wouldnt go to the expense just for despatching a fox, it would be humane though!

If I were you, I would simply dispatch the fox with the air rifle, even a 11fpe .177 has enough power to kill a humane from 3-5m. From 10 cm, you can't miss, and the fox should die immediatly, I mean under 0,001second. I saw people shootinh wild hogs with hi-powered .22 airguns, so I think a fox is not an big opponent for an airgun.

If I were you, I would simply dispatch the fox with the air rifle, even a 11fpe .177 has enough power to kill a humane from 3-5m. From 10 cm, you can't miss, and the fox should die immediatly, I mean under 0,001second. I saw people shootinh wild hogs with hi-powered .22 airguns, so I think a fox is not an big opponent for an airgun.

a 177 would not have enough power to kill a fox the pellet wouldnt even be enough to penetrate the skull and even if it did it wouldnt kill it straight out air rifles are meant for small vermin, such as rooks, crows, rabbits, rats, squirrels etc...not a fox. Don't listen to this person if you were to do this you could very well open your self up to prosecution under the animal welfare act.. The advice you have been given is good advice apart from this comment....