The real deal

Guest smoothrun

Guest Tonedog

I know of dogs taking scrub cattle single handed, and I know there's no comparison between even the biggest red stag and a scrub bull.

The only question is whether a dog can be both fast enough to catch a red deer and strong enough to take one down, I think yes.

Edit: Hairy bull I can't answer all of your questions, but an adult red deer stag will be 300 kgs at least.

Edited by Tonedog

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exuse the writing when i talk about throat dogs , roe deer, trip him up ,get him down on to the throat as localy thats all we have as for red and roe , the fallow ive took down in sufffolk were hocked and the dog on the front had him by the head were ever and as for big reds only a fool would let a go ,a dog that can catch hundreds of roe to get feched , but waht a bout the higlanders and there deer hounds who must have took red deer and if you look further , saw too genuine tor of dartmoor crosse sdeach in the region of 75 pounds and eighty five both were well capable of pulling large deer and both killled foxes etc for fun , so no dreamers ive saw enough of dogs and kills to me a perfect res dog pack three dogs maybe four is and willl always be the american type stag hound sa wquite a few kill legal game and not so,, the best thing to stop reds are 243 308 , to me sika fallow and roe leave the red stags to the rifle men

the reds i have run in the daytime, a dog like that would not be able to get up to them. i thought they were going to be very slow and run like cows. boy was i in for a shock. the dog was slipped and he flew towards them, but they just got faster and faster, cleared a 5 bar gate without touching it, hit the road once and cleared the other side, with the dog still there. he didnt make contact until the very end of the next field. their stride is very misleading, they are big animals. these were english reds too so they were big boys, too big really and, with hindsight (no pun intended) i should have tried harder for a female. I managed to get an invite sorted for him for last season, but unfortunately he died. would have loved to have taken all 6 with the one dog single handed as i bet not many have done that. still, life goes on.... :hmm::yes:

the reds i have run in the daytime, a dog like that would not be able to get up to them. i thought they were going to be very slow and run like cows. boy was i in for a shock. the dog was slipped and he flew towards them, but they just got faster and faster, cleared a 5 bar gate without touching it, hit the road once and cleared the other side, with the dog still there. he didnt make contact until the very end of the next field. their stride is very misleading, they are big animals. these were english reds too so they were big boys, too big really and, with hindsight (no pun intended) i should have tried harder for a female. I managed to get an invite sorted for him for last season, but unfortunately he died. would have loved to have taken all 6 with the one dog single handed as i bet not many have done that. still, life goes on.... :hmm::yes:

they almost look like they`re just trotting and to the eye it looks like they`re movin fairly slow when in reality (due to their long stride) they`re going like the f****n clappers :clapper:

The only deer I've ever seen run was in Staffordshire in the early 90's. I had a collie that was a usefull dog on the lamp and during a daytime walk we came across a group of fallow, my dog took off after them and gave up after a couple of hundred yards as he realised he was well outmatched..........I really can't see a bandog even coming close :hmm:

is it not true that in the old days the dogs were used to run them

down and hold them at bay to be dispatched as a dog

that gripped spoiled the meat? i for one wouldent want to

slip my dog on one of these gladiators ill stick to the roe :laugh:

Right we have had the discussion on fallow being taken by all kind of lurchers but what about the awesome huge red deer. Anyone had any experience with taking reds with lurchers pre ban. This one creature that is not going to be taken by a 22" whippet cross :yes: because we all know it would get killed withe ease but what would you need how many and have anyone had any experience?

thanks for any replies

I was out with a well known Lurcher Coursing Club some years ago,one of the dogs running was a huge black and white bull cross,who showed surprising agility and speed,I beleive he weighed close on 100pounds,the owner told me he had taken red deer with it,and another fella backed him up,the man is a well known coursing man from Liverpool,a genuine bloke,so I would beleive him.

tone dog the only way any pig dog cross would catch a deer is if you flew up beside the deer in a ute and though the dog of the ute onto the deers back. theres a BIG difference between your dog getting close to them and actualy catching them i bet the deer arnt even running flat out they will still have a few gears left that they wont use until they realy need them. ive only taken a few deer with my staghounds and ive missed a heap were the dog just gets a grip but the deers weight and momentim pulls them free and the dog doesnt get another look in as they dont get anymore than 150 meters to nail the deer befor it hits real think cover.

i had a pure deerhound male for a few years he never had the speed to catch but ran with a faster dog was handy. the breeder i got him of was telling me about a hunt they were on with 4 deerhounds that were let of on a big red stag took the dogs into the bush stoped up againt a big gum and made dog kababs of 2 of the dogs and f****d the other 2 up good and proper befor rejoining his hinds and they were and experenced deer dogs. of cause it can and is done but its not something just any mutt can do regualy