Draw dogs

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some people run rabbits others run deer,some go ferreting others dig foxes its not a matter of people being scarred to handle quarry its the type of dog work ur into. i enjoy watching any dog do the j

NO NEED FOR DRAW DOGS, IF YOU CANT HANDLE YOUR QUARRY CONFIDENTLEY AT THE END OF A DIG LEAVE IT TO SOMEBODY WHO NOWS WHAT THERE DOING, AND DISPATCH THE CORRECT WAY, IMO PEOPLE USING DRAW DOGS ARE AFRA

Whats the problem now Mudd Dog.Them dogs are not knocked up they are good honest marks from doing what they were bred for WORKING.Are people so sensitive on a HUNTING SITE that photos of good honest g

Posted Images

Personally if I went for a hunt with a man that said his lurcher was killing foxs and we dug one and he requested to let his lurcher draw it out ! He'd be very disappointed because that wouldn't be happening. I'd be testing his dog to see if it's as good as he says and it certainly wouldn't be by drawing it. They're called running dogs for a reason.

dont think you'll be out with me cause my lurchers are with me every time im out hunting :thumbs:

mudd dog i never said a fox was a test of a lurcher in a hole, if they could not work a hole or run them night and day they be gone , also i can lamp rabbit with my lurchers and the bitch will bring back live to hand , i don't need a rabbit dog a wheaten or bull , and a lurcher for running them , i have it all in one dog why because i work it that way i know what i have in my yard thats all i need to know or prove to anyone each to there own ,

sounder

if any drawing dog is screaming his head off he is simply a bad drawing dog ,imho a drawing dog should be silent

You are getting confused between Trial dogs and drawing dogs.

Geronimo made noise on occasion , but was runner up, Dog of the Year in '71,'72.'73 and dog of the year in '74. You must keep some dogs if he wouldn't meet your standard for a drawing dog?

Total silence was a way of separating great dogs on any given day in just 6 minutes, a time quick enough to run through every dog in the competition. But not a real test of a dog, gameness or it's real ability as a Drawing Dog in the countryside where it mattered.

Don't let rules drawn up by the kennel club dictate to you or anyone what a good working dog is.

Bryan

bryan who owned geronimo i have heard of him but cant think who told me about him danny

but if someone comes on a say you have to do it one way or you not a terrierman well then i am not one or want to be i just work my dog the way i want , end of

sounder

Who said that? I can't find the post, Thanks.

Bryan

but if someone comes on a say you have to do it one way or you not a terrierman well then i am not one or want to be i just work my dog the way i want , end of

sounder

Bryan

snapback.pngneil cooney, on 05 October 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

Like I said before if you can't take a fox out of a dig whilst he's looking straight at you (terrier took away) then you shouldn't even be out trying to work a terrier.

Anyone can put a collar on a terrier.

A 5 year old child could operate a locator.

Most able men can use a shovel to some degree.

It's knowing what to do at the end that takes a terrierman.

If some one want's to work a strong dog at the end because he thinks that's a strongdogs job and it will better the breed then that's his own buissness.

But if someone sticks a 70 lb lurcher or a 40 lb strong dog in to get the game out because he might get bitten then he's a coward in my opinion and shouldn't be at this game.

What, it's ok for the terrier to get bitten, but f****d if I'll risk it.

A coward.

The best solution at the end of a dig is a firearm but a lot of us after the hunt/dig like to see our game run away (one of the beautys of terrierwork IMO compared to other fieldsports) and the quickest and most humane way on terrier and game is to use your hands.

IMO if you can't then your only someone who keeps terriers and not a terrierman, JMHO.

Page 8 I think...

Your lurcher will kill every fox he draws it will not kill everyone you let out respect your quarry!

Yeah, I said why keep lurchers if your gonna use them to draw foxs ? when it's clear they are built for speed to course and catch fox. A staff or a wheaten would suit you better. Then you started the lamping saga when it's clear the topic doesnt involve lamping.

why keep two dogs to do one dogs job alrounder would come into it , if my terrier get up to the fox it dead anyway !!!!! whats the diffent in a lurcher killing it where the repect for the quarry when the terrier is whaleing it lol there bull in my lurcher will that do !!!!!lol

sounder

well sounder my terrier has only killed one fox in five years an it took it 11 hours to do it when i open a hole its spade in and terrier out no point in getting the terrier busted when it dosnt have what it takes

same here terrier out if i can let it run i will handle it or stand back and let it off,even dropped it out for a young lurcher but somtimes i let the lurcher in to kill it. simple that what i do other might disagree fine !!!!! but if someone comes on a say you have to do it one way or you not a terrierman well then i am not one or want to be i just work my dog the way i want , end of

sounder

:thumbs:

sounder

Bryan

snapback.pngneil cooney, on 05 October 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

Like I said before if you can't take a fox out of a dig whilst he's looking straight at you (terrier took away) then you shouldn't even be out trying to work a terrier.

Anyone can put a collar on a terrier.

A 5 year old child could operate a locator.

Most able men can use a shovel to some degree.

It's knowing what to do at the end that takes a terrierman.

If some one want's to work a strong dog at the end because he thinks that's a strongdogs job and it will better the breed then that's his own buissness.

But if someone sticks a 70 lb lurcher or a 40 lb strong dog in to get the game out because he might get bitten then he's a coward in my opinion and shouldn't be at this game.

What, it's ok for the terrier to get bitten, but f****d if I'll risk it.

A coward.

The best solution at the end of a dig is a firearm but a lot of us after the hunt/dig like to see our game run away (one of the beautys of terrierwork IMO compared to other fieldsports) and the quickest and most humane way on terrier and game is to use your hands.

IMO if you can't then your only someone who keeps terriers and not a terrierman, JMHO.

Page 8 I think...

Isn't that at least 3 different ways? Or am I being thick?

if any drawing dog is screaming his head off he is simply a bad drawing dog ,imho a drawing dog should be silent

Geronimo made noise on occasion , but was runner up, Dog of the Year in '71,'72.'73 and dog of the year in '74. You must keep some dogs if he wouldn't meet your standard for a drawing dog?

Total silence was a way of separating great dogs on any given day in just 6 minutes, a time quick enough to run through every dog in the competition. But not a real test of a dog, gameness or it's real ability as a Drawing Dog in the countryside where it mattered.

Don't let rules drawn up by the kennel club dictate to you or anyone what a good working dog is.

Bryan

Six minutes my friend is a long time to be dancing in the dark with the stripey fellow up the shore.If that is not a real test of a dogs gameness i dont know what is(except the obvious).A drawing dog in the country side has a very simple job to do stick in his head and pull out whatever is in front of him(now adays fox)This should be a simple job for most cur dogs who have the slightest bit of power and i would not give much street cred to a dog who specializes in this task.Even in Countrys where badger digging is allowed to open a hole and let in a draw dog is no test of the dog again most cur dogs with a bit of power should be able to pull him out on the sod(no test)The test for the dog is to let him up a proper shore with the lights turned out.I wonder how many would stay there(very few i suspect)As for making noise there are two different kinds of noise the obvious one barking and sqealing(he is afraid of what is in front of him)The second kind of noise is a working noise when some dogs are mixing and pulling in the shore you would hear a snort or a noise come out the side of his mouth(not to be confused with barking)but it often was by inexperienced judges or politics(yes that went on to)Bottom line most draw dogs now adays (not all)are not worth a wank except for the ones kept by the people(as someone else said)who specialize in it again they know who they are.

Personally if I went for a hunt with a man that

said his lurcher was killing foxs and we dug one

and he requested to let his lurcher draw it out !

He'd be very disappointed because that wouldn't

be happening. I'd be testing his dog to see if it's

as good as he says and it certainly wouldn't be

by drawing it. They're called running dogs for a

reason.

dont think you'll be out with me cause my

lurchers are with me every time im out hunting

:thumbs:

mudd dog i never said a fox was a test

of a lurcher in a hole, if they could not work a

hole or run them night and day they be gone ,

also i can lamp rabbit with my lurchers and the

bitch will bring back live to hand , i don't need a

rabbit dog a wheaten or bull , and a lurcher for

running them , i have it all in one dog why

because i work it that way i know what i have in

my yard thats all i need to know or prove to

anyone each to there own ,

sounder

I understand sounder. Im just in threw the door from a nights lamping with the lads, great crack we had. Even though I don't own any lurchers myself, I do enjoy watching them work. Everyone to there own, if we all had the same opinions and agreed on everything it would be a boring world. Lol... Cheers...MUDD DOG...atb

• Like 1

Laim, 6 minutes is no test for any dog imo.

Dev i don,t think Liam means that 6 mins is a test ,these rules where set out by the commitee of the association

at that time ,a strong dog was give six minutes to remain completley silent with his game and try to draw it ,

when men who knew what their game was about schooled there dogs im sure there was a few who gave there

strong dogs more than six minutes up their home made shores ..

Bryan

Six minutes my friend is a long time to be dancing in the dark with the stripey fellow up the shore.If that is not a real test of a dogs gameness i dont know what is(except the obvious).A drawing dog in the country side has a very simple job to do stick in his head and pull out whatever is in front of him(now adays fox)This should be a simple job for most cur dogs who have the slightest bit of power and i would not give much street cred to a dog who specializes in this task.Even in Countrys where badger digging is allowed to open a hole and let in a draw dog is no test of the dog again most cur dogs with a bit of power should be able to pull him out on the sod(no test)The test for the dog is to let him up a proper shore with the lights turned out.I wonder how many would stay there(very few i suspect)As for making noise there are two different kinds of noise the obvious one barking and sqealing(he is afraid of what is in front of him)The second kind of noise is a working noise when some dogs are mixing and pulling in the shore you would hear a snort or a noise come out the side of his mouth(not to be confused with barking)but it often was by inexperienced judges or politics(yes that went on to)Bottom line most draw dogs now adays (not all)are not worth a wank except for the ones kept by the people(as someone else said)who specialize in it again they know who they are.

all that shit is at the root of all the restrictions on people today its part of the past where it should be :thumbs:

• Like 1