Injurys - big dogs v small dogs

Would people say that bigger lurchers/running dogs are more prone to injury than the smaller ones? due to more weight, more speed (in some cases), less agile, more momentum, further to dip down on the strike etc.? I would expect this to be the case but I was just wondering what peoples experiences of this is?

well i ran a whippetx grey 21tts . smashed her self so many times i lost count , to the point ive had her pts from an injury , but my big dog 26tts has had a lot of falls and has hit posts and fences at full speed and so far so good , hes built to last ............. i hope iam not jinksing my luck by typeing this :huh:

atb Calum :thumbs:

My big 4 year old bitch - 26" or thereabouts - is covered in scars, had plenty of gashes/tears/sprains/strains etc. Can't take her anywhere, she's guaranteed to injure herself in some way. She's mental.

The whippet, who is 2 1/2yrs old, nicked the tip of his ear flushing bunnies from the cover this week. And that's about it :laugh: I call him the Teflon Frankenwhippet 'cause he never really gets hurt and he's 22.5" of love :laugh:

• Like 1

From my experiences some dog's are prone to injury no matter what height or weight they do or don't make..but i have seen the injuries become less frequent with age/experience and maturity around the 5yr old mark..but then again some dog's have a death wish that will end there hunting life sooner rather than later..

would it not go on how experienced the dog is rather than size?

I think it's probably down to the individual dog more than anything, just like some people are more accident prone than others. :yes: When I used to work with my brother, the daft c**t was lucky if he went through a full week without falling off a crate, falling off a ladder or smashing his head on the scaffolding! :laugh:

got a terrier that put up a hare last year in long grass,she shot off after it and ran straight into a iron bar sticking out off the ground slashed her shoulder couldnt see the bar because of the length of the grass,also have a beddy whippet that thought it would be ok to jump through the middle of a

barbed wire fence after a rabbit he took a chunk out of his chest and didnt bat an eye lid.prey drive in them some dogs will half kill them selves to get to there quarry

Small dog here - 21.5 ", 18 month or just under, so far had a back leg mangled from hitting a piece of sheet metal, a hole in his side from smashing into a fence in cover, and yesterday a gash on the leg and face from plowing into a barbed wire strand strung a foot off the floor, again, hidden by cover. All done in pursuit of game, all needed vet attention, the first two under anesthetic. Dogs a mad wee b*****d. No reverse gear, i swear he's run through fire for a bunny.