.17 hmr group

nice anschutz duncan.i was getting similar groups to pipcocks first photo but with a flyer every now and again.if this is the best my rifle could do rested , how would it group off a fence post at 130 yds with a 5mph wind? would you take a shot with confidence.i am convinced its ammo not rifles but when you use a hi mag scope and your cross is still yet the rounds land elsewhere its frustrating.when hunting my annie had a 90% success rate it was only punching paper that got me frustrated.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

oh well at least i f****d up on a public forum.very similar.no hope he he

understand that but some people like to know exactly were there at.i am told that if you don;t clean the barrel accuracy will suffer and barrel life will shorten.the reason for worrying about groups i

Posted Images

ive had both the anschutz 1517 thumbhole and the cz 452 and have to say although the anschutz was the more accurate off a bench it was also the most temprimental having to pull a bore snake through every half a dozen shots or so, the cz on the otherhand was a dream and only neeeded a clean after a night out. if i was in the market for another i know whot i would buy. atb paulus

hi chaps what .17hmr do you shoot and how does it group at 100 yrd in " got rid of an anschutz as it failed to group on a 2p but perhaps thats normal thanks for your time.

having read the repliesi will add this i had an anschutz in the early days when i did not know to clean a rifle and it was awesome but i cleaned my last one every time and it was not half as accurate.maybe a coincidence.any thoughts on this?

nice anschutz duncan.i was getting similar groups to pipcocks first photo but with a flyer every now and again.if this is the best my rifle could do rested , how would it group off a fence post at 130 yds with a 5mph wind? would you take a shot with confidence.i am convinced its ammo not rifles but when you use a hi mag scope and your cross is still yet the rounds land elsewhere its frustrating.when hunting my annie had a 90% success rate it was only punching paper that got me frustrated.

LOLS! Its a Weihrauch :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

if i had a hmr that consistently grouped on a squid i would be made up.what ammo and will it do that every time? nice shooting hawkeye

Sorry to take so long to reply i had forgotten about this thread.

Yes it does that regularly but it depends on me at the end of the day the rifle is capable its the nut on the butt that can cause it to miss..

I use Hornady 17gr V max but i just tried some federal the other day and they were as good if not better on the day..

And it only gets cleaned ( bore snake ) every couple of boxes or so no set pattern its a case of if i remember it gets pulled through.. :angel:

Ive had marlins, weirachs, and czs.

Ive found that all shot about the same accuracy wise.. The weirach 66 was accurate but not practical for field use.

I dont think that the hmr calibre is as accurate as people make out, and tends to be barrell fussy, in some cases needing cleaning after only a few shots to retain accuracy.

This is my second year of running a CZ Hmr & it ain't a black art owning one....it's a rimfire,simples.Can't understand why people are running a centrefire cleaning regime on one :huh: .Keep the barrel dirty on mine all the time & it shoots as good as i can use it.People get this little round & expect it to do wonders,flat trajectory,single hole groups.....My routine for using Hmr,bolt in,fill magazine,one in the breach,rangefind rabbit & shoot...end of day,mod off,wipe crown & gun over,put in cabinet till next outing :thumbs:

understand that but some people like to know exactly were there at.i am told that if you don;t clean the barrel accuracy will suffer and barrel life will shorten.the reason for worrying about groups is to ensure a clean kill and to preserve good meat.if your rifle shoots well enough without cleaning you are lucky some are not so lucky simples if the round comes out at 2500 fps and leaves powder residue why would you not clean same as a centerfire :hmm:

• Like 1

understand that but some people like to know exactly were there at.i am told that if you don;t clean the barrel accuracy will suffer and barrel life will shorten.the reason for worrying about groups is to ensure a clean kill and to preserve good meat.if your rifle shoots well enough without cleaning you are lucky some are not so lucky simples if the round comes out at 2500 fps and leaves powder residue why would you not clean same as a centerfire :hmm:

Exactly! Rimfire is only a means of ignition, not an inferior tool.

Now what you shoot with it is a different matter. ;)

its the ammo guys. i had a annie 1517 hmr and it was lovely and accurate. then some days different batches of poor ammo would open the groups right up. in the end I got rid and that's why

me and my dad had the 17 fireball done instead.

more power,better accuracy, and most of all consistent groupings. dont get me wrong the hmr is a good little rabbit and the odd fox rifle. but the price of ammo going up for it and the poor consistency peed me off in the end